July 26, 2014

Was last night's episode of The Office really supersized?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 6th 2007 2:21PM

The OfficeFirst off, it was a great episode. Dwight shooting Roy in the eyes, all the Toby/Michael stuff (Toby is truly one of the great characters on TV right now), and Ed Helms returning at the end (which I didn't see coming) were all really funny moments. But I'm wondering: was the show really "supersized?"

Oh, I know it was longer. It started at 8pm and got over at 8:40, so it was longer in length, but didn't it seem like there were more commercials than usual? And what about that 4 minute long commercial for 30 Rock? Sure, they increase the length of the episode by 10 minutes, but 4 of those minutes are for an extended promo for another one of NBC's shows? It seemed to be shoved in there and was rather distracting.

Yeah, even with more commercials the episode was still probably a few minutes longer than a typical Office episode, but still, it's a bit of a gyp.

I'm not sure if the same thing happened on 30 Rock. I watched the episode, but I didn't notice anymore commercials than usual. Readers?

yalmot

i'm drunk, he said drunkenly. somehow, i think i spell bad. somehow i think the cameras keep the characters from saying what they wouldn't say anyway. on tv, characters always say things, things, things, that no one ever says in life. the urgency of truth. no one ever speaks the truth. especially when the camera's on. but my nationality is a drunk.

April 07 2007 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I don't care how many minutes they add, or if they add extra commercials or whatever - I'm happy for every extra second of The Office they give us!

April 06 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

Scrubs is the show that we should be talking about here. Its "supersized" version was only 3 minutes longer than normal (the torrent download is 25 minutes).

April 06 2007 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

In reply to #11:

I have to disagree. A Benihana Christmas, the hour-long episode produced this year, was probably the low point of the season.

With that said, I do think some funny stuff gets cut from the episodes. Some of the deleted scenes are better than the stuff that made it into the show.

April 06 2007 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

"The Office" could actually work as an hour-long show.

I'm surprised the networks haven't tried more one-hour comedies. There are a few one-hour comedy/dramas on the air now -- "Desperate Housewives," "Boston Legal" -- but I can't think of a one-hour show that's a straight-up comedy.

April 06 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I am sorry. For those who think this episode was boring, where is your mental capacity to sit for 29 minutes and not be bored? Do you guys read books? It's not like you are forced to watch ETWN for 30 minutes.

But if you complain enough, executives will force the show to have Pam and Jim marry by the middle of next season because that increases ratings. That's what you want, right? Office haters make me sad :(

April 06 2007 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Dorr

Actually, it's kind of funny you mention the 30 Rock promo, because it had scenes in it from that night's episode, including important things like Liz Lemon's kiss with what's-his-name. That kind of pissed me off because it spoiled the surprise (even though it wasn't that surprising anyways)

April 06 2007 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edd

yep, a usual ep is 22 mins and 20 seconds (ontorrents). So about seven minutes. In the UK (BBC comedies), it'salways good to know a half hour show is 29 mins, always bugged me that I'm only getting 20 mins a week of gems like The Office, Arrested Development and 30Rock. At least CYE is 30 mins :)

April 06 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

30 Rock was also 4 minutes longer than usual. The episode last night was about 24:53, normally it's around 20:30.

April 06 2007 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Cicconi

What I was thinking while watching it (I was unaware that it would be supersized) was that it's great that NBC is giving the show any extra time that it needs. Around the normal endpoint (~22 mins for the torrented version, or 8:30 in TV land) they still had the jokes coming and to me it felt like they couldn't cram all three storylines into a normal half-hour. NBC must realize that this show is a cash cow and as such is willing to give some leeway on the creative end. Brilliant.

April 06 2007 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply