September 19, 2014

24 "peaked too early?"

by Meredith O'Brien, posted Apr 20th 2007 4:41PM

Jack Bauer on 24TV Guide's Matt Roush thinks that by having a nuclear bomb explode during the riveting first four hours of this season's 24, the counter-terrorism drama may have set itself up for failure by "peaking too early."

Despite a few moments of true excitement this season -- the return and the subsequent stabbing of President Logan, the assassination attempt on President Palmer II and the apprehension of terrorist Abu Fayed in grisly Jack Bauer fashion -- there has been almost non-stop griping about how this season hasn't been up to par.

Roush said 24 has also suffered by having to compete in the 9 p.m. slot with the freshman drama Heroes with which viewers are still enamored because of its fascinating Lost-like twists and connections. "Ironically, Heroes is building toward the sort of cataclysmic explosion that 24 hasn't quite recovered from," Roush wrote.

Did 24 writers set themselves up for failure by having such a dramatic event occur in the first four hours? Or are critic-types being too hasty in declaring this season sort of bland and repetitive?

Joe T

cc -- that's some pretty far fetched crap. You're not only smoking bad dope, you're drinking the purple kool-aid too.

April 23 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daniel

God If I hear another person misuse Jumping the Shark I am going to explode...

April 22 2007 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

To jcspeaks:

Picky, picky, picky.

April 22 2007 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

If making sense of the entire season means lines like "I just killed my partner earlier today (Curtis), so don't think I won't kill you" (Jack talking to Doyle), then that's crap. I'm seriously debating whether or not I'll watch the show next season, let alone a movie. I think a major problem with the show is that they kill off all the likable characters just to be shocking. And now there aren't any left to care about. Right now there's just Chloe and Buchanan, but I wouldn't be surprised if they died in the next few weeks. Even if they do a complete re-haul next season with new characters, they've shown with this season that they've played all of their cards and it'll continue to be more rehash. I thought the fact that they have an uninterupted airing schedule allows them to plan the season (or most of it) well in advance. It sucks to hear that they only right one episode at a time.

April 22 2007 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcspeaks

I, too, feel that 24 has "Jumped the Shark", but not simply because of the issues mentioned above. I am as much committed to "Suspension of Belief" when reading or watching a good story as the next person. But If a show is suppose to be related even remotely to reality, as 24 implies even with its title, then I expect some effort to not totally insult my intelligence with improbable and totally inexplicable lapses as two that occured in the last show.
1) While riding the undercarriage of the truck, Jack tries to reach CTU but the cell phone loses its signal. Okay, he's under a multi-ton truck moving through the city. But after he arrives at a warehouse, and is out in the open, knowing the bombs are there, and he is the only link, why wouldn't he try his cell phone again? After all, if it happens that he with his one gun cannot overcome several terrorists with automatic weapons, and he dies, wouldn't that pretty much leave the terrorists with a Go Free card? Wouldn't it cross his mind that it should be very important to let CTU at least know where he and the bombs are?
2) But the one that almost caused me to laugh out loud was the phone call he gets from the Chinese--at exactly the right moment after he has singlehandedly beaten all the terrorists, and help has arrived, but just before the bombs are safely carted away. What a coincidence! What perfect timing! How do they do it? Do they have a transmitter implanted in Jack that broadcasts his every action and position? Excuse me, but if the Chinese are this good, why do they need Jack at all? I had a hard time last season when, after just wrapping up an operation that could not possibly have been planned out or estimated for completion, the Chinese are all set up to snatch Jack at just the location that he happens to wind up in. I tried putting that one out of my mind, but this brought it back in graphic --and comic--relief.
I am having a hard time "re-investing" myself in this show.

April 21 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

Have the 24 writers given any reasons as to why they
are now writing the show one episode at a time? It seems like less can come out of it, and I think this season is proving that.

Whatever the case, I really think that the writers will try hard to make season seven a drastic improvement.

April 21 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davy Fields

Yeah, I'm glad we finally got some people together to tell C C to stop it. While I hope there's some connection by the end, I'm betting they'll just lamely tie in SOMETHING from earlier with this Chinese plot and call it a season.... maybe Phil Bauer's goons help Jack with the Chinese or Marty Logan makes some more deraned phone calls to Russia to get them to put pressure on China, but there's no way to tie in all this stuff in some neat little package anymore. This season's ridiculous.

April 21 2007 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cinesister

Thank god some folks are finally getting on CC's case. Maybe he/she/whoever will get the message and stop coming onto EVERY SINGLE 24 POST to debunk the show and everyone else's opinions with long-winded, rambling, and frankly boring comments. I enjoy reading the 24 debate on TV Squad, it's usually much less fangirly and obsessed than on other sites, but this nonsense is getting really, really old. And fast.

April 21 2007 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Yeah, Delmarc, sometimes I think there's a bit of mischief behind some of C.C's postings. But maybe not.

I don't want to get on C.C.'s case, because I think some of his postings have been interesting and entertaining, but I wish he would address one key question your raised: namely, " how do you fake a whole nuclear explosion (IN THE USER MEDIA AGE)?". Come on, C.C., you have to admit that's one "scam" the writers would never be able to explain convincingly.

Well, we'll learn soon enough whether any of C.C.'s theories have been correct. Some could be. I think he was right in predicting the return of Heller: it seems inevitable to me that Jack will go to him for help, maybe this week coming. And that should prove interesting. As to whether he's bad (as C.C. has suggested), I hope not.

Like you, I think the show took off in the right direction a few episodes back, with better pacing, nifty plot twists, increasingly interesting new characters (Doyle, Daniels, even Palmer) along with our old favourites getting up to their best old tricks.

Still not holding a candle to last season, it's WAY Too late for that, but enough to get me looking forward to Monday night again.

April 21 2007 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delmarc

C.C, in the past, I have said your theories on the future of this season is wrong because you don't really know or understand the previous plots, story arcs, points, and overall facts of storyline in previous seasons of 24. It seems like you've been watching an alternate universe of this show. I still stand by that, and I know 100% that your wrong on your theories. But on this post, I would like to critisize your theories and speculations. If thats what ends up happening (which it WON'T), then you might as well cancel 24 after this season. 24 fans are smart and very much educated, and there is no way the 24 writers can pull off a "scam" season finale without insulting their viewers. This would completely change the atmosphere of the show, making 24 more like Alias or even the x-files. It would be the worst idea in television history. Not to mention how impossible it is, in terms of logistics and planning, to fake a whole nuclear explosion (IN THE USER-MEDIA AGE), nevertheless everything else that you said is fake (which really and uterrly makes no sense). And Charles is right, these spoilers have been 100% accurate since the season premiere, and theres no reason that it wont be till the end. However, I disagree on the part that he said it will suck, I think the show had a crossing point in episode 16, where the rest of the season will pick up pace and end in a dramatic fashion with guns ablazing.

In conclusion, C.C, I really wish you see more episodes of 24. And I mean really watch them for what it is, and to stop over-analyzing it for what it's not. Either that, or I really think your whole posts are "scams", intended to get us (true-hardcore fans of 24) to argue with you for no reason. I gotta say, it works.

April 21 2007 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply