April 23, 2014

The O'Briens are leaving American Morning

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 4th 2007 11:21AM

TV Week is reporting that CNN will make an official annoucement today about the fate of their morning show American Morning and the show's anchors, Miles O'Brien and Soledad O'Brien (from now on referred to as "The O'Briens.")

The two anchors are leaving the CNN program (ratings are down) and they are expected to be replaced by John Roberts and Kiran Chetry. If you're not sure about that name, Kiran Chetry is a woman who used to be on FOX News Channel's Fox & Friends. John Roberts came over to CNN last year and is, of course, a man.

No one's sure what will happen to The O'Briens, though they will probably stick with CNN, Soledad in a new deal (hey, they should bring back The Site, with that computerized cafe guy!) and Miles going back to his NASA/space beat and features. This isn't one of my regular viewing experiences (I channel surf around ABC, CBS, and NBC early in the morning), but I might check in to see if they're going to radically change things to compete with MSNBC's Don Imus and Fox & Friends.

[via TV Newser]

rick

well you dumped soledad obrian, will not watch cnn news anymore, back to good old NBC.
boo cnn

June 18 2007 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

I miss Soledad. She was a true professional, that was so absolutely intellegent ,attractive and sincere. If they for one minute think that she is the reason that their ratings are down, then.. they do not deserve her. I have no desire to watch the show anymore.

May 30 2007 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerry Kennedy

Watching Soledad and Miles while getting ready for was my favorite part of the day. I caught up on what was going on around the world and loved the chemistery between Soledad and Miles. When their show started coming hours earlier I woke up earlier just to see them. I really miss them. I no longer watch CNN in the morning. I watch my local station while getting ready for work.

May 25 2007 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M. F. Withrow

Soledad was my very favorite morning anchor. I miss her. I can understand Miles returning to his specialty of space and science. I miss Bill Hemmer too but I refuse to watch FOX; it's like reading National Inquirer. CNN would be more interesting if it wasn't quite so repetitive; your cameral people surely take more than one shot of an event so why do you run the same picture over and over?

May 23 2007 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanette Bismark

My husband and I are both frustrated with the plastic people replacements for Soledad and Miles O'Brien. We have routinely watched CNN's American Morning and tried to be open-minded and give these replacements a chance. However, now we are channel surfing, looking for more real people. We're also disappointed in the manner in which they were replaced. Their disappearance without comment makes it appear that CNN thinks their viewers are also so unaware that they won't notice when real people are replaced by animated mannequins.

May 22 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s young

Our mornings haven't been the same since Daybreak went off the air and was replaced with the 6 a.m. version of American Morning. Carol and Chad were much more inviting and down to earth, and had a better view of the entire country, including the rural areas. It seemed like the personal comments that would come from American Morning were based only on a New York, big city, or attitude.

May 17 2007 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meryem

I really miss Soledad O'Brian each morning. She was so professional, direct, down to earth, spontaneous and genuine. She had a gift for making people feel at ease and made her viewers feel that they were not getting a sugar coated version of her reports.l I find these characteristics to be refreshing in today's world. When CNN ratings dropped, was it assumed that it was because of the reporters? Could it simply be that this news itself is just not news any longer?

May 14 2007 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann guiffre

Really miss Soledad and Miles O'Brien here in Okinawa, Japan. It was a nightly ritual at our house to check in with them to find out what was going on in the world and back home in the states. Both were refreshing and worked well together. Hoping that CNN brings them back in a similar format and that AFN will add them back in the evenings here. It is like losing friends and the other news shows are too magazine-ish for our tastes.

May 11 2007 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elena

I was really unhappy to see this change in CNN. Miles and Soledad had great conversations towards the viewers. They did not sound like your average teleprompter reader. I changed to American Morning after watching Katie change directions from The Today Show.. another fatal error. But in any case, it is a terrible decision. Shame on CNN... not interesed in any of your shows except for Anderson and of course, Larry if he is not convering Anna Nicole Smith.

April 24 2007 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
conil24

CNN--Don't let middle America turn you into a faint shadow of the intelligent news station that you were. Your endorsement of Nancy Grace, Wolf Blitzer, Glen Beck, coupled with the firing of Aaron Brown, now Soledad O'Brien and Miles O'Brien show that you are out to be squeaky clean and graphically centered. Your coverage of the Virginia Tech Shootings this week catered to the lowest in people--gun shots galore and intelligence lost under the table. CNN--you're going to lose me and other viewers to Countodown and BBC and Public Broadcasting now that you've entered this search for records place.
It's a shame the John Roberts has been rewarded this way for all his work in Iraq. Shame on you-I remember your opening in the mid 1980s and what promise you had of being really groundbreaking. Shame on who owns you.

April 22 2007 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply