September 2, 2014

World's easiest theme song quiz

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 13th 2007 3:21PM

bensonI have to say, I expected something a little more challenging from the folks at mental_floss. This TV theme song quiz was pretty easy (I scored 100%).

Okay, I'll admit that I got a couple of them correct through a process of elimination. If you had walked up to me and started playing the theme to What's Happening?, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was. I was too young to remember What's Happening?, but not too young to remember the syndicated spinoff What's Happening Now?, although I don't know how the theme to that series went, either, which is probably for the best. God knows I've spent many a night slamming my head in the oven door to erase any memories of The New WKRP in Cincinnati, also.

Anyway, go take the quiz and then come back here and let me know how you did.

[via TV Filter]

Brent McKee

15 of 15. "Doogie Howser" gave me a bit of pause but the real problem was "What's Happening?" It never aired in my part of Canada. Still, once I got it down to two themes (not that hard to do either) the "Doogie" theme was obvious.

I can't help but wonder what the results would be if the quiz featured themes from this season and last with so many channels and so few themes actually being heard more than once or twice.

April 14 2007 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

15 out of 15. Didn't recognize "Doogie Howser M.D." at first because I think they used some obscure bridge section of the theme. Didn't recognize "Alice" at first either, but seeing as how there was the obvious edit of Alice's name, and it was the only single word/name title (other than "Benson", which I knew)...

Had no problem with "What's Happening!", but had to get "Barney Miller" by process of elimination. Looks like all those hours of listening to "Television's Greatest Hits" paid off...?

April 13 2007 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

As an aged couch potato and offspring of a couple of die-hard tv fanatics I found it to be extremely easy. The only one of those shows I didn't regularly watch was Benson. No guessing required here.

April 13 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

15 out of 15. Crazy easy. I mean, c'mon--who's not gonna know the "I Love Lucy" theme song? The only ones I didn't get on the first run through were "What's Happening" which I never watched and "Doogie Howser MD" which I didn't recall, but it was pretty easy to figure out which ones were which.

I think that it would have been harder without the shows listed--if you just heard the music and then had to guess the shows unprompted. Or vice versa, although I don't know how you'd set that up. I mean, I couldn't remember the "One Day at a Time" theme song when I saw the picture, but as soon as I heard that peppy "This is it!" I relived my entire high school years (I was the same age as Mackenzie Philips and I was the rebellious daughter; I watched that show religiously).

April 13 2007 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I got 15 too. Doogie Howser and Knight Rider were the only ones I didn't watch, but it was easy to tell which of them was which.

April 13 2007 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yalmot

15 of 15.

I really need to get a life :o)

April 13 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blair

Got all 15, but I will admit to guessing on Doogie, and What's Happening.

April 13 2007 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanteAmore

15 out of 15. Too easy!

April 13 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhizGidget

13 out of 15. I got the Barney Miller and What's Happening theme songs switched around.

April 13 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I got 15 out of 15 and I only watched about 6 of those shows. The rest was pretty much process of elimination for me.

April 13 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply