October 25, 2014

24's seventh season possible plot leaked

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 12th 2007 1:42PM
24Warning! This article will contain possible plot points for 24's seventh season. Spoilers ahead!

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea that one of the major news story around town (I live somewhere in the Province of Quebec in Canada) would be 24. Last time the series made news here was when a local TV station sent fake bombs containing screeners of the first episodes to various radio stations and magazines in order to announce that the show would soon premiere on their network.

Why 24 is making the news today you ask? Well, the possible storyline for Season 7 leaked and it is making one of our political parties unhappy!

Radio-Canada (one of Canada's major national networks) reports that Jon Cassar, one of the show's producer and director, revealed in an interview with the Kansas City Star that next season's plot may feature Quebec separatists as the terrorists.

Cassar, who was born in the Province of Quebec, says that 24 featured bad guys from around the world and that maybe it was time to focus on bad guys from North America. "We are absolutely evenly employing all the bad guys of all nations," he reveals to the Kansas City Star reporter. "Some told me, because I'm Canadian, they said, 'Hey, why are you leaving us out? Why can't we be the bad guys?' I'm like, 'Good idea. Quebec separatists could be the terrorists.'" He adds that he would like to go after the Nazis but since they are not around anymore, that idea was tanked.

The possibility of having Quebec separatists be featured in a negative way on 24 has members of Quebec's Bloc québécois (a political party whose first mandate is to have Quebec separate from Canada) claim the show is irresponsible! "People working for 24 must understand that we are not obsessed with guns, but with the idea of a referendum," said Bloc québécois' Diane Lemieux, a fan of the series. Actor-turned-Bloc-québécois-member Maka Kotto added that "it would be terribly irresponsible from the series..." Kotto does add that 24 is a fiction.

Why are they so outraged if 24 is a fiction series? Did you hear the Russian, Chinese, and Mexican governments say that 24 was irresponsible when the series featured "Russian rebels, Mexican drug lords, and angry Chinese" as Kansas City Star reports? I understand that the Bloc québécois fears that seeing separatists under a bad light may have them lose a lot of votes but don't they have enough fate in viewers to know the difference between fiction and reality? Guess not.

Tisha Gonda, a 20th Century Fox spokesperson, revealed that it is too early to know if Quebec separatists will indeed be featured in the show's seventh season. Now that the possible plot is leaked, and seeing the reaction from one of Quebec's political party, will 24 go forward with the storyline?

B-Train

Actually, if they really wanted to come to Canada, I'm sure a bunch of actors in Toronto like myself would jump at the occasion of playing a Quebecer on 24. I'm sure I hear the Quebec French accent enough that I can replicate it.

June 11 2007 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Snoogins

While not entirely unrealistic (the only time martial law has ever been declared in Canada was when the FLQ, a separatist terrorist group, was blowing up mailboxes and kidnapping English people in the late 60s), I don't think they should go wih Quebec separatists. First of all, the Quebec separation movement is on its way out. Second, nobody in the U.S. even knows about it. Third, separatists really aren't violence-oriented anymore; it really is just a group of hicks from Lac St. Jean who don't know any better wishing they had their own country and not being allowed to learn English because of Law 101.

As much as I LOVE the idea of 24 taking place in my hometown of Montreal, I think the notion of Quebec separatists as bad guys will just come off as stupid, as there's no way a bunch of Americans will do the job right. They'll give the bad guys names like Gaston LePew and they'll talk with Parisian accents and eat baguettes and such.

June 07 2007 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Britt

i'm from montreal, quebec. i don't really watch 24. but i heard about this plot, read the comments, and i'm sorry, but we canadians aren't as self centered as you think. the people i know (from canada) could care less if the states "notice" us. as for the actual quebec seperatist plot, personally, the plot is just going to strengthen the prejudgment that ALL quebecois are french and want to seperate from canada, and add that they're all violent and weapon obsessed. i'm a proud quebecois and a proud anglophone, and i find that putting a spotlight on this issue is going to make the quebec situation worse. if i were any previously used "criminals" from Russia, Mexico or whatever, i would be equally offended. i also understand that the show needs a bad guy and that they want to used every culture, but i just don't want people outside of quebec to think that we're all crazy french separtists.
p.s. i'm sorry, but poutine=heaven.

April 17 2007 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Rodney-you should be hired as a writer for 24. Radioactive Swiss Chocolate? Inspired.

It's too bad we're 60 years removed from the Nazis. They would fit in 24 beautifully.

April 12 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

When I first saw mention of terrorist Canadians, I thought: "yeah, sure, that'll be about as realistic as polite Germans... or jolly Swedes". But then I realized, you're talking about French Canadians, and that's a whole different ball of wax. If they're half as scary as Paris waiters, watch out!

Actually, I think the Quebec angle sucks... especially as a possible second location. I've been there. I mean, Montreal's okay, but it's really just Cincinnati with French signs and worse roads. Exotic? About as much as Seattle. But it can be weird, in a lame way. They actually have a dish called Poutine. It's French fries, covered in melted cheese curds and thick gravy. If you can't finish eating it, you can always use it to repair walls.

And don't even think of the fuss they'd make over the perceived "insult". All their leaders and media types would just scream and yell and bitch and.... be totally boring. In fact, they've already started. And the rest of Canada would join in too. You see, Canadians LUV it when the States notices them, especially if they get to complain about it! I lived there for two long years: trust me, I know.

So, suppose you go with a Canadian connection. Think about it. You move part of the show from L.A. to, where -- if not Montreal, then maybe, Toronto? Snoooore.

T.O. (locals enjoy calling it that, only because we did the same thing with L.A.) is the wannabe capital of the world, always comparing itself to some better city in the U.S. When it ain't calling itself Hollywood North, Toronto's dubbing itself The Big Smoke (just like the Big Apple, see), or pointing to some lame shopping plaza as "Times Square North". When they opened their first taco stand 10 years ago... presto! Miami North!

So, why move the show from one, real, American city to another, fake, one? Toronto is about as slavishly American a city as you can find anywhere outside the U S of A . The locals dream day and night of having an American football franchise, and go ape wild whenever someone like Al Gore or Paris Hilton shows up.

No, Switzerland most probably would be a much more exciting choice -- maniacal clock makers plotting America's destruction, radioactive Swiss chocolate shipped to New York stores, the possibilities are endless. Or maybe choose Luxemburg -- they have a bigger army than Canada. Or Argentina (exiled Nazis) or Norway (vikings), or .... .

April 12 2007 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

My idea was to have North Korea unleash a group cloned super agents that threaten LA. Jack kills one, and another pops up to take his place. The top questions to be answered would be:

1) Did we kill all of the clones?
2) Where are they being made?
3) Do the clones feel bad one another clone gets "jacked"?

You could also "send in the clones" and have Weird Al sing his "I think I'm a clone now".

Milo could be jealous as captured clones all hit on Nadia (wouldn't you?).

You could have good clones, bad clones, bad clones turned good, and clones that are there just for comic relief.

Some of them could be converted to Mormonism and they could form the Mormon Taber-clonal Choir.

They could have an endless amount of clones taking each others places on dates and the ensuing hijinx that would occur would make Peter Brady proud.

Fat clones, skinny clones, tall clones, small clones....

April 12 2007 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I suggest putting in germans. Lots of them. I love german dialogue on us shows and C C is right, what the heck _were_ ze germanz up to in the past?

You could also throw in some swiss and austrian people and show that those evil germanz are all connected to the Gouvernator ;-)))

I guess I will now watch some episodes of Scrubs. Elliot is not really perfect when speaking german but the best quote ever from scrubs is when she said "don't mess with my people" in german. Loved that sooo much, she's so cute doing that :-) Or that one episode with the german woman on Veronica Mars. Funny enough George Clooney had a dialogue coach who did not actually speak german and everything he says on "The good German" is just gibberish. I laughed my ass of when I saw it because this was so Oscar-driven and then so imperfect. Too bad George :-) (though I still believe he's a great actor doing great movies so I was actually a bit irritated that he did not get a good coach for the movie - might've been a budget thing).

Anyway - I like that 24 got back to it's roots. In my opinion in the past what made seasons great were the family and friends ties of Jack Bauer that made him actually do all this out of desperation. He wasn't desperate at all this season to save ANYONE he loves. Hell he even started torturing his brother, scared his father away, and learned that Audrey was dead. Total bummer and there weren't any other actors that made us feel empathy in any way at all.

April 12 2007 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I should have added "no one speaks French outside of Louisiana". Sorry if I offended the Creoles. But nobody speaks French in LA. PERIOD.

April 12 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

You can get away with a lot in 24-land, but I don't think French-Canadians in LA will work.The Russians, Chinese, Serbs, and Brits have blended in well with the LA backdrop. The bystanders in 24-land, after hearing a foreign accent, will say to themselves "Oh, it's just a Russian immigrant", or "Oh, that's just a British businessman". But throw a French accent at them? Something's wrong right off the bat. NOBODY speaks French in the U.S. outside of French embassies. Danger! Stranger!

April 12 2007 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I've only watched this and the previous season so flame away if you must but how about trying a "prequel" season set in the not too distant past? That or try abandoning the 24 hour timeline shtick.

April 12 2007 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply