August 27, 2014

Dancing With The Stars: Week 5

by Erin Martell, posted Apr 16th 2007 11:19PM

Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba

(S04E08) Leeza Gibbons is gone, which means that there are only two women left to compete. After some of the men's performances tonight, I doubt that Laila and Heather are worried. There was an informal "muscle shirt" theme this evening, and the men's attempts at fun and sexy had mixed results.

Ian Ziering and Cheryl Burke (Samba) - At the start of the competition, I thought that Ian and Cheryl were one of the best couples out there. Now their performances are strictly "middle of the pack." Ian is definitely capable of more attitude and athleticism, and the judges are on to him. I liked the performance and thought that both Ian and Cheryl looked great. Ian's arm muscles were the most impressive of the night, but his Samba was mediocre when compared with Apolo's. Ian admitted that he had trouble getting into the character of the dance. If he's going to make it to the finals, he will have to overcome that challenge. In a few weeks, all of the dead weight will be gone, and Ian and Cheryl will need to do something to stand out. Score: 24 (8, 8, 8)

Clyde Drexler and Elena Grinenko (Rumba) - I'll be blunt: Clyde is really starting to stink up the joint with his performances. He's very nice and a good sport, but I genuinely do not enjoy watching him dance. Clyde's busy schedule this week included a trip to China, and his travels left him with very little practice time. Early on in the competition, the judges encouraged him to take advantage of his long legs and open up on the dance floor. Clyde is still not heeding this advice, unfortunately. I keep waiting for him to surprise the audience with a little more movement, but no such luck. Clyde and Elena's Rumba was very subdued. Elena essentially danced around Clyde, while Clyde alternated between walking and standing still. The judges showed the couple no mercy, calling Clyde the worst dancer in the competition. I've enjoyed getting to know Clyde's personality, but I have to agree. It's time for him to go. Score: 13 (4, 5, 4) Deserved, but ouch.

Heather Mills and Jonathan Roberts (Samba) - I never noticed that Jonathan was the only male professional with hair on his chest, but Heather did. She insisted that her partner get the "Steve Carell" treatment (that's chest-waxing, for those of you who didn't see The 40-Year-Old Virgin). Ironically, Jonathan's bare chest was Heather's downfall. The pair performed a lively, entertaining Samba. Jonathan wore an open muscle shirt, and Heather wore a dress that made her look like Christmas tinsel. Heather is a great performer, but she was not at her technical best tonight. Their performance took an unlucky turn when Heather's foot slipped on Jonathan's baby-smooth chest, sending her to the floor butt-first. That noise you heard was the applause of millions of Paul McCartney supporters. The judges gave her a break, since the rest of the dance was more than competent. I'm guessing that the fall will motivate Heather to really bring it next week. Score: 21 (7, 7, 7)

Joey Fatone and Kym Johnson (Rumba) - Joey got some dance tips from former bandmate Lance Bass and actor Alfonso Ribeiro. I was waiting for Alfonso to break out some trademark Carlton Banks moves from his Fresh Prince of Bel-Air days, but it never happened. Joey wanted to shed his goofy side and get into the sexy character of the Rumba, and I thought he succeeded. He was flexible and focused, and he even grabbed Kym's butt a few times for good measure. I loved the couple's costumes, particularly Kym's beautiful dress. The judges gave Joey some grief for being too feminine, and Carrie Ann thought that Joey "over-performed" the dance. Bruno was the sole voice of dissent, calling the performance "strong and soft." Score: 25 (8, 8, 9)

John Ratzenberger and Edyta Sliwinska (Samba) - John seemed to take last week's brutal comments to heart, comparing the remarks to a "playground taunting." He stopped himself from pouting, though, which is admirable. John is obviously not the best dancer of the bunch, but his attitude won me over this week. The couple's Samba was playful and captured the party-like tone of the dance. John looked like he was having a lot of fun, and his constant smile was wonderful. He's a charming, lovable guy, and his personality could save him this week. John might end up in the bottom two, but he will probably escape elimination. Score: 18 (6, 6, 6)

Laila Ali and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Rumba) - I am so glad that Laila and Maksim brought their sexiness back to the dance floor! They were way too careful last week. Laila's fiancé made a hilarious appearance during practice, and kept a close eye on the placement of Maksim's hands. Fortunately for all of us, his influence didn't carry over into the couple's performance. Laila's Rumba was hot and flirtatious, and she looked as flawless as ever. As long as the pair can follow the rules and maintain their sex appeal, they have a real shot at winning. Len thought it was Laila's best performance ever, and Bruno thought she was "smoldering." Score: 28 (9, 10, 9)

Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough (Samba) - Apolo confessed that he desperately wanted a 10, and he got three of them. The first perfect score of the season was well-deserved. Apolo and Julianne did their best to go from cute to sexy, and they pulled it off. I actually doubted their ability to move away from their cute image, but they proved me wrong. At first I thought that Julianne's hair and costume made her look like Olivia Newton-John at the very end of Grease (sweet, but unconvincing as a bad girl). By the end of the dance, I was blown away by how Apolo and Julianne transformed themselves into a smokin' hot couple. These two can really get into the spirit of every dance that they perform. Len said that all of the elements of their performance came together, and Carrie Ann called the Samba "perfection." They have to get the encore tomorrow, and I cannot wait to see them dance again. Score: 30 (10,10,10) Woohoo!

Billy Ray Cyrus and Karina Smirnoff (Rumba) - Someone forgot to tell Billy Ray and Karina that Easter was a few weeks back. They really looked like a couple of Easter eggs out there, didn't they? Few men can pull off a pastel purple sleeveless shirt, and Billy Ray is not one of them. Billy Ray's Rumba was a step backward in terms of skill and entertainment value. Karina basically lap-danced around him. The worst part was Billy Ray's attempt at sexiness, which came off more like smarminess. The guy is starting to give me the creeps. Carrie Ann praised Billy Ray's technical skills, while Bruno compared him to a "pillar of salt." Len said that Billy Ray traded the romance of the Rumba for "hanky-panky in the back of a Chevy." Nobody was amused by Billy Ray's predictable response. Billy Ray had a lot of potential early on, but his performances have plateaued. Fan votes are the only thing keeping him alive. Score: 17 (6, 6, 5)

6 RatingIf I based my episode rating solely on Apolo and Julianne's performance, it would receive a 7 out of 7. Some of the other dancers were pretty underwhelming, though, so I'm giving it a 6 out of 7. As for the bottom two, my money is on John and Clyde. Billy Ray's scores put him in the statistical bottom two, but his country fans will probably save him again this week. I would hate to see John go after such a fun performance, but so far the elimination pattern has been clear. Whoever is in the bottom two the previous week gets eliminated the next. But you never know. Apolo & Julianne, Laila & Maksim, and Joey & Kym got my online votes this week.

Remember to vote in AOL's Dancing With The Stars poll!

Dianne Shields

"Move It" song/music Apollo & Julianne danced the samba on week 5. Who did the original song version and what year. Loved the music and would like to hear it again.

April 25 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverly

I think the judges especially the female needs to be replaced. They are horrible. The episode over Heather was unfair and unjust. She was doing excellent to be handcapped. There was nothing wrong with her dances. It's obvious the female judge is all about the men dancers. Guess I'll stop watching now. The only dancers on the floor that deserve to win is Apolo and his
partner.

April 25 2007 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
verily

The judges see grace, strength, beauty, "on" footwork and timing, and a scintillating personality in Laila. She and Maks are the most exciting couple out there. I think we'll see some great footwork and choreography in faster-paced dances to come, too. Gooo Laila and Maks! Laila's fiance's comedic bit was cute, too! Laila and Maks will have to kick it up a notch because Apolo and Julianne were magnificent the other night! What cute kids! Poor Ian apparently gets nervous ( usually near the end) and makes glaring mistakes in footwork and timing. It's seems hard for him to "keep the beat." I think Cheryl's getting a bit exasperated. With that AND with ABC playing up the "hot" Latin angle and MAKING her take him to strippers while pretending it was HER idea. Cheryl is barely out of her teens. And is OBVIOUSLY more innocent than THAT. She kept covering her FACE! The racist producers need to stop with that mess!
Verily
Verily

April 19 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
verily

The judges see grace, strength, "on" footwork and timing, and a scintillating personality in Laila. And they are RIGHT to! Gooooo, Laila and Maks! Apolo and Julianne were incredible! They've kicked it up a notch!
Verily

April 19 2007 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
verily

Laila and Maks are the most exciting pair out there! Laila's footwork is always good. She deserved her 10. Laila has real stage presence (Cheryl picked her to go far at the beginning of the season). I think Maks might need to step it up with the choreography. And they may need to spend more time rehearsing. I know Laila is busy planning for a big summer wedding, but Apolo and Julianne just raised the bar! They were magnificent!
Verily

April 19 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
verily

I loved Laila and Max and Apolo and Julianne, but why does Ian ALWAYS seem to botch his footwork ( usually near the end)? Does he get nervous? His missteps have been VERY noticeable. No wonder Cheryl's a little exasperated. Lachey and Smith ( Emmitt) could at least "keep" the beat! And I wish ABC would have stopped with the "hot Latin" angle! Cheryl is just barely out of her teens and producers had her PRETENDING to want Ian to learn hip action from strippers!!? You could tell from her embarrassed reaction ( covering her face) that it was not HER idea at all, but the racist producers'! Sickening, really. They would NEVER have done that to blonde, blue-eyed Julianne! Nor should they have done it to ANYBODY! She should watch the racist sneaks in wardrobe, too!
Verily

April 19 2007 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debq

I really think the stylist for Heather Mills needs to go....
Whatever the reason for the god awful pink fish scale thing was..it was way off base. Put the package together and the only word I can come up with is FRUMP. I realize it may be wrong to emphasize the clothing, apperance..BUT would Heather Mills pick out this stuff on her own, and if the makeup and hair takes 3 hours...how did she look before?
For the voting...the right couple finally was voted off...
Now the playing field is leveling out, should get interesting.

April 18 2007 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Bring back Shandi as with every passing week she would have won,wrong move,Mike

April 18 2007 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I'm wondering if going first has some effect on the scores for the night. It looked to me that Ian did fairly well but didn't receive high marks. I can't remember how the scoring for the first couples have worked so far, so that idea might be off the mark. I've also heard the judges practically rave about how good a dance was yet the scores didn't reflect their remarks.

Clyde dances from the knees down and he always wears the same expression. Excuses about his height (at one point, Elena said his height made a certain move look like a lift) are just as numerous as those concerning Heather's leg. I can't decide if John is being serious and just can't hack it or is trying to be funny during his dances. Last night, he was skipping through the routine. Poor Billy Ray puts in the effort but it simply doesn't work for him. I agree about the purple silk shirt and her dress...well, that piece down the back looked like it was stuck somewhere it shouldn't have been. I didn't find Joey's dance particularlly feminine, nor did I think Laila and Maks were too awfully hot again this week, though they were better than the last two dances.

Apolo and Julieanne had the best dance of the night, in my opinion. We hope to see it repeated tonight.

April 17 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Gee Trish, too bad John isn't 80. Then he'd win for sure.

April 17 2007 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply