November 26, 2014

CSI: Big Shots

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 6th 2007 12:41PM

Method Man(S07E19) That was a pretty enjoyable episode. Pulling a move that CSI hasn't used in some time, the episode began with what seemed like two completely unrelated cases, but by the end of the episode, they were completely intertwined.

Adding to the episode was the return of Method Man, reprising his season six guest starring role as club and rap mogul Drops. The guy is a good actor. I don't care what anyone says. He brings this likability to any character he plays and Drops is no exception. He's a thug, but the whole time I still found myself rooting for him to find a way out.

However, the best part of the episode was definitely the closure Greg got from the Demetrius James case. Greg finally stood up for himself. It's about time.

That scene where he finally passed all his guilt off to Mrs. James and essentially told her that it wasn't his fault that her two sons chose the paths they took was great. It was a pretty powerful scene and it's the first time throughout this whole ordeal that we really saw Greg put himself first. Although he did tell the DA to go easy on the brother at the end. Not too sure how I felt about that. He was an accessory to a murder, even if he didn't realize it.

Elsewhere, Hodges has continued to develop as the most prominent minor character on the show. He's hilarious and I don't think I ever realized it. He was out in the field for a while (per Under Sheriff McKeen's orders) and once he got back in the lab and Catherine asked "if he was going to pull a Sanders" (i.e. move from the lab to the field), he said something about staying away from streets covered in bullets and urine. Priceless. If the preview of next week's episode is any indication, it looks like he's running the show with his fellow lab techs. It'll be good to have the miniature killer case back in an episode.

Other random stuff:

• Was McKeen flirting with Sophia? He was awfully friendly and seemed set on feeding her as many compliments as he could spit out. I hope that doesn't go anywhere.
  • I loved it when Drops simply called Nick, "Crime Lab."
  • Speaking of Drops, it was equally funny when he gave his lawyer the fist pound after getting him off.

So, at this point, we've got four episodes left this season. As I mentioned last week, I think my theory that Sara is the miniature killer isn't as sound as I thought. However, I can't come up with anyone else. I know some people had speculated that it might be Lady Heather, but I don't see how she could fit into this. My only fear is that it turns out to be someone we've never met or heard of. That's going to be a let down if you ask me, because the identity of the killer has been so shrouded up until now, that it won't be a big enough pay-off unless it's someone we know (and love).

Danielle

I think it's Archie -the lab rat who left early for the surfing trip. Someone made a comment that the MK liked the camera or something like that and he said, "You have no idea" and then moved on. There have been a few other things that bothered me about him.

Or Super Dave - who is getting married- bleach cleans up crime labs before he can inspect bodies- and what do we really know about him? He had a slight crush on Sara before his engagement.

And where has he been?

April 16 2007 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Magic

What about our old lab rat Mia Dickerson (Aisha Tyler) as the miniature killer. She is no longer on Ghost Whisperer and she has been bouncing around for things to do. I just can't remember why her charecter left the show! Help here....

April 16 2007 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cole

I think it's Nick.

He would know about Sara's past, and he's always been a little envious of her relationship with Grissom, he's was annoyed with the way Grissom handle things in the 'gravedigger' episode, and very off balance since it happened.

If Sara becomes a real suspect in the killings, Grissom also gets put into question, because as her supervisor, he should have been the first to suspect her knowing her past. And if nothing else then their relationship will become know. I think if CSI wants to make it worth our w

As for Hodges and Sara, i don't see how anyone could have seen last weeks episode and think they're killers, they were too affected by the death of strangers to kill anyone.

Speaking of Sofia, has anyone noticed that now that she's a cop she been dumbed down, i mean she used to be a CSI, and now she has to have the CSI explains things to her and she has this blank look on her face.

As for the sheriff he needs to be careful or the county will be paying out another 3 million, and this time it will be for sexual harassment.

April 09 2007 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

I was wondering if the Under Sheriff's comments to Sofia could mean she is going to 'move up' in the chain of command, hence reducing her time with the CSI team... all very convenient if she pilot on ABC takes off and an easy way to write her off CSI.

April 08 2007 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Thought the same thing... "Wow, somebody just got handed their own personal red shirt" :-)

April 08 2007 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samsara

I think Method Man actually brought chemistry to what would have been a pretty drab show. Add in Greg's closure and voila. It was a C+ episode.

It was nice that the TPTB at CSI gave Greg closure on the storyline and one that was believable unlike Nick's burial ordeal which was ended with Grissom giving a flippant, "So it's over."

I certainly think there is forboding on the Sofia horizon. Thank God.

April 07 2007 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

If the show runners had any sense (I know what could I possibly be thinking)they would make Sarah the killer. If only to end the torture of her complete lack of chemistry magnified by Jorja Fox's sub par acting skills. Hodges is far too entertaining and they have run Lady Heather's character into the ground - granted the actress is currently un-employed now that the OC is done.

Didn't Louise Lombard (Sofia) get a sitcom on ABC? That is the only sure pointer to them making her the killer. They have to get rid of her character somehow.

April 06 2007 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

I think the compliments towards Sophia were more foreboding than anything.

Four words a cop on TV never wants to here are "You're gonna go far".

April 06 2007 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I thought it was pretty stupid how the writers felt the need to have Brass explain how Dropz got his nickname. Even us middle-aged suburbanites were able to figure that out by ourselves.

April 06 2007 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginny

I cringed at the thought of a romance blooming with McKeeen & Sophia...please NO!!!

Hodges is the mini killer. He's doing it to prove to Grissom how smart he is. Please don't let that be true.

April 06 2007 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply