October 30, 2014

Six Degrees is officially canceled

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 13th 2007 8:22AM
six degreesSix Degrees returned (briefly) this spring to unimpressive ratings, so ABC has yanked it off the scheduled and shut down production. The network will burn off the remaining five episodes on its website beginning Friday, April 27. It will release one episode each Friday for five weeks.

The show returned to Friday night airings, but nobody watched. I gave up on it after watching the pilot because-- as it turns out-- everything J.J. Abrams touches does not turn to gold.

Now, all we're waiting to hear about is Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's only a matter of time.

Cindy

I absolutely loved this show!....It had an amazing cast and they all worked well together...hopefully another network will pick it up and give it the credit it deserves...ABC announced that they would show the last 5 episodes on their web site...may 18th is not on there....has anyone heard why the 4th and 5th episode is not on the ABC web site?

May 19 2007 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
delia

Absolutely agree. Six Degrees was poorly marketed. Maybe they should have hired the public relations firm from the show itself! Too bad, I was just getting into it.
The new character, Ray, added a clever twist.

May 07 2007 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

ok this show was awesome....it's their fault that they waited sooo long to continue new episodes and then putting them on friday nights as well. i am super sad that it is over, i thought it had a lot of potential and it is new and different from anything on the air right now.

May 04 2007 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily

I am so disappointed that this show isn't coming back. This was one of very few shows and my husband and I both agreed on watching. They didn't promote it at all... most of my friends had never even heard of it.

It just sucks!

May 04 2007 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

I loved the show - however I didn't know it was even back on until after they yanked it again. Why bother getting interested in a show when you know they could cancel it at any moment- I remember hearing that it took ages for All In The Family to really get settled in with the viewers, but the producers believed in it and kept the networks from canning it - and it became a number one show for YEARS - what's up with this instant hit mentality?

April 15 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Six Degrees' demise should send a clear message that the networks' method for testing pilots doesn't work. Last spring, Six Degrees was one of the two highest rated pilots from the focus groups ABC had assembled. The other pilot that the testers gave high scores to was Secrets of a Small Town, which ironically, the ABC execs passed on. Six Degrees did have three things going for it: it was a J.J. Abrams show, it had a solid cast, and at the time the pilot was being tested, Crash had just won the Oscar for best picture, and I think people saw Six Degrees as being tv's answer to Crash. So, upon the good response to the pilot, and the producer's pedigree, ABC greenlighted it. They thought they had a sure hit.

They were wrong. I didn't think Six Degrees was a terrible show, but it wasn't good enough. And it was obvious from the pilot. The characters weren't very compelling, and the coincidences were cliched. I know that you can't always tell how a series is going to evolve based upon the pilot, but with Six Degrees, the foundation on which you build a successful show just wasn't there. And the savvy tv execs at ABC should have seen that as well-and didn't. Because they were relying on the feedback of focus groups.

April 13 2007 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

"everything J.J. Abrams touches does not turn to gold."

You mean "not everything J.J. Abrams touches turns to gold." It's not the same thing.

April 13 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I liked the show but putting it on a Friday night(when it's original broadcast time was Thursday night) after being off the Air for many, many months meant no one was going to watch.
In 3 years LOST has been on at 8PM, 9PM and 10PM. Next year it will move to Friday. It's the ABC way.

April 13 2007 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

i liked this show. it was definately DVR worthy.

April 13 2007 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

I'm a huge J.J. fan, but I also gave up on this one after seeing the pilot. I hope this means it will free up his time to do something more compelling. Bring it on!

April 13 2007 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply