April 20, 2014

Ricky Gervais goes to Africa, or does he? - VIDEO

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 14th 2007 11:03AM

ricky gervaisNot everyone is naturally funny, but some forms of humor are easier than others. I think that's why I'm always so impressed with Ricky Gervais, because the man can create some truly vicious satire with the skill of a true artisan.

I invite you to check out a video Gervais made for Comic Relief that also features Stephen Merchant, Bob Geldof, and a special surprise guest in the end. Watch as Gervais and his gang do everything they can to get more time in the limelight without much regard to the cause they're supposedly trying to support. The whole video runs a little over eight minutes, but trust me, it's worth sitting through. This is far and away funnier than anything I've ever seen Robin Williams, Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg perform. I don't mean "perform on Comic Relief" I mean "performed anywhere, ever."

See the video after the jump.

UPDATE: In the comments, reader RazorD provides some background on Jamie Oliver, the man who appears in the video eating fast food. Thanks for the insight, RD. You're right, it makes the video that much funnier.

[via Popwatch]

Karen

Oh my lord, that was brilliant. Just brilliant.

And what makes it work on even a higher level is that Ricky Gervais incorporated Red Nose Day (using comedy to raise money for good causes) in the original "The Office."

Thanks to RazorD for the background; I recognized Jamie Oliver from his show "The Naked Chef," but I didn't know about his fast-food campaign or his Sainsbury's commercials.

April 15 2007 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fergus

Bash,

He breaks the 4th wall, not the third one. As in 3 walls on stage, duh.

April 14 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

That was one of the funniest videos I have ever seen.

Gervais === Genius

April 14 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I love it when he breaks the 3rd wall. He does it so casually ^^;

April 14 2007 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I saw this a while ago and I was laughing throughout! Gervais is extremely funny no doubt...

Man I should finish watching the UK version of The Office and Extras.

April 14 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day...When Geldof came out, I bout cracked up...and it was far funnier than that Will Farrel Sketch.

Too funny!

April 14 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
honey

He's a genius. And I think it comes from the fact that he knows he's acting like an as*hole most of the time. I can't wait to find out what his next television project will be.

April 14 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RazorD

Just for a bit more background incase its not obvious in America..

The guy with the fast food is Jamie Oliver - he's been fighting a big compaign in the UK to get healthier food in School Dinners for kids, hence why it's so funny that he's there eating McDonalds and Burger King.

He's also in the TV Adverts for Sainsbury's (a british grocery supermarket) - hence why the plug Sainsburys too!

April 14 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply