A cure for our 'Idol' boredom?

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted Apr 12th 2007 2:01PM

Jon Peter LewisOh man, not one, but two celebrity guests tonight. Uh, how were we so lucky? That means a full hour show...

You'd think a ten percent ratings drop from last year would motivate them to keep it simple, but Idol's sixth season is still picking up new fans and continuing to find new ways to keep us entertained -- even when that means morphing into something other than the beloved original format.

I wonder if turning American Idol into a variety show is a good thing? No longer is it only a singing show but also a telethon for the needy, an outlet for songwriters and a place where celebrities go to sell a few CDs and pretend they sing better than the contestants. All they need now is a stand-up comic and a cooking segment.

I do like the idea of "Idol Gives Back." If it isn't quite selfless, it still benefits needy and deserving people -- and that's always cool. Also cool is the opening up of the Idol machine for undiscovered songwriters. But, the coolest of all is my Tivo, which allows me to skip all that B.S. and get down to what I want to know. Did Haley get the boot?

Yes, she did. I don't know how I feel about that. I don't really care for her voice, but now whose legs do I look forward to?

Who's next? My guess is Phil. Not necessarily because he was in the bottom two, but because I don't see him picking up Haley's votes and because he was in the bottom two.

I'm starting to get pretty bored this season. So, maybe the pyrotechnics, dancers, celebrities, the games, the giveaways, and the telethons are worth it after all.

Jon Peter Lewis was a finalist on the third season of "American Idol." His newly released debut album, "Stories From Hollywood," is available everywhere online and can also be downloaded at americanidol.com. Visit Jon's Web site for more.

Samantha

#11 are you for real or being sarcastic? JPL = Jon Peter Lewis the person whos blog you were reading. If still confused I suggest you click on his website and educate yourself.

April 19 2007 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie-beth

i know most ppl are sooo happy that sanjaya got kicked off yesterday...but i am so sad...he was the cutest one on the show

April 19 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corrine

Thanks all you voters. You got it right finally and got rid of Sanjaya. Now, keep up the good work and dump Lakisha who would make a good cattle caller because she screams---not sings. At least it was nice to see her chest covered for a change. I guess she thought all that blubbery cleavage would get her votes. Not so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 19 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROXANNE

WHO THE HELL IS JPL? NEVER HEARD OF HIM!

April 19 2007 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROXANNE

THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SANJAYA IS GONE!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
SO SORRY HOWARD AND YOUR OTHER COHERTS, WE OUT VOTED YOU, SANJAYA LOOSES , WE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 19 2007 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brianna

JPL is not a loser i liked him a lot he was my favorite of that season!!...and JPL keep blogging i like it!! Just cuz one person dont like it dont mean you dont have to stop!!! i did not like Haley at all!!! but BLAKE IS MY FAVORITE!!! Chris is my #2!! =]!! Sanjaya SUCKS!!!! so yea
-Brianna =]

April 19 2007 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JPL

JPL (just please leave), u r a loser...and loser always back to revenge. just shut up, u r in no position to say anything, and did i mention "LOSER".

April 16 2007 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

I agree with you. This season has been boring me lately.

April 13 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

Even if it's boring at times I'm addicted. I enjoy watching the amateurs get better and become stars. Thats the whole appeal to me...
I can imagine though for the artists out there struggling for years it has to be a little frustrating watching and seeing the exposure the idols get without putting in the time. The idols do go through alot in a short amount of time though, sort of like a boot camp, and in that way they do pay their dues. Even still their time in the spotlight can be short.

April 13 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

NO more legs to look forward to! How sad!
Hey JPL, now you can relate to how we all felt when you left the show. We lost our eye candy ! Oh and we did love your singing also.

I really hope Phil survives this week. I know certain people think he's creepy but he's better then the other guys left vocally. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

April 13 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply