October 25, 2014

BBC America says so long to Benny Hill

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 11th 2007 3:23PM

benny hillIf you've been enjoying the antics of Benny Hill on BBC America, I have sad news for you: the series is being removed from the channel.

The decision to remove The Benny Hill Show from the channel's lineup is just part of a new makeover that's discarding many older shows for newer ones. The channel hopes to give American audiences more modern shows instead of older fare such as Hill and Are You Being Served? and replace them with newer shows like Torchwood and Hollyoaks.

I must say, I never really understood the appeal of Benny Hill, though that certainly doesn't mean it was a bad show. Obviously, a lot of people liked the series, and how many of us can watch a scene shot in high speed and not start humming that goofy Benny Hill chase music?

I have to ask: will any of you miss Benny once he's gone? Or is he an artifact of an earlier age and no longer relevant?

[via CC Insider]

Jean Moore

What fun is there in watching newer programming from the U.K. when they're all more or less copies of U.S. fare with U.K. accents!
There are MANY of us over here who would LOVE to see reruns of "Piece of Cake", "Blakes 7", "Space 1999" even!
Just one more show without overt sexuality, racial confrontations, vulgar language, and killings galore!
If the so-called "modern" programming being sent to the States on BBC America defines modern life in Britan, I shan't be taking my holiday there!

June 13 2007 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Yes, I will miss watching the Benny Hill Show. He was so funny. I couldn't wait to get home from school to watch him. If I was in a bad mood, watching his show made me feel better. I know this is an old show,but it is still funny.

May 28 2007 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Yes I'll miss Benny Hill, I've always liked British humor starting back in the 40s when Much Binding In the Marsh was on with Richard Murdock, Kenith Horn I forget the other two one was a woman was on Shortwave

April 29 2007 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zkam

BTW, The Benny Hill theme is actually called "Yakkety Sax"

April 16 2007 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

No Way - I am soo glad to read this ridiculous program is finally off the air! More over, from what I have heard, there was an actress who played a character on the show of my same name - that's particularly annoying, because it happens to be my real name in real life - my parents never watched the show in 70's, so can't blame them. It's funny how the names of characters in TV shows and movies are the actual real names of real people...

April 12 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyberphin

I've always been aware of Benny Hill but never watched until recently.
There is always someone new to even a show as syndicated as this.
I guess I'll just watch Stewie's Sexy parties!

April 11 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I do have a lingering fondness for Benny Hill, if only because he makes me remember the sound of my late father giggling hysterically at the show when it first appeared here in the late 70s or early 80s. My father had the greatest giggle.

But watching him now, in my 40s, on his own merits--I just find him embarrassing.

If bumping him gets us the second season of "Green Wing" or "Life on Mars," though, I'll have no problem with that at ALL.

April 11 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

Oddly enough, I find my favorite Brit shows on other networks: "Midsomer Murders", "Poirot", and "Sherlock Holmes" all air (or aired, they're mucking the schedule up a bit) over on Biography Channel, of all places.

April 11 2007 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christina

I'm just really glad that BBC America is finally going to start airing the new season of Life on Mars because I watched the first three episodes online and enjoyed every second of it. Plus its not mentioned here, but the network will also be airing MI-5, which is really good news cuz its also a really good scripted show. As for Torchwood, I haven't gotten the chance to watch it, but if its as good as Doctor Who, then I will definitely tune in...

By the way I hated some of those older programs that BBC America has been showing. They play shows like Benny Hill and Whose Line is it Anyway like 20 times a day. I'm really glad for the change especially since there are some really good British television shows out there.

April 11 2007 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knight3985

ba-de-ba-de-ba-de-ba....... THATS ALL FOLKS!!!!...... It's just to bad for the -Bad boys- They had ther Day... I guess we are the Lucky Ones that still have a laugh left over from yesterday.... R.I.P.... BENNY WE STILL LOVE YA .... shit head

April 11 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply