Idol ratings are down ten percent

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Apr 9th 2007 4:38PM
American Idol results showThe ratings are down! The ratings are down! Is this the beginning of the end for the juggernaut called American Idol? Perhaps the Sanjaya-haters are actually following through with their threats to tune out until the controversial singer is sent packing.

Should producers be worried? Maybe just a little.

According to Nielsen, the ratings for the Tuesday night performance shows have dropped about 10 percent compared to last season (from about 31 million to 28 million viewers). And last Wednesday's results show (April 4) reportedly had the lowest ratings of the season.

Producer Nigel Lythgoe isn't sweating the drop in ratings. He said, "Even if we lost 50 percent of our audience, we'd still be in the top three shows in the country."

Nice try, Nigel, but that's not exactly correct. If Idol's numbers did drop in half, it could be beat (according to March 27th ratings) by CSI, House, and Dancing with the Stars (both nights). Of course, Idol has a long way to go before it alienates 16 million fans and sinks into fifth place just ahead of Shark or 'Til Death.

Lythgoe, however, isn't blaming Sanjaya's hair for the ratings dive. He thinks the fact that Daylight Savings Time came three weeks earlier this year, is the reason a small portion of the audience has drifted away.

With the ratings for the results show at an all time low, I'll repeat my belief that producers are making a mistake by going to one-hour results shows starting this week (April 11). Thirty minutes allows plenty of time for the celebrity guests to perform and for us to find out who is going home. Anything longer than that is just going to be a lot of unnecessary filler positioned around a ton of commercials.

I imagine that extending the results show isn't going to win back those fans who have drifted away. If anything, it might be time for Idol's producers to acknowledge that "sometimes less is more."

DM

GET RID OF SANJAYA. I CAN'T STAND WATCHING HIM. EVERYONE I SPEAK WITH CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS STILL HERE. COME ON AMERICA YOU KNOW HE IS NOT THE BEST SINGER.

April 18 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

Please pray for those that can sing and pray that people will come to their right mind and stop this crazy thing about a boy that can't sing. Seems like a nice kid but his singing isn't his talent.

April 11 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

I really think the whole thing is sad. I am 53 years old and I have enjoyed American Idol from the beginning. But this is crazy!!!
The young man can't sing and because of people thinking it is a joke a lot of good singers have been voted off. I can name hundreds of people that will never watch American Idol again if he wins. And those same people will never listen or watch Howard S. for his part in this. Also J Lo has lost a lot of fan base. You people are messing with peoples future that can sing. I would hate to have that on my mind. I know so many people that has quit watch American Idol this season already because of this. I haven't quit I just vote more for the best in hopes that it will help in some way. So people if you are not voting you are just voting for the worst one the one that can't sing and the one that is getting all of the attention. J Lo if you think he is so good why don't you hire him for one of your back up singers. Howard if you think he deserves all of this attention why don't you let him come on your show. Let him be a part of your show. No instead I can't look forward to going to the American Idol tour this year because I couldn't bare to even see him in person let alone hear hiim sing in person. Good Luck to the ones that can sing.

April 11 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I have to say that this season has been the worst by far. I find myself switching half the time. I mean I guess they can all sing, except for the ode to teenie bopper crap. What bores me is that the true talent just seems to be dead in terms of personality or too old fashioned. No one denies that Melinda and Lakisha can sing, but honestly they seem dated to me. None of what they have sung seem contemporary in the least. Don't get me wrong, I think they're brilliant singers. I can only see Blake or Jordin winning, but I think Jordin should be the winner. The rest are forgettable at best.

Despite the fact that this season has an OVERWHELMING lack of talent in the top 10, 8 whatever they are on, it really isn't anything new. Even in season one, talented singers were voted off due to the "heart throb" or "cute" factor. Unfortunately, Sanjaya has cornered the cute market. This show just seems old and uninteresting. They try way too hard to be funny, and it comes off as cheesy. Given that Sanjaya is the worst thing to happen to American Idol, I may still watch the last thirty seconds before House comes on.

April 11 2007 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeenaLynne

Our family has been loyal to watch every season. This year we have stopped. Sanjaya is so terrible that it is a big joke. Next season we will watch again. I don't know why he doesn't step down. He is fooling himself if he thinks he will sell cds IF he wins. I know WE will not buy one.

April 11 2007 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linn

I can understand why ratings are falling! I thought this program was supposed to be about talent. This season has been nothing but a joke. I think the truly talented ones should be very upset at what is going on. Maybe if they all walked out
it would put a stop to this foolishness.

April 11 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

I agree that there is an extreme lack of talent this year. I watched an episode of AI Rewind of the first season and by the time they were down to the top 10, every single one of those people were AWESOME singers. This season we're lucky to have two or three good singers and they're not even great singers. Nobody really has the "wow" factor.

Another thing is I think this show has really turned into a popularity contest, which couldn't be avoided, but if America would vote each week just based who had the best vocal that night, this would be a whole different show.

Lastly, I think it is a horrible idea to extend the results show to one hour. I thought is was too long at half an hour. They just drag you along for 30 minutes with commercials and stupid ways to break apart the contestants. They really only need 10 minutes to introduce the show and give the results. I probably won't even watch the one hour results. I'll just look it up on the internet the next day.

April 11 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms V

This has been a weaker group of people than past AI. The voting is not for the right reasons. I do have a few that deserve to be there but most are just average singers. I guess the way people are voted off is frustating and they need to change the voting process to keep AI real. I even sense the judges has lost their enthusiasm for being there and seem bored this year. Depending on the outcome of certain people on the show will depend on whether I will continue to watch this year and in the future. As the saying goes they definitely need to kick it up a notch.

April 11 2007 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melina

I have watched AI since the first season and this is definitely the worst top 12 ever. The first year wasn't do either but forgiveable because the show was new. In the beginning, it was a fun family show that the whole family could sit down and watch together. After this years try-outs, I had to start taping it and previewing it to make sure it was appropiate for my kids to watch. It's sad because my kids look forward to Tues. and Wed. nights. There is only so many talented people in America so I'm sure year after year the talent is going to be harder to find. I think there will be a lot of 16 year olds since that can be their first time trying out. We have gone to the concert every year and I'm not sure what we are doing this year. I don't know if it will quite be worth it. And about Sanjaya.....we only vote weekly starting in Feb...what dumb people let him get that far????? Oh yeah, the 3 judges!!!!

April 10 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarshaLawrence

The voting procedure in the problem. Kids vote again and again and again. After one vote, block the damn things and I think voting who you want kicked off would be the best thing. That Sanjya is absolutely sickening. A fruity tooty, untalented minority person....the three girls are all amazing with Melinda and Lakisha leading....Blake is silly, Chris is cute and a non-starter and it is the judges fault. How did they pass on Sanjaya anyway? He couldn't have had talent and than just lost it....what was Paula drinking when she passed him on?

April 10 2007 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply