Lost audio podcast recap: April 16, 2007
This week's Lost audio podcast was one of the best ever, mostly due to M.C. Gainey's short interview. Gainey told some entertaining stories about working with Carlton Cuse, the origin of his name, and his most recognizable roles. As usual, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse previewed this week's episode and answered fan questions. Here's the recap:
- M.C. Gainey first got to know Carlton Cuse when the two worked together on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
- He agreed to take a part on Lost without reading a script or getting a character description. Working with Carlton Cuse again was motivation enough.
- The writers tell Gainey very little about his character. He initially thought that Tom actually had a beard. It wasn't until late in Season Two that he learned Tom's beard was a fake within the story as well.
- Gainey said that the strangest role he ever had was the Naked Man character in Sideways.
- When he isn't getting recognized for Lost, Gainey mostly gets singled out by fans for his role in Con Air.
- Both IMDb and Wikipedia incorrectly list Gainey's full name as Michael Christopher Gainey. According to Gainey, the M.C. stands for Mike Conner. He was named for Martin Sennet "Mike" Conner, the first Irish-American governor of Mississippi. When he began acting, he was told that his name was too similar to Mike Connors of the show Mannix. He has been M.C. ever since.
- Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof just finished writing the two-hour finale for Season Three.
- The Galaga sub was named after the Galaga game in the writers' offices.
- Juliet's affair with Goodwin will be revisited in a future episode.
- Rachel's cancer may not have returned after Juliet came to the island, as Ben claimed.
- Something "fairly momentous" will happen this week; the event was teased in the episode's previews.
- The pregnancy issue discussed in "One Of Us" will come up again in "D.O.C.," Sun and Jin's flashback episode.
- We will see the DHARMA Initiative in its heyday during a Season Three episode.
- The Lost video game is set to be released this year.
"Catch-22" airs this Wednesday at 10pm ET on ABC.