October 25, 2014

A note to Katie Couric and The CBS Evening News

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 13th 2007 7:39AM

Katie CouricKatie,

There's been a lot of talk lately about the third place ratings that The CBS Evening News continues to get. There are people saying that you aren't professional enough and that the show doesn't cover hard news the way it should. You even fired your executive producer and hired another, and then this week fired a producer for plagiarizing (and just what are those first person "Notebooks" if other people are writing them?). These are all things that you have to fix, but may I make one suggestion that might help immediately?

Don't lead your newscast with news about Don Imus on the day that there was a major bombing in Iraq.

Really, you led last night's newscast with the news that Imus was fired by CBS. In fact, you spent the first 6 plus minutes of the show talking about it, and you had Jeff Greenfield on for "analysis."

If you watch a recording of ABC's World News or The NBC Nightly News, you'll see they both led with news from Iraq and then got into the Imus story. Maybe you should have done the same thing?

Jake

This is why I read Slate.com and stroll through various news sites such as CNN and MSNBC. They offer real news, and in Slate's case, they offer actual opinions and totally called out Couric for the first person notebook hypocrisy. I stopped watching TV news along time ago, and while sometimes I periodically wonder if I should watch the news again, this just goes to show that I am not missing anything.

April 13 2007 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

CBS will eventually part ways with Couric and in classic Les Moonvies style, he will tear her down after her departure the same way he did to Howard Stern, David Lee Roth and others to save face.

Couric was totally wrong for this job. I don't blame her for taking it, hell, offer me that money and I will read off a telepromter, but rather the executives who thought this was a good idea are to blame.

I wonder which moron decided to lead with Imus. The only thing worse I can possibly think of is leading with an Anna Nicole story.

April 13 2007 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

CBS will protect Katie just like they did with Dan Rather. In some part of their disconnect from the real world CBS thinks the watching public actually likes these people.

She should be fired. I don't care who stole the piece--she has a say in what airs. She is just as guilty.

April 13 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I started watching the CBS Evening News as a kid, almost every night, during the end of the Cronkite era. I watched it during the Rather era, almost every night. I would tape it when I couldn't get home in time to see it live, I liked and respected it that much. I stuck with it during the Scheiffer interim period, too, even though they were starting to go a little soft.

I gave Katie Couric a long time to grow on me, partly because the field correspondents like Alan Pizzey and Lara Logan are still pretty good. I kept taping it, but found myself fast-forwarding through long sections like freeSpeech and her perky interviews. Then I stopped taping it altogether. I no longer watch it at all, so that's a 25-year-plus habit that Katie and her producers managed to break. It doesn't sound like I've missed much. Leading with Imus yesterday is just incomprhensible.

April 13 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

The habit which digs at me is the reading of an "editorial piece", in the first person, when you neither wrote it, nor had the first hand experieince you are talking about.

Why is nobody slamming KC and others for this?

She is highly paid and in return I expect more honesty.

April 13 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

Believe it or not there is alot more going on in Iraq than bombings.

April 13 2007 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Bread meet circus...

April 13 2007 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

OMFG you can NOT be serious. On the day they managed to get a bomb into the supposedly most secure place in Iraq, the parliament, and kill eight people with it, she ran with the almost one week old Imus firing as the opener?

Yougoddabekiddinme...

TDS taught me you should laugh at the 24 hour news channels but this is not even anything close to funny anymore. It's emberassing and disappointing. It actually make me want to cry a little.

I am so glad that even the worst news channels over here are not like this. Funny enough Imus was a new item on the most-read news-website here in germany yesterday, telling the reader that Imus was NOT a topic until the advertisers pulled their money from the guy's show and only after THAT the network reacted. He wasn't a topic on any other news channel or news show up until MONEY decided he was a problem. As long as he wasn't offending ADVERTISERS he wasn't a problem. And once he did, he became more important than the most disturbing bombing in Iraq in since the war began.

Wow... this is... horrible.

April 13 2007 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whatever

They never should have chosen Katie, there are much better choices out there, namely Russ Mitchell and Campbell Brown. I personally hate Katie as I now have to watch Meredith Viera who is just as bad, but now there are two of them on TV.

The quality of our news overall is falling and it's because celebrity has hit journalism. If you watched Katie's interview of John Roberts, the only reason she got that interview is because she's more of a celebrity than Mike Wallace - which is a shame!

April 13 2007 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill L

Actually, I'm surprised to learn NBC and ABC led their broadcasts with Iraq. As for Cutie-pie Couric, who expected any better?

April 13 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply