April 17, 2014

Deadwood movies won't air until 2008 at the earliest

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 20th 2007 8:05AM

DeadwoodYou know, it's been so long since I've seen the last episode of Deadwood that I'll have to go back and watch it again to prepare for the two movies that will end the western saga. I think the last scene showed Gerald McRaney on his way out of town, probably heading to Jericho, Kansas.

But there's no rush. According to this story at the Chicago Tribune, not only are the two movies not going to air until 2008 at the earliest, but (according to cast member W. Earl Brown), the stars of the show haven't even signed contracts to appear in the TV flicks. But creator David Milch said a couple of months that he is "committed" to finishing the movies.

Right now Milch is busy working on his new HBO show John From Cincinnati, which premieres June 10. It stars Austin Nichols as a surfer who moves to Cincinnati, partly to get revenge on the Yost family, which wronged his family years earlier. The show also stars Rebecca DeMornay, Bruce Greenwood, Ed O'Neill, and Luke Perry.

WM

Production on "John From Cincinnati" may be cut short in order to begin production on the Deadwood movies.

See www.savedeadwood.net

May 01 2007 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I'm disappointed David Milch put this show on the back burner.

April 20 2007 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

If I were Sumner Redstone, I would have put Deadwood on for another three seasons on Showtime. After all, he owns both Paramount (the studio that made Deadwood) and Showtime, which has less than half the subscribers of HBO. It would have been a great move for the fans of Deadwood as well as good business sense.

Unfortunately, I am not Sumner Redstone... just the guy who writes and posts to blogs...

April 20 2007 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Well if they make a Deadwood movie I hope that it doesn't end as lousy and disappointing as the series. That sucked! It had to be one of the worst series finales ever made. All the hype, it was like someone told you you were going to the best place in town to eat, only toget to rummage the dumpster.

April 20 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The Sopranos didn't jack viewers around?????? What do you call the last 2-3 seasons? The Sopranos INVENTED the 12-18 month interval between seasons.

I knew I was over The Sopranos a while back when I started looking at my watch to see how soon an episode would end and Deadwood would begin. Hopefully, they will do the 2 "movies". I'd wait 2-3 years for that. If HBO suddenly cancelled The Sopranos, I 'd shrug at most.

April 20 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

One word. Carnivale.

April 20 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

The last time I check, The Sopranos didn't jack viewers around. The viewers just aren't open enough to more things besides murders everyweek.
I want to defend Deadwood because HBO cancelled it, but David Milch could have at least took care of closing the book on this before he started another project. I will give you that.

April 20 2007 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Based on the info in the Chicago Tribune article, and based on my belief that many of the "Deadwood" actors are 1st class thesbians who are eminently employable in Hollywood, I don't see the movies getting made :( The scheduling conflicts will be too much. It also sounds like David Milch is running out of energy, and may be burning out. :(

April 20 2007 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SuperFan Ken

I am so tired of the Cable TV series that jack the loyal viewers around.
Stargate SG-1 (before going to SciFi), Dead Like Me, Huff, Deadwood, The Sopranos, and I'm sure there are more...

They all take the viewers for granted. I'm to the point now where I don't want to watch any series shows on any of the "Movie" channels, no matter how good they are.

April 20 2007 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply