November 26, 2014

The ten most powerful people in TV news

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 16th 2007 11:37AM

AilesI'm not exactly sure what they mean by "powerful" whenever these lists come out. Does it mean influence? Does it mean the most-watched? Probably a mish-mash of both, since the list includes anchors and network executives. Here's the list, according to TV Week. Last year's rank is in parentheses.

1. Roger Ailes - Chairman and CEO of FOX News (1)

2. Steve Capus - President of NBC News (2)
3. Charles Gibson - ABC World News anchor (new)
4. David Westin - President of ABC News (6)
5. Tim Russert - Managing Editor and Host of Meet The Press (4)
6. Keith Olbermann - host of MSNBC's Countdown (new)
7. Sean McManus - President of CBS News (3)
8. Jon Klein, Ken Jautz, and Jim Walton - Top execs at CNN (10)
9. N.S. Bienstock - Talent agency (8)
10. Jon Stewart - host of The Daily Show (5)

Why is Gibson so high on this list? No Bill O'Reilly? And is Stewart really as influential as this list says? If he sees this list he's probably going to cringe, since he doesn't himself in that role (and if the 2000 and 2004 elections are any indication, the youth aren't exactly going out to vote). Not surprised to see Roger Ailes in the top spot I guess, though I wonder if the heads of ABC News, CBC News, and NBC News weren't just put on the list because, well, you need a nice round number like 10 and the networks have to be on here somewhere.

If you're wondering what the N.S. Bienstock talent agency is, they handle O'Reilly, Anderson Cooper, Chris Mathews, Paula Zahn, Glenn Beck, John Roberts, Robin Roberts, and a ton of other news personalities.

[via TV Newser]

VSJ

Talk about being misinformed, I do not even know who half of the names of the men you mentioned (With the exception of Charlie, Keith, Tim, and Jon S)- so much for "Most Powerful" - NOT!

April 21 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I have been called a god hating unpatriotic nazi terrorists by the Bush assholes and other so called "Republicans" but I have never been called a libribal. There are other parties than democratic, republican and asshole Bush "Republican". If you got your head out of your ass you might see that.

April 16 2007 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I think CNN is a joke too, but they don't go around saying "We report [lies], you deside" every 10 seconds.

April 16 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Similar things have never happened within the ranks of the Liberal news world have they?.....Oh wait they have. CNN aired live footage of Cheney with an X on his head, they purposely withheld news of "atrocities" happening in Iraq in the lead up to the second war, and referred to a picture of Osama with a caption of "Where's Obama hiding".......I guess if FNC is a joke for such things, CNN must be a laugh riot.

Liberal networks out number Conservative ones in America 6 to 1 and yet still Liberals make fools out of themselves daily in their attempts to belittle any opposing voice.

April 16 2007 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Last I checked only CBS made up a news story and the guy got fired. Fox made up a news story about Obama, then when they were proven wrong instead of saying sorry they ran with the story and claimed Clinton gave them the info. They also "miss spell" Obama's name and then ly about the Republican's scandals by calling Republicans Democrats. They are a huge joke.

April 16 2007 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Ha dave! I know I laugh when I watch the interchangeable DNC infomercials on ABCCBSNBCCNN. Now THATS comedy!

April 16 2007 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Are you still pretending that Fox has a news station? I'm pretty sure most think of it as Fox Comedy Channel.

April 16 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the Daily Show was a news show. Talk about being misinformed.

April 16 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply