April 19, 2014

The five shows MTV should keep

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 6th 2007 11:21AM
MTVDespite the fact that I'm part of MTV's target demographic, I don't really watch the network. I only tune in as I'm getting dressed in the early morning and MTV's running its morning music video block. For the rest of the day, MTV seems to avoid actually playing full music videos like the plague. Instead, they fill their programming schedule with awful reality shows about spoiled pre-teens and dating shows so depressing that contestants are even willing to pee all over themselves to get out.

Now, please allow me to frolic about in my own fantasy world, in which I create my idea of MTV's perfect programming schedule. There are only five -- FIVE -- MTV shows that I would keep. That's right. Everything else should be full-on music videos. In my own MTV, there will be no Laguna Beach, no Pimp My Ride, and certainly no Yo Momma (how did they manage to pitch that?!)

The Real World: I currently despise this show but can accept keeping it if it goes back to what it originally was: a genuine social experiment. Nowadays, The Real World is just a blatant attempt to show hot tub orgies week after week. I want to see the tension that comes naturally when seven strangers live in the same home and stop being polite and start getting real. If I need to see boobies and pixelated genitalia, I'll turn to just about every other aspect of our culture.

Daria or Clone High: Okay, so neither of these shows are on the air anymore, but I guess I have had a hard time letting go. Both of these cartoons were amazingly clever and even to this day, I get an occasional urge to dig up an episode on YouTube. Seeing as how MTV's last animated endeavor was Where My Dogs At?, I doubt they'll reach that level ever again.

TRL: I hate TRL. I have always hated TRL. I will continue to hate TRL as long as it is on the air. However, I can understand that celebrities need some place on my new MTV to promote their crappy movie or album or fragrance line. Plus, if teeny-boppers don't have some place to scream about their favorite former boy band member, they will take to the Internet, in the form of poorly-designed blogs.

Made: This is one of the greatest make-over shows I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Sure, there is not always a massive physical transformation, but that's not the important part of the show. The kids always seem to learn something about themselves, managing to transcend their normal social standing or personal difficulties. Honestly, it's quite inspiring and a lovely change from the sex romp attitude of the rest of MTV's programming. It's heart-breaking, heart-warming, and even kind of beautiful, sometimes. I wish more of MTV's audience had the attention span to enjoy this show. Keeper.

True Life: I like documentaries. I'm boring like that. MTV usually does a pretty good job of picking subjects that are relevant to youth culture, and they present it all in a normal documentary format, without jazzing it up and making it MTV-ized. Of course, this is one of the more bearable programs on the network and can even be a real eye-opener to the different kinds of lives that young adults lead in this world.

Additional Notes On Music Videos: No James Blunt videos, no more than three ass-shaking videos per hour, videos cannot be played more than once within two hours, I must be featured in at least five videos per day.

khamel

the hills is the best show on mtv, bar none. i hate reality tv in general but cant get enough of it.

April 17 2007 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Everything you said + Punked reruns + Human Giant + Boiling Points + Room Raiders (I despise the fact I like this show too but whenever I see it on I cant stop watching it).

April 15 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I agree with your selections, but I also feel we should be graced by Daria's comrades, Beavis and Butt-Head, with their graciously crude humor and insightful music video commentary.

April 10 2007 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
M2nov

i think beavis and butthead should defiantly stay they're hilarious! and daria was a B&B spinoff she looked like a prototype for "Ugly Betty"....LOL!!!

September 29 2011 at 11:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

Am I the only person that remembers the sketch comedy show The State? That show was hilarious! They need to bring that show back with a fierceness.

Also, I am ok with My Super Sweet 16, it is such a good parenting tool. I now know how to NOT raise my children!

April 10 2007 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jexxy

MTV shows are a complete joke. They usually make me laugh, but only n the "laughing at you, not with" sense. Every time I tune in, there seems to be a run of 20 episodes of the same show going. Watching these trashy shows only serves to make me feel better about myself, because I'm not as huge a loser as everyone on the shows. Also, they need more variety with the music videos, both in artists and genre.

April 09 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda

My list...in no particular order
Run's House...good values in an interesting, comical show.
Making the Band...love Diddy, much more interesting than American Idol
Made...love, love, love that show! I love when people fail and I love when people succeed as well.
True Life...interesting, I can watch the same one multiple times and not be bored too.
And I guess I'll throw Real World on here. This season has been less than thrilling. The people are just not interesting and their drama isn't either. I do like watching them act like drunk idiots and fight with each other sometimes, but this season has overdone it.

April 09 2007 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brooke

ok i agree that they need to play more music but totally absolutly hate your top 5 the shows r retardo and u r to i can tell u white female around the age 13 0r 14 sorry if i offended u but it is true

April 09 2007 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

Nice choices. Though i have to say, their should be a variety of music videos instead of just an hour filled with just rap/"hip-hop". Oh, and you forgot to add the shows where it's the Real World kids and Road Rules Kids (i.e. The Inferno, Fresh Meat), that's always intresting to watch.

April 09 2007 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mooh

True Life and Made are 2 of the best shows MTV has made - they are positive and they really shows young people nowadays what life is like outside of their world (like you said). I think young people these days are too spoiled and they need to understand that life is not just about material things and that parents are not terrible creatures who only go against their wishes. I love Daria too; I think that's a show teenagers can relate to.

April 09 2007 at 7:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mooh's comment
M2nov

"true life" featured some girls from my neck -of -the woods..... the cheerleaders from Portage (IN) high school were featured in "i'm a cheerleader" caught me by suprise!

September 29 2011 at 11:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
C.

Saturday at 4:00 a.m. I learned about the effects of steriods on True Life.

April 09 2007 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply