April 23, 2014

Stump the King -- three spin-offs

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 16th 2007 4:23PM

Evan HandlerWell last weeks trivia question wasn't as hard as I thought. It would appear that the readers here at TV Squad are a bit more knowledgeable about TV, if not more web savvy, than I am used to.

Along with all the answers I got for last week, I also received a request for some information. A reader by the handle of Jefferson wrote, "There was a really crappy show on Fox in the '90s - and yes, I am aware that does not narrow down the field. It was a 1/2 hour sitcom that centered on a group of individuals that survived a nuclear blast and was now living together in some stranded hut together where they have to rebuild civilization and all that stuff. "

Well, as I'm sure many of you know that series was called Woops! starring Evan Handler and Cleavant Derricks among others. It ran on FOX for one season in 1992.

On to this week's question ...

In the history of television there have been three hour-long dramas that were spun off from half-hour sitcoms. In other words, a character or characters from a half hour sitcom eventually showed up as the main character or characters on an hour-long drama. What were those three sitcoms and their spin-offs?

Please feel free to answer in the comments section. The first correct answer will get their name plugged below in this post later, and the satisfaction that comes with being a member of the King's court.

Also if anyone has a trivia question that they think will stump me or just really need to know the answer to, go ahead and let us know.

Well, it only took fifteen minutes but at least the question was hard enough to get readers to team up. The answers were Lou Grant, Trapper John M.D. and The Bradys. Congratulations to PB and David Nelson for getting it right.

I like being challenged to come up with tougher questions. Check back in next week and see what I came up with.

ManiacJoe

I thought I might have been wrong with Fish. I've never actually seen the show, but just remember that Fish had his own spinoff.

Ok, so being that Trapper John is a spinoff of the movie, not the TV show (according to that Wikipedia article), we're still missing 1 show.

April 16 2007 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John G

Wasn't this a question on Paul's "The King of TV" podcast earlier this year?

April 16 2007 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

Yeah, Trapper John was not actually a spin-off to the MASH series though most people believed it was (especially considering the timing).

The series MASH did spin off WALTER, based on the character of Radar post-war. It was a pilot that wasn't picked up and became a tv movie.

Joe, though not all that funny much of the time, Fish was a sitcom (featuring a young Todd Bridges).

April 16 2007 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justin

I believe that Trapper John M.D. was based off the M*A*S*H books, and not the movie or sitcom.

April 16 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

No fair. You should post these questions at a given weekday at a given hour (exactly). There should be an option in your Blog-Software to do that.

That way we can all take part. I came too late to even have a chance to take part. *sob*

April 16 2007 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Wasn't there a lawsuit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapper_John%2C_M.D. -- yeah, yeah, wikipedia link) that decided that Trapper John MD was *not* a spinoff of the sitcom, but rather the movie?

April 16 2007 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Actually, I think officially Trapper John is a spinoff of the MASH movie, right?

April 16 2007 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

trapper john, m.d. from mash

lou grant from MTM

the bradys from the brady bunch

April 16 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

MASH -> Trapper John M.D.
Brady Bunch -> The Bradys

Can't quite come up with the third.....

April 16 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

Trick Question...the third is the OTHER spin-off from M*A*S*H, AfterMASH.

*shudder*