September 18, 2014

The five best lineups in TV history

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 16th 2007 12:58PM

Carol BurnettWelcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.

Even before "Must-See TV" networks made an attempt to capture a particular demographic with a killer lineup of TV shows. (Bob's done one of these lists in the past.) What follows is a list of the best TV lineups in history.

1. CBS Saturday, 1973: All in the Family, M*A*S*H*, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, The Carol Burnett Show. All classics. If this lineup were on today, it would still get huge ratings. It's hard for most folks to remember when these shows were originally on and it's even harder to believe that they were once all on in the same night. It makes me wonder what the other networks were showing or why they even bothered.

2. ABC Friday, 1971-72: The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Room 222, The Odd Couple, Love American Style. A wholesome evening of comedy that turns into the perfect aphrodisiac for any TV fan. This lineup is amazing because it starts out as a G-rated evening and slowly ends up with what was, at the time, a very hip show.

3. NBC Thursday, 1984-86: The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues. Over 100 Emmy nominations combined. I know many of you wonder why I didn't include a lineup with Friends or Seinfeld. It's because those lineups always included ER, which is one of my most despised shows.

4. ABC Tuesday, 1978: Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, Taxi, Starsky and Hutch. This lineup would still hit the 14-20 demographic. Can you imagine being a teenager and watching this night of TV? The Fonz, Lenny & Squiggy, Mr. Furley and Reverend Jim all in one evening!

5. ABC Saturday, 1982-83: T.J. Hooker, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island. I really don't know what to say here. I can't defend these shows, because they are what they are. One thing that can't be argued is that, for the brief time this lineup existed, it dictated the weekend plans for many a budding TV geek.

AlanV

For me a classic Tv fan and a kid of the 80s when nick at nite began I can say I like these lineups I will List.
1.CBS Saturday, 1973: All in the Family, M*A*S*H*, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, The Carol Burnett Show.
2. CBS Wednesday, 1966: Lost in Space, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., The Danny Kaye Show
5. ABC Tuesday,1991: Full House, Home Improvement, Roseanne, Coach, Homefront
6. CBS Friday 1980: The Incredible Hulk, The Dukes of Hazzard, Dallas
7. Fox Sunday 2007: The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad
8. NBC Saturday 1986:The Facts of Life, 227, The Golden Girls, Amen, Hunter
9. CBS Sunday 1959: Lassie, Dennis the Menace, The Ed Sullivan Show, The General Electric Theater , Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Jack Benny Program, What's My Line?
10. ABC Friday, 1971: The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Room 222, The Odd Couple, Love American Style

September 27 2012 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paperchase

Sunday CBS early 80's 60 minutes ,Archie Bunker, One day at a Time, Alice and the Jeffersons. I stopped there but for true fans Trapper John

May 11 2007 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tommy D

Ah yes! I remember and enjoyed all of those shows. However, all of the stars today have suddenly became political. My mommy and daddy told me to never argue religion or politics and I listened. Someone should tell them to keep the politics to themselves and maybe more people would watch. Do these so called stars think that they are smarter than the dumb people that are going gaga over them?

April 17 2007 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Friend

ER is one of the best shows on television right now!!!! It's better now then when it first came out. I also would have to say i miss the TGIF lineup on Fridays especially when Just the Ten of Us was part of the line up before abc mistakenly cancelled it after two seasons (which abc later said they made a mistake).

April 17 2007 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Pettus

Not to be a stickler, but with regards to #4 (ABC Tuesday, 1978): Technically Don Knotts wasn't on "Three's Company" yet, and neither was Christopher Lloyd on "Taxi." But that actually makes your quote cooler, as someone who actually was a teen back then can testify: instead of spending the night watching Mr. Furley and Reverend Jim, we were actually watching Mr. Roper and Andy Kaufman.

April 17 2007 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

How about SciFi Fridays 2005-- Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica?

April 17 2007 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

Wow, every lineup down the list was fondly remembered until I got to #5. I really did not recall that lineup until I read it and said, "Oh Yeah!" It seems like a joke now but that was a really hot night and those were the shows to watch, even though none of them really stood the test of time.
I just rented TJ Hooker on Netflix and I remember how cool that show was at the time and how overboard it all seems now. I can't begin to describe what a joke the Love Boat has become and Fantasy Island was just a retooled Love Boat in the end. But we were all there on Saturday evenings to tune in.

Thank God for TiVo so we can all create our own "must see" nights of television!

April 17 2007 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

The coherent line-up is dead with the advent of PVRs. Fewer people are now sitting in front a TV watching live TV and not wanting to change the channels. Also, all of those lineups were from before the cable explosion that brought us so many more choices than ABC, CBS & NBC.

April 17 2007 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse Anderson

I been watching tv since i were seven years old, i can say this, my taste could be wrong, but if a story did not make you think about a lot of thing in the world, then it was not a good show. Now it ok to laugh, but it the part where you have to learn real life story, because the world is not make up with just the i love lucy people this is a world where that if you make a wrong step then it over with.

April 17 2007 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

You won't believe this--I thought that The Love Boat went off the air in 1982. ABC didn't air it as much that year. They didn't keep a good pattern of airing the show constantly on Saturday nights like they did from 1977-1981. They kept moving it around in their lineup. They were airing football games on Saturday nights on ABC in the fall at the 7 or 8 pm hour and I never saw Love Boat within that lineup. But I was surprised that it was on for 4 more years, because ABC moved it around their lineup about 3 to 4 times that period. They didn't support it enough the last 4 years (82-86) like they did the first 5 of '77 to '82.

April 17 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply