September 15, 2014

Dave Chappelle does a six-hour stand-up routine

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 18th 2007 12:40PM
chappelleDave Chappelle is back on the stage after his departure from Comedy Central's Chappelle's Show in 2005. On Sunday night, he took the stage at Los Angeles' Laugh Factory for six hours and seven minutes! Not much is known about what he said or did, but the owner of the joint says the audience was howling with laughter the entire time.

Earlier this month, unfunny "comedian" Dane Cook set the Laugh Factory record for endurance at three hours, 50 minutes. The previous record was held by Richard Pryor, who was on stage for two hours, 41 minutes back in 1980. Does anyone else think Chappelle was trying to stick it to Cook for busting Pryor's record? I sure as hell hope so.

TVblogger

The greatest thing about this story is that it's a story about stand up comedy that doesn't have "Joe Rogan" in the title.

April 18 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Chappelle is awesome! I like his old stuff (not necessarily Chappelle Show). Dane Cook is just boring and like to jump around like Tom Cruise does on Oprah.

April 18 2007 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skippy

Those poor cocktail servers who got stuck there for hours and hours. Jeeze. I hope it was a single show night. Thats some Paul Mooney bullshit right there.

April 18 2007 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

I think he was absolutely doing it just to stick it to Cook. I can't think of any other reason someone would even attempt to be on stage that long... good on him though, a real comedian deserves that record.

April 18 2007 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emor8t

It's odd. I got extremely tired of hearing Dave Chappelle's one-liners being echoed at nausea. I mean there was only so many times you can hear "I'm Rick James.." or "I'm rich" and not hate it to death. It got to the point where I didn't want to watch the show so I didn't know the catch phrases.

I thought Dane was funny back in 2002, but he repeats his skits more than people quote Dave. Then you just realize that it wasn't that funny to begin with.

Now, especially after seeing him on Inside the Actors studio, I want mroe Chapelle material.

April 18 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

HOLY GOODNESS! That is a bloody long time! Well someone got what they paid for Sunday night then. Glad to hear it. Cheers to him!

April 18 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply