September 1, 2014

Rumors galore: Veronica Mars canceled, Jericho renewed

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 17th 2007 3:41PM

Veronica MarsThose are the latest rumors spreading around the internets and the industry, that The CW has all but canceled the cult favorite Veronica Mars and that CBS is going to give a surprising second season renewal to Jericho, which looked like it might be dead in the water.

USA Today is reporting that a really good source is saying that Veronica Mars is "all but dead." Critic Robert Bianco says that fellow writer Gary Levin says the show is gone and he's "almost always right about these things." I think any buzz that the show might have had a year or so ago is now dead and a renewal is unlikely. (Isabelle talked about this last month, too.)

As for Jericho, SyFyPortal says that not only will CBS renew the drama, but it will move it to a new night in the fall to get it away from American Idol. Time will tell. The networks reveal their new schedules next month.

[via TV Tattle]

mark

I'm almost afraid to mention out loud what my favorite shows are anymore. The suits consistently cancel the best written programs; or seemingly do everything within their power to sabotage them.

...And then they have the audacity to wonder why more people are turning off their television sets.

May 18 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathi Clarke

I love JERICO. I am really disappointed that Johnston Greene was killed off, but I still love Jerico and want to see it back next season.

May 13 2007 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julielw

I hope these rumors are true. I LOVE Jericho and I believe the acting is very good. I really like the fact that Gerald McCranny (I know I spelled that wrong) is in this show. I've loved him since "Simon & Simon". He's such a talented actor. I really hope they don't kill him off.

As far as the other shows mentioned. I never gave VM a chance. It never appeard to be of interest to me personally - and I'm in the 30 plus crowd. I also never paid attention to exactly when AI was on nor whether it was at the same time as Jericho. I really don't get the fascination America has with AI. I wish they would take *that* stupid "reality" show off the air.

May 03 2007 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I think JERICHO was only opposite A.I. one time. Wed. seems just fine to me. But I will watch it any day....any time.
JUST PLEASE CBS......BRING IT BACK!!

April 19 2007 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

What? Jericho is fantastic. This is a knuckle biter. I sit on the edge of the chair and can't do anything for an hour. What bad acting? How do you want them to act? The country has been destroyed. Should they all be having fun and laughing? Gail Green is perfect. She is angry, sad, and caring, all at the same time. You can see the children changing from children to cold hearted people. I write to CBS every week, begging them to give it a chance. I have to say, I like it better than Lost or Heroes, and I am a huge Lost fan.

April 19 2007 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Veronica Mars is the best show on television.

@ 4: Susan, what horrible events has VM glorified? Are you high?

@ 8: It's damn tv show and it's loyal to reality to a certain point, otherwise it will be very boring. And yeah, Veronica Mars is filmed in San Diego but it doesn't take place there, it takes place in Neptune, CA.

I hope this cancellation rumors are false and we get another season, actually, plenty more. But if not, tv is preatty much dead to me, there aren't much quality shows left on tv because all the networks care about is money.
I'm thankful to Rob Thomas for showing me such strong character as Veronica and teaching me some valuable lessons I once started to learn with Joss Whedon.

April 18 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kazuya

I'm 23 and I love Veronica Mars. It's slightly intellectual, raises some good issues and her wit makes me laugh 9/10 times.

Over here in Australia there's a bit of a cult following behind it, it's actually one of the last shows I truly enjoy.

April 18 2007 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lazarus

@ 4: Susan, what horrible events has VM glorified? Yes, it depicts violent acts, but the focus is on what happens in the wake of violence, not the violent acts themselves. The viewers are left to deal with the aftermath. With the exception of Veroncia being a tad trigger happy with the taser, I see the show as doing the opposite of glorifying the violence it depicts.

And to those who question the depiction of collegiate life in VM: While I attended a large, urban, East Coast university and not a small, Californian liberal arts college, I find the depiction of college life on VM to be surprisingly accurate. At times heightened for television, sure, but very much grounded in reality.

At my school, there was a serious problem with sexual assault on campus and in the surrounding neighborhood. There were multiple major protests (with hundreds of students) in an attempt to force the administration to honestly confront the problem. Students wore red tape for months to signify the difficulties of fighting the bureaucracy when trying to report an assault. Take Back the Night was one of the most visible and vocal groups on Campus with their rallies and marches receiving major coverage in campus news sources. We even had several different organizations that could be considered real-world versions of Lilith House. I understand that each person's college experience is different, but for me and my college friends who are VM-fans, the depiction of college life was on the mark and sometimes scarily accurate.

@ 8: Again, I understand that this is my own experience, but at my school, the main college radio station was quite popular, much discussed, and broadcast from behind the food court. Also, our college dean had a huge cult of personality surrounding him. He came to most major events and even appeared on stage in several campus productions. Everyone knew who he was and students regularly stopped him on campus to introduce themselves or just to say hi.

April 17 2007 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I LOVE JERICHO and NEVER miss it. It is exciting and suspenseful and has only gotten better and better with each episode. I LOVE Gerald McRaney and Skeet Ulrich as well.
PLEASE CBS RENEW this great show!

April 17 2007 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jk

I'm so upset there canceling vm. I hope another network picks it up or at least the "4 yr later plot" happens. And in response to the coment that Veronica mars watchers are in there 30's +...i'm 21 and i've been watching the show since I was 19. I get all the jokes, and so does my dad who watches it with me who is 54 and we both love it. It's too bad that when something that isn't I love new york or the search for the next blah blah, comes on and gives great character's and interesting story line's only makes it 3 seasons.
Ps: aren't there already like 15 members of the pussy cat dolls, do we really need more?

April 17 2007 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply