April 24, 2014

Stump the King -- what series was that?

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 10th 2007 10:01AM

RiptideAt least once a week, someone will write me an email asking me to "settle a bet" or "ease their mind" about some trivia question that they can't seem to find the answer to. I'm also happy to use my knowledge to help out in any way I can.

On my own weekly podcast, I always ask a trivia question that I consider to be somewhat simple although difficult to research online. Rarely do I get a correct answer. So I thought I would use the TV Squad forum to give readers a chance to answer the trivia questions as well.

So here is the first question inspired by the great Boston Legal episode, 'Son of the Defender'. Good luck.

Joe Penny, who played Nick Ryder on Riptide, guest starred on a series where they used clips of Riptide as flashbacks to his career. What series was that?

Please feel free to answer in the comments section. The first correct answer will get their name plugged below in this post later, and the satisfaction that comes with being a member of the King's court.

Also if anyone has a trivia question that they think will stump me or just really need to know the answer to, go ahead and let us know.

Well that didn't take long. The first reader to answer correctly was Griff who knew that Boomtown was the correct answer.

Check back next week for another (hopefully harder) question.

Victor Agreda, Jr.

Boomtown. Great series, lots of moving parts. It was a hostage crisis, he was an out-of-work actor who had a big hit in the 80's (cue clips from Riptide), nice twist at the end.

April 10 2007 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

Here's your *Riptide* trivia question: What show, getting trounced by *Moonlighting* in the ratings, had an episode entitled "If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em" that featured a mock Dave and Maddie team?

April 10 2007 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kurifurisan

Boomtown FTW!

April 10 2007 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Oh and I wanted to add that "Riptide" was called "Trio mit vier Fäusten" ("Trio with four fists") here in germany :-)

April 10 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Riptide.
The Screaming Mimi used to fly over my house all the time when I was a kid in LA.
Tuesday nights, sandwiched between the A-Team and Remington Steele.

April 10 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

That's the link to the episode with complete information.

Quote: "The interesting thing about this episode was use of footage from the '80s series "Riptide" recast as the fictional TV series "Insured by Smith & Wesson""

Didn't take that long to find it out - would've been more challenging if you didn't name the actor that way you'd have to guess which one of the three (maybe four if you count in the robot ;-) ) was it :-)

It would've been harder if IMdB hadn't put in episode-listings last year. Without it it would've been much much harder.

April 10 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kel

# 3 is correct. It's Riptide.

April 10 2007 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IN Mike

Boomtown! I remember watching the episode and thinking that the flashbacks looked a lot like Riptide clips.

Great show that died too early.

I see I got beat by a couple of people.

April 10 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

Boomtown.

He played a washed up actor tangled in a robbery at a sports shop he was working with.

One of the cops was a fan of him and his series back in the day and was disappointed when he found out Penny's character had a share of responsability in the robbery.

Stop looking at me like that, I miss Boomtown.

April 10 2007 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply