April 17, 2014

Here's why 30 Rock was renewed and Studio 60 won't be

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 5th 2007 5:20PM

30 RockAnd please, this isn't a post about "quality" or "that show sucks!"

Actually, it comes down to this: 30 Rock is owned by NBC and Studio 60 is owned by Warner Brothers. That's one of the many interesting bits of info in Lisa de Moraes' Washington Post column. I mean, that has to be the reason.

As de Moraes points out, it can't be because 30 Rock got better ratings than Studio 60, because Studio 60 got better ratings. It can't be because 30 Rock got a higher rating in the all-important 18 to 49 demo, because Studio 60 had higher ratings there, too. And it can't be because 30 Rock gets the upscale viewers that networks and advertisers like, because Studio 60 was just as good if not better there, too. And I don't think it's because Studio 60 is more expensive than 30 Rock, though that might tie into the whole ownership thing.

It is funny to see Kevin Reilly not really talk about Studio 60, a show he was "really behind" and greenlighted for a whole season. The way he talks now, 30 Rock is the centerpiece to NBC's entire future.

Another interesting point that de Moraes brings up? 30 Rock moves to the Thursday at 9 slot later this month. That's the same time slot that Studio 60 was originally going to be in before they moved it to Mondays at 10 to get away from the Grey's Anatomy machine.

Oh well. I like 30 Rock, too, so I guess it's good that it's a quality show that survived. I just wish Studio 60 could stay in there instead of more reality shows and dramas that have been on for far too long.

jeff a

I think studio 60 is one of the best shows on tv right now and will be heart broken if someone doesn't pick it up, the characters are great they really draw you in, to tell you the truth the first time i saw it i found studio 60 hard to follow, but i caught it a second time and was immediately hooked, now i can't get enough, it reminds me so much of how real people interact in the real world, not tv land, as for 30 rock i really don't see what anyone gets out of that show, i am so burnt out on the nbc comedy lineup it makes me sick, scrubs, the office, and 30 rock all kinda fall into the same formula, they are like parodys of other shows, a parody is alright every once in a while but to watch these shows week in and out i find it mind numbing, you never really care about any of the characters because its so fake believe, and i can't distinguish between epsodes because nothing noteworthy ever happens. I know i am going to get slammed about this entry, because most people don't like to think when they are watching tv and studio 60 really makes you stop and think, its like they are telling you are story with each epsoside, more like a movie than a tv series.

April 29 2007 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ethan

I'd love to see Sports Night II or The West Wing II, but Studio 60 just ain't it. While I gave it every opportunity to win me over, I was forced to conclude that it's a mess of insultingly hammered-in political rhetoric and bad soapy romance.

Put S60 out of its misery now, and bring on the 30 Rock while Sorkin regroups. Whatever financial considerations may be involved, we're still left with the better show. For once, it works out.

April 28 2007 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Studio 60 is clever witty and interesting - 30 Rock is cheap simple and dumb. Which best suits a mass-market American audience? S60 never stood a chance!

April 28 2007 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LindaM

I don't know about anyone else, but while I was watching 30 Rock because it was mildly entertaining, I will no longer be able to watch it without retching if I see Alec Baldwin on screen. His tirade towards his 11-year old daughter was unforgiveable. I don't care how mad someone is at their ex, you DON'T treat the kids that way. He's a bully and quick frankly, a sicko. 30 Rock (and anything else NBC airs with Alec Baldwin in it!) just lost me for good.

April 20 2007 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicasha

I'm finished trying new shows. Studio 60 canelled? It's time for me to turn off the boob tube and get back into reading a good book.

April 14 2007 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

It makes me very disappointed to see Studio 60 being avoided and that chances are it's pretty much over.

I mean there aren't very many shows these days that really try and make you think. Studio 60 felt like it was a series of black/dark comedy (Not the race, dark humor and the like) where people were cynical, the characters had really strong ties and the like, it felt a LOT like it was some kind of book series at first if you can understand what I mean.

Shows like this and Dead Like Me are very under appreciated today. You never see the thought provoking comedy/drama mesh get supported these days, look at (Yes, some people might dispise me for this) Related! That was basically a nice mesh of a typical female geared dramedie that, from my point of view, had a lot of good plots going on all at once. You had to understand the characters, the people around them and how everything was tied together. Sure people could KIND OF watch it at any point but in order to fully enjoy things, you had to be watching from at least 2 or 3 episodes ago...

Really, america doesn't care for long drawn out character focused shows anymore. Heroes is ONLY surviving because the people who watched LOST are desperate for something that has a mildly understandable plot. All the crime drama's survive cause they're crime drama's... Cept for Criminal Minds, again one of the few thinker shows out there that are lucky to be on. And ANOTHER atrocity of a show that's only on cause america is desperate is Grey's Anatomy. I mean come on, it's a soap opera for gods sake, just one with a higher production budget.

April 10 2007 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

30 Rock fits NBC's programming, S60 not so much. NBC tends to have clear cut comedies and dramas. I never really knew what S60 was the 2 times I tried to watch the boring crap.

30 Rock is funny, with no apologies and no compromises. The have an ensemble cast, each with strong comedy backgrounds. They couldn't mess it up.

Besides, the 'Friends' jinx.

April 09 2007 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

My thoughts exactly:

11. Wow, Bob.... Bitter?

30 Rock can slam religion and republicans and still be fun.

Studio 60 is just a condescending show.

Get over yourself

Posted at 11:13PM on Apr 5th 2007 by patel

April 09 2007 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Gee, let's beat up on Bob because he has a brain...

WTF, people? Relax! Truth be told, 30 Rock is fun but fluffy -which is fine. Studio 60, far superior as art is too high-brow for an ADD-plagued and under-educated United Statesian audience, generally-speaking. therefore it'll likely suffer the same fate as other critical successes such as My So-Called Life and Northern Exposure.

Call me arrogant, call me whatever you like. However, it'd be foolish to think that the same dimwhits that voted Bush into power (only to FINALLY regret it today, 6.5 years later), would like a samrt show like Studio 60. Funny, as United Statesians we recognize how our education system needs work but we'd never admit that the by-product of such a system is ethnocentric, ignorant masses who lack full cultural perspective. A recent major study found 70 percent of UNIVERSITY STUDENTS in this country are culturally illiterate. Think about it.

For the majority of us, we don't like Studio 60 any more than we like to read classic literature, take care of our bodies and planet or truly participate in our "democracy".

THIS is us.

Now, realize my predictions and start calling me names. :-)

April 08 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coma

Well, I enjoy boths shows. I'm a fan of the 30 Rocks writers, because the jokes are a little bit more unconventional than those on other sitcoms.

But that doesn't change the fact that Studio 60 was a good show. Sitcoms as a whole are meant to appeal to people with a sense of humor. Dramedy's are on a entire different scale. Especially Sorkin drama. So it's completely understandable why some people don't like it. You're expected to use your brain, laugh, and get involved with these characters. Not just laugh at them.

It was a good show, but I think it came on a little big for its britches. Everyone just assumed that people would love it, and in the end it was just an extention to the old West Wing that everyone loved.

I will buy the Season on DVD, and I will continue to enjoy 30 Rock on the air. Just stop comparing them because they are two very different fish.

April 08 2007 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply