October 7, 2015

Jimmy Kimmel goes after Gawker, and it's awesome - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 9th 2007 2:38PM

kimmel and gawkerThis clip is worth it for the reaction of Gawker editor Emily Gould. She seems completely shocked and unprepared.

Jimmy Kimmel was guest host on Larry King Live on Friday night, and the topic was gossip, celebrity stalking, and the various celeb mags and web sites. Though usually irreverent, Kimmel was dead serious about confronting Gould about the many false or mistaken sightings that readers (or as Gould calls them, "citizen journalists," gag) sent into Gawker Stalker.

Kimmel was upset in particular about a sighting that said he was drunk and loud, when in reality he was sober and coming home from a kid's birthday party with an elderly aunt and uncle. Not only is Gould stunned by Kimmel's seriousness, she's woefully ill-equipped to defend herself. Though I guess I have to give Gawker a little bit of credit for putting the video on their site and writing about it, but I guess any publicity...etc, etc.

Someone in the comments says that Rachel Dratch should play Gould in the movie version of Gawker, and that's spot on.

Karl Kanouskape

Crybaby Kimmel gives editor a hard time. Should be headline.

July 18 2015 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby Brace

What a terrible tragedy it would be if that vile woman were to be tortured to death in her own home by a deranged stalker. I would weep, as I opened a bottle of Champagne.

July 18 2015 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philippe Drouin

Wow, just wow. Just because you like celebrities doesn't mean they are good people. That can be complete asses too. I think this is a case of them being asses.

They brought her on not to let her explain the whole thing but just to insult her as much as they can.

July 18 2015 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Philippe Drouin's comment
Toby Brace

She is a vile animal. A creature that FEEDS and ENRICHES itself off lies and embarrassment and harassment

July 18 2015 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philippe Drouin

That CNN report is misleading

July 18 2015 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

" The comment about there being a bunch of lunatics waiting for the celeb to come out from wherever they are is ridiculous. With cell phones, info like this could be spread just as fast, and to infer that everyone who wants to see a celeb is a crazy madman that wants to stalk and kill them is outlandish and offensive to the American public. "

Uh, no paaron it's NOT offensive because something like that CAN happen, and it's only a matter of time before it DOES.

April 21 2007 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Oh, and the ONLY point Emily what's-her-name made is that at least we're no longer in a time where we put celebrities on pedestals and that we see that they're regular people, but that should NOT solicit stalking.

April 21 2007 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

But on a different note, I do believe that Jimmy Kimmell now understands what it feels like to have something completely false (and hurtful) written about you that can be used as a punchline.

April 21 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

People, you have to understand that although Jimmy Kimmel has made jokes on celebrities on his late-night show, he doesn't have a "Gawker-Stalker Map" - do you understand? Kimmel isn't invading anyone's privacy by making jokes. Websites like Gawker.com that tells you where celebrities have been so people stroll around and take PICTURES? Give me a fucking break!

Jokes about celebrities' personal lives is dispicable, but a map that tells you where a celebrity has BEEN at any given time? And then fabricating bullshit?! C'mon! Doesn't ANYONE realize that these are people?! Of course if you're famous, you're not going to have a private life and you're going to be photographed, but this has gone way too far. I'm sorry, but that Emily chick got what she had coming. I swear to god, I think people who do this celebrity gossip garbage are people who can't find suitable day-jobs.

April 21 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I think Jimmy was right on this subject. Putting out unknown facts are sometimes very damaging for personalities. I think Emily would do much better naked in a Playboy feature about women of the internet spreading malicious information.

April 17 2007 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl LaFong

For me, the highlight of the segment was the other lawyer - not Geragos - who spoke about celebrity murders that never get reported! Let me get this straight: We've lost celebrities that we don't even know we've lost?

April 15 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply