April 24, 2014

66th annual Peabody Award winners announced

by Julia Ward, posted Apr 5th 2007 1:02PM
When the Levees Broke Peabody AwardThe Peabodys are an interesting case in a world over-saturated with award ceremonies and self-congratulatory accolades. The Peabodys don't actually have categories or even a set number of awards to give out every year. The good folks at the University of Georgia's Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication just give them out as they deem necessary, and their goal isn't just to recognize local news stations or broadcast journalists. The Peabodys' aim is to hold up examples of "what can and should be done in the worlds of journalism, entertainment, documentary, education and public service," or so their press release tells me.

This year, the Peabodys recognized a more than worthy group of broadcasters, producers, networks and documentarians. Among the television shows honored were Ugly Betty, Scrubs, Friday Night Lights and The Office. Aaron McGruder's Boondocks was honored for its "Return of the King" episode. BBC America, HBO's When the Levees Broke and Elizabeth I and even Good Eats with Alton Brown received recognition from the Peabody committee. To see a full list of the awardees, visit the Peabody website.

Rob

What,.. nothing for Battlestar Galactica?!

April 05 2007 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I hate the Emmys and have a mild contempt for the Golden Globes, but I love the Peabodys and the AFI top 10 series list. No categories, no nominees, no celebrity brown nosing awards show. Just "these shows are awesome." And they don't just pick highly rated shows, FNL this year, Battlestar Galactica in the past, and the point out the even lesser known stuff that I can stick on my netflix queue.

Also, that Boondocks episode was really good.

April 05 2007 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

Huzah! "Good Eats" got one!

April 05 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

radwimp wrote: "I really hope this Peabody win secures a second season for Friday Night Lights"

ditto!!!

I don't always give critical opinion that much weight, but in the case of FNL the critics are right.

April 05 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

I really hope this Peabody win secures a second season for Friday Night Lights :(

April 05 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply