April 23, 2014

House: Act Your Age

by Tom Biro, posted Apr 18th 2007 1:01PM
Chase - House
(S03E19)
"Work smarter, not harder." If those weren't the words that summed up Dr. Gregory House's way of doing things, then I'm not sure what would be. That said, when he uses them on Dr. Chase - the least likely candidate of his team to get a compliment like that - it's even more proof that his way of doing things, from the straight diagnosis down to his habits, rubbing off on the team. Strangely, I think that's a good thing.

This week, we had a fantastic combination of a very cool medical case, drama between Cameron and Chase, and some interesting developments with Cuddy and Wilson, even if some of it is being driven by House. And remember what we'd been talking about a few weeks ago regarding how this show was (hopefully) not going down the too-much-sex route as far as plot goes? Well, this week sex was behind the medical issue going on, but not in the way you might have thought.

After some relationship "issues" have put Cameron and Chase on the outs, it was pretty apparent to House and Foreman that the pair had quit their hookup situation. Strangely, it was the noticing by those two that might have "fixed" at least some of the problems, even if it didn't end with their colleagues back in bed together. In between those two settling things, it was at least fun to see Cameron return the flirtations of a little boy, and I'm so very surprised she didn't smack him when he grabbed her backside.

"You did not play the dead husband card," by the way, may be one of the better quotes that has come out of this show in a long time, IMHO.

Yet again, I'm amazed at the tolerance that Wilson has for House. After House sent his pal flowers following a "date" that Wilson had with Cuddy the night before, and he found out about it, it could have ended very badly. Instead, just a simple "good night" between the pair and we move on. As far as Cuddy goes, however, her frustration with need for a relationship with someone clearly stood out as the show closed, as she pondered the father of the two children that had just left her hospital's care, and how he was dating their teacher. I swear that every other week I think she'll end up with House in one way or another, and it's just not clear what's going to happen there for me right now.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between love and relationships that are taking place between the individuals coming in as patients with House's team and the amount of love/relationship content that happens in the hospital staff on any given week. This is something I almost want to go back and take a look at, to see if it makes any sense. In any case, the happy ending that was this week's closing probably spells some trouble for us going forward, no? I mean, how can we have something end so positively, with flowers, smiles, and jokes all around, and not have turmoil rear its ugly head on House and the team?

As far as rating this week's episode, I'm going to give it a six. It wasn't "perfect" by any means, but had a great mix of dialogue, one-liners, plot and some semi-resolution as far as Cameron and Chase go.

DeAnn

I don't think Cameron and House will end up together, though its obvious she still has feelings for him, probably because he's unattainable and emotionally unavailable, and shes the kind of woman who likes that kind of challenge. I feel terrible for Chase, though, who is obviously in love with her, and yet, he's my least favorite character, though he's grown up quite a bit from Season one.
I think that Cuddy will have sex with House at some point, probably after she tries and fails to have it with Wilson. She wants a smart man to father her child, and she knows how smart both Wilson and House are. She'd probably take House's sperm in a second if she could get it from a sperm bank.
I think that Omar Eps deserves another crack at a relationship, but this time I think it should be with someone who demands that he be there emotionally and not be like House. It should be someone that is "in his league" in terms of brains and beauty. As to this episodes main plot, I found that father who was boinking the teacher to be a real turd, too, and I was surprised that CPS didn't take his kids away from him. What a egotistical jerk, to be slathering himself with testosterone creme to the detriment of his children. The guy was obviously thinking with his little head instead of his big one. I wish we'd seen more of House in the clinic with the instant diagnosis and quips he gives people there...I just love those moments, because they are so hilarious.

April 22 2007 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johncarter

Anyone who was complaining that House is too much about medical cases and too little time is spend on character development and their personal lives and relationships can´t say a word now. After 2 and a half seasons where we were treated with only a small hint or two in every episode about personal lives now we got a complete turn-around. Which I had to say is a House-writers style - to go over the top and still somehow manage to make no cliche of it (just to mension Foreman with a neurological defect, House being shot - others show would make a season or two out of this, while now we barely remember that House has got shot or Foreman had a brain biopsy - btw. The man who shot House escaped (as Cameron mentioned in season 3 premiere) so will he be coming back? But that is not what i wanted to talk about.
The point is - why such a big turn-around in handling of personal lives and characters ? I got my theory but i´ll mention it later. The one good thing about this that writers didn´t change one thing and that is - We actually don´t know for sure about feelings of any of the characters, we just have to guess and take small hints. So let´s sum up what we know about feelings of each character:
Cameron - was in love with House in season 1, spend seasons 2 and 3 trying to deny that she is still in love with him, slept with Chase but apparently doesn´t want a relationship with him Chase - is in love with Cameron
House - was in love with his ex-wife, had a dream about Cameron and Cuddy and asked them out
Foreman - was dating some women in the past, the last one he dated claimed that he´s like House
Wilson - divorced
Cuddy - thinks that House likes her
I was trying to write down things we kind of know for sure, not the tons of speculations. OK, so now back to my theory about the turn-around. I think the show was going too much House/Cameron way. With some exceptions (House ex-wife story arc, Trigger story arc this season) we were getting smaller or bigger hints in every episode about these two. I liked it actually but it became a bit annoying to watch it and still know that at the end of an episode it will still be the same. I think the writers have come to a point when they needed to do something with it - either bring the two together or try to separate them in some way. So they went for a second thing but i think that they will try to bring them back together to the state they were in earlier or later (possibly by the end of this season, maybe even next one). I may be wrong but i don´t think that writers will just throw 2 and half seasons away and hope that the viewers will believe anything. So that´s all for now.
P.S. There´s another issue I mentioned in my comment 2 or 3 weeks ago that I would like to discuss next week - Cameron changing into House (this weeks ´dead husband card´ was so Housish, can´t imagine Cameron from season 1 or 2 doing that).

April 21 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

wow, I thought this episode was such an improvement over the last few. I loved the House and Wilson scenes. Hugh and Sean are just awesome in every scene together. I really hope they don't go down the House vs Wilson for Cuddy later on.

Glad to see the Chase/Cameron thing is somewhat over, though after this episode I was kind of hoping to see them together. Oh well.

House's crack about Cameron being underweight/her period was the first time in a while that got an "OSNAP!" from me. Good times.

April 20 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie

i concur w/ cc. i also think the writing is brilliant. we watched the house/wilson convos 3x more after the show was over. they were so perfect. but i really feel their relationship is so often misinterpreted, even tho it's such a felicitous depiction of male friendship. wilson doesn't 'tolerate' house; they're friends. even as he was testing house, he must have known house would encourage him to make the stupid move (i knew it, and wilson's known house longer than i have). the "night, wilson;" "night, house" exchange was absolutely perfect in terms of showing how and why they're friends. and they know each other well enough that i think (and hope) that the show can't do anything to screw that friendship up. dunno if that made sense.
the thing i'm most proud of is that i got house's "eggs benedict" reference (i know the joke from 60's-era woody allen standup -- don't know if it's actually older than that). please tell me i was the only one -- that would be so cool!

April 18 2007 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard have such terrific chemistry that you could stick them on a stage, have them read phone books to each other, and it would still be entertaining.

April 18 2007 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Dad kept the cream at his gym and assumed there was no way for the tykes to have come in contact with it. Combined with a reticence to discuss his affairs, it didn't occur to him there could be a connection.

April 18 2007 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

The one thing I found a bit preposterous in this episode was the father. You've got 2 kids in the hospital -- serious stuff, too -- about a mysterious hormone imbalance. And it doesn't seem a bit pertinent to you that you're slathering yourself with hormone cream?

April 18 2007 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I really don't think that House and Wilson are going to wind up fighting over Cuddy in the sense that both want her. More than likely, she'll give one of them a shot and they will argue about whether or not it is a good idea.

I read some speculation on another site that "they are setting up Wilson to come out of the closet". That seems preposterous to me.

Their dynamic is so interesting to me because they speak to each other in the voices of scolding wives and good friends at the same time. They sort of revel in their mutual loneliness.

April 18 2007 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

You know that the show is going to climax with House and Wilson both fighting over Cuddy. They're just planting the seeds right now.

April 18 2007 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margot

My favorite line was when House asked the little blond girl at the day care if she had hair in her special places. Priceless.

April 18 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply