September 17, 2014

Medium: Joe Day Afternoon

by Brett Love, posted Apr 5th 2007 9:01AM
David Cubitt - Medium(S03E17) Ok, this was a really good episode, and Adam Goldberg was a nice bit of casting. I'll get to all that in a minute, but first up. Where the heck was Scanlon? I realize that the Medium world revolves around the DuBois clan, and the rest of the cast are merely players in the telling of their story. But this was a hostage situation. And there is nothing for "Detective" Scanlon to do there? The D.A. shows up, but we can't get our favorite detective on site? It didn't ruin the episode, but it did stand out as something that was missing.

Lack of casting aside, I thought that team Medium delivered another winner tonight. They continued the trend of getting great guest stars as well. Adam Goldberg was terrific as Bruce. I'd put him just behind Mark Sheppard as my second favorite of the season. But then, "Blood Relations" remains my favorite episode of this go round. They kicked things off on just the right note with the strange DREAD opening. That, combined with Allison's cryptic dream really set the mood for what was to come.

The structure of the episode was well thought out too. Things like Bruce's little game with the forgotten access card being revealed when Kravitz let everyone know he had been fired. Or Ariel's vision where we learned the motivation for what Bruce was doing. Even Bruce laying out just what his caper was. As soon as he revealed his plan, with the money going to the Caymans, it was clear that he planned to kill all of them. It all served to keep things interesting.

I liked all of the scenes in the conference room. Goldberg was as good as expected, but Larry Miller managed to steal a couple scenes from him. He was the perfect choice for the smarmy, better than you, senior executive. Kravitz had quite the little story arc to him as well. It was interesting to see how his attitude changed after Aaron was killed. And he did redeem himself as his actions saved both Joe and Melinda.

Speaking of Aaron though, two things stood out to me where he was concerned. First, dang, that was a shocking moment. It caught me completely off guard after Joe's "you haven't hurt anyone." And second, did anyone else find it odd that we didn't get to see any of Allison's interaction with him? At this point we know enough about how that works to just take it at face value, like Devalos did when she asked for access to be able to speak to him. It just seemed like a natural scene to show. Not so much Aaron repeating to Allison what the viewer already knew, but maybe her helping him to deal with what has happened to him in some way. It wasn't crucial, but there was some potential there.

This was another strong week for Joe. He was cool under pressure and I really liked his logical reasoning argument to Bruce. Plus, when the stuff hit the fan, he covered up Melinda. That was also a really nice scene at the end with Allison and Ariel watching him sleep.

As far as Ariel goes, I find the visions of the children very intriguing. I think it's something that we will keep seeing more and more of as the series goes on, and I'm all for that. It works on both levels as we get to see how they will react to the ability, and how Allison reacts to them getting the ability. It's something that has been touched on before, but there is still plenty of room to explore.

Overall, another solid one in the books. A couple of quibbles, but they are more than offset by an interesting tale and some great performances

kory

What was the featured song in Joe Day Afternoon?

April 07 2007 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greg

If David Cubbit is a series regular then he gets paiod for as many episodes as in their season, regardless if he is in them or not, becosue he is paid to be available to the writers if they choose to use him

April 05 2007 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

You just never know what you're going to get with this show and that's what makes it so great. I would think it would be easy for a show like this to become formulaic but the writing is always fresh.

Betty, actors are paid per episode.

April 05 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carpincho

More Joe. These episodes where he has a strong showing are much better than the usual. Also, it was good to see Allison show more emotion than just confusion at her dreams. She can be a bit one-dimensional at times.

I don't know how much I want to see the kids and their drama with the abilities. Allison seems to have a very loose handle on hers so there's enough drama to be had with her alone.

April 05 2007 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

Another great review Brett. I totally agree, especially about Scanlon. Where the heck was he? He would have been the natural one for Allison to call if he wasn't already there, besides, cops have a way of all congregating when something big is going on.

I wonder, when you are a series regular, as David Cubitt is, do you still get paid when you don't appear in an episode? Maybe it was a cost cutting measure since they got Adam Goldberg and Larry Miller. Fortunately, so far this season, this is the only episode Scanlon has not been in at all. Last season there were several and the first season there were 6 or 7.

I wondered how they were going to deal with Allison talking to the dead guy out there in the open when all the SWAT team watching on. That scene could have ended up on the cutting room floor, or maybe they just decided they would have to deal with too many questions, so they opted to have it done off camera so they wouldn't have to answer those questions.

As far as Ariel's principal, perhaps Ariel used creative truth - maybe she told Allison that she "overheard" the son talking about his father and his plans. Although Allison would know that is not how it happend it would explain it to her principal or anyone else listening. Just like Devalos told the SWAT team that Joe mananged to keep his cell phone for a while and told Allison what was going on. That Devalos is one clever dude!

Glad to see you at Open Mic night Brett!

April 05 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I am enjoying this show more and more as it goes on. It just seems to be getting better and better.

I also thought that last night was really suspenseful. At first, I wasn't expecting much out of the hostage situation, but once they shocked me by having Bruce shoot Aaron at such an unexpected moment, I found myself on the edge of my seat for the rest of the episode. I obviously knew they weren't going to kill off Joe, and I assumed they wouldn't shoot a pregnant woman, but I wasn't sure what the end result was going to be.

I also liked how Ariel's visions played into her mother's and together, they were able to get all of the pertinent information for the police. Because of Ariel's vision, they knew that Bruce was going to die and he had nothing to lose. It was an important piece of information that ultimately led to them sending the SWAT teams in to take him out.

Only complaint about this episode... no Bridget! I love her character. Looking forward to next week.

April 05 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JENNIFER

The only thing that bugged me was the princible, who doesn't let a kid use the phone??!!

April 05 2007 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
getsheila

Now I am curious as to how Ariel's principal is going to play into things, if at all. She gave him a funny look before opening on the phone with her mom. He heard everything. And he had been watching it on TV. How will he react? Maybe he can be Ariel's wingman at school like Scanlon and Devalos are Allison's. Heh.

April 05 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lauch

My wife and I watched through our fingers..suspenseful and very good acting. Of course, as soon as he "forgot his key card" to get in the parking lot, my wife turns to me and says "Watch, he'll be a disgruntled employee who was fired and will go ballistic". So, perhaps NBC showed way too much in the previews of the episode.

I agree that they should have shown Allison's conversation with Aaron. It didn't make much sense not to, based on the premise of the show, but as soon as they showed Allison "seeing" him outside, I'm not sure you really needed to see that part....it was a given.

I think that Joe is the perfect husband, and my wife seems to agree. Though, I'm happy to report that she says that I'm very much like him in our relationship...go me!

April 05 2007 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply