October 31, 2014

My TV Crush: Connie Britton

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 16th 2007 12:04PM
Connie BrittonHow can a woman play one gorgeous, mature, intelligent and down-to-earth woman after another for so long and not get more attention?

That's what I keep thinking any time I see Connie Britton on screen. On Friday Night Lights, Britton plays the Tami Taylor, the sexy, no-nonsense wife of Dillon Panthers coach Eric Taylor. In episode after episode, she showed that she is not only a loving mother and a caring school counselor, but that after years of marriage, she still has passion for her husband. But she also knew that she owns her life; in the next-to-last episode of the season, she told Eric that she wasn't going to follow him to a new job in Austin because she liked her job in Dillon.

Of course, this isn't the first time Britton's played the strong, willowy type. Remember Spin City?

Even though I really enjoyed those first few years of the Michael J. Fox showcase, the real reason why I watched was Connie and her perpetually single character Nikki Faber. Despite the fact that she constantly failed in love, the audience knew that Nikki would be anyone's idea of a catch: tall, beautiful, smart, great job, head on her shoulders. You actually rooted for her to get together with Fox's character of Deputy Mayor Mike Flaherty, and was heartbroken when it didn't work out.

Britton left Spin in 2000, and since then, she's done a number of strong female roles on both TV and in the movies, including playing the wife to Billy Bob Thornton in the movie version of FNL. Just prior to FNL, she had memorable guest turns on both The West Wing and 24. And even in junk like The Fighting Fitzgeralds, she had a presence that most other thirty-something actresses just don't have.

Fun fact: according to her IMDb profile, Britton was once roommates with another thirty-something actress with a strong screen presence -- Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls. Sigh. Must have been a pretty fun (and sexy) place to hang out.

Another fun fact: Britton got an degree in Asian studies from Dartmouth and spent a period of time in Beijing. So the actress is as smart, if not smarter, than the characters she plays. Gotta love that.

Serious fact: according to her NBC bio, she produced and directed a biography on orphans in Ethiopia. So she's not only Intelligent, beautiful and talented, but she's an activist, too. Wow.

Anyway, it's about time that Connie gets some recognition, and my little fawning blog post isn't going to do that. How 'bout an Emmy nomination? She certainly deserves one.

What do you folks think? Let me know in the comments.

Timothy

My comment of April 22, I wasn't clear enough I'm afraid about what I meant. I meant if the Emmy judges didn't think she deserved an Emmy Award I would be ashamed of them,not Connie. I think Connie Britton not only is highly talented but also strong, sexy, and wonderfully devoted person to her profession as an actress.

April 29 2007 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Timothy

I believe Connie definately deserves an Emmy for

her performance and hard work. It would be shameful

if she didn't recieve one.

April 22 2007 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
activ8

My son has a huge huge crush on this lady and he's 11 !
according to him he's going to marry her !!

April 17 2007 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I agree with you as well. Connie needs a lot more attention!

April 16 2007 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WasatchMan

Yeah, I also pretty much stopped watching "Spin City" when Connie left. I wonder how many others did this, Quite a lot, I'll bet.

April 16 2007 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I loved Connie Britton on "Spin City". I thought she and Michael J. Fox had terrific chemistry. I don't think I watched it after she left and they brought Heather Locklear on. Never was a Heather Locklear fan.

Strangely enough, I actually sorta liked The Fighting Fitzgeralds. Brian Dennehy was also on it. Too bad the writing wasn't just a liitle bit sharper-it had the makings of a hit with both Dennehy and Britton in the cast.

I am guilty of not watching "Friday Night Lights" when I know I should be. I love smart, literate tv, I love football, and I love both Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler. So why am I not watching it? I don't know. It is a little heavy, and my life right now requires lighter fare to lift my mood.

April 16 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

Absolutely agree 100%. I love the way she mixes strong/sexy/sensitive/intelligence. Her characters always seem so believable and honest.

Not to mention that gorgeous red hair!

April 16 2007 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

If Connie is not nominated for an Emmy for her role as Tammi Taylor the whole Emmy thing is fixed.

April 16 2007 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

GO BIG GREEN!!!

April 16 2007 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

Agree 100% on everything! And now knowing she's intelligent as well makes my crush on her that much stronger!

Though as usual, I may be mixing my crushes between character and real person...

If she is not at least nominated for an Emmy, that will be the final nail in the coffin of the Television Academy's credibility.

April 16 2007 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply