August 29, 2014

Should NBC cancel Law & Order?

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 19th 2007 2:45PM
law and orderThere are all sorts of media reports swirling around lately that NBC is considering canceling Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Both series are suffering from consistently low ratings and it wasn't a good sign earlier this year when NBC moved the original Law & Order to Siberia Friday nights. NBC reportedly met with L&O creator Dick Wolf earlier this week to discuss the series' futures, and both are considered "on the bubble", though Criminal Intent is more likely to see a renewal than the original Law & Order. A decision isn't expected until early next month. (SVU is safe, by the way, with its stars earning mega bucks next season)

This is the original Law & Order's 17th season and, even though it has reached legendary status as far as television series go, it is time for it to go. I think the Chevy Chase episode proved that. It feels tired and stale. There are way too many "ripped from the headlines" episodes and can anyone even keep track of who the main detectives are anymore? The series has gone through so many stars that it's getting hard to keep up. Plus, I think it became about "sexy" detectives and lawyers, rather than the original, more gritty characters played by Chris Noth, Paul Sorvino, Michael Moriarty, and Jerry Orbach.

Do you think Law & Order's time is up?

JOYCE BUTTS

IT'S A VERY GOOD SHOW. ALL THE LAW AND ORDER'S PLEASE KEEP IT ON THE AIR. LOT'S OF PEOPLE' AND HUNDREN'S WATCH IT THANK YOU JOYCE

May 15 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anitajo

Noooooooooooooooo! Keep all three! Yeesh, I couldn't believe they'd think for a split second to take any L&O off the air!

May 09 2007 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RITA

Get rid of Criminal Intent if V.D. is not going to star in all the episodes....C.N. is not a very good actor and relies on his facial expressions to convey whatever...Guess the director advises him what to do. Always followed all three of the programs but now have no interest in the CI when Noth is in it.. Somehow, it just doesn't ring true.
True, the scripts are not as good and the lighting is terrible but with VD it always passed muster....

May 04 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RITA

May 04 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suasn

I am a die hard L&O fan. All the L&O series is all I watch.I'm tired of all these "reality" shows. Keep Noth on and get rid of what's his name. If these shows were not on I wouldn't even bother turning on the tv with all the other junk that is on tv. Wow, if L&O goes,I guess my tv will have togo too.

April 26 2007 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I'm glad plenty of people seem to agree with me about Chris Noth. CI has practically fallen off my radar altogether since every time I seem to catch it, it's a Noth episode. We get it, he's a "loose cannon."

I like Jesse Martin, and it might be the same old same old, but I just don't get tired of Sam Waterson. But for some reason, I see standard L&O on my DVR and I pass it by an awful lot... generally I expect it to be an insufferable "ripped from the headlines" episode or worse, just plain boring. I find myself enjoying TNT reruns far more.

April 25 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alan

I think Law and Order and Law and Order Criminial intent are two of the smartest shows on television. This is television for adults. The ripped from the headlines format along with filming the show in new york keeps law and order fresh.

In the past when actors were replaced at first i hated them and by the end of the season i loved them. NOt this time for Law and order. I feel the two replacements added this season do not add to the program and i feel no connection with the characters. I think det. green who is great! needs a new partner. I think andre braugher would be great.

I hope that both criminial intent and law and order will be saved and put in time slots where they can florish.

April 24 2007 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cecelia

I do not think that Law and Order should be cancelled. CI, yes. But not the original. It is true that the players have been changed around a bit but keep Martin, Espathia, Waterson, and Thompson (unless he runs for President). The show is still very good and entertaining. But, the show was put on Friday nights. How can that count for ratings?

April 24 2007 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renea

Please don't cancel them. We love them. They are perfect for people who want to watch adult shows without a lot of language and sex.

April 22 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chicameeka

Bite your tongue. These are the two best shows on. I'm a great grandmother and Vincent still can make me feel like coming out of retirement. I not only watch both shows, but watch them on cable in reruns.

April 22 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply