October 24, 2014

Pearl McKay: a mystery is solved

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 20th 2007 1:01PM

pearl mckayEver since I linked to the short video by Adam McKay and Will Ferrell on their new comedy competition site, FunnyOrDie.com, there's been a lot of speculation among myself and my readers as to just how it was they got the little girl in the video, McKay's daughter Pearl, to curse like a drunken sailor.

I assumed she wasn't, that it was probably just a bit of mind trickery using subtitles to make it appear she's saying something she isn't. However, McKay told People that wasn't the case:

"Fortunately she is in this great stage now where she repeats anything you say to her and then forgets it right away, which is key."

So there you go: mystery solved. I stand corrected, though I still maintain it would be possible to make a video like this without the child swearing using the method I explained above. Either way, that video is still the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, and I live in a inflatable apartment building run by retired circus clowns, so I'm surrounded by humor all day.

Erica

Fact: Most kids don't remember much prior to the age of three.

It's a kid swearing for an online video. Get over it.

July 06 2007 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tia

if you have a problem with this video then you obviously have no sence of humor. this video is the best thing i ever watched and i still cant stop laughing! thanks mckay and ferrell for making such a great video!

June 19 2007 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I am extremely sensitive about stuff like this but i have watched this 4 times already and you can tell that nobody is laying any trips on the kid and she's jjust mouthing words (bRILLIANTLY) and is perfectly fine. i laugh to tears just thinking about it. In the Aristocrats there was a scene with someone (maybe Mckay?) doing the joke with his baby on his lap and that was a different story - you could tell the kid was disturbed by it even though she/he was too young to understand English.

May 12 2007 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luisa

Really people get a hold of yourselves. It's just a video I don't think parents make it a hobbie on teaching swearing words now. It just so happens you see a video that's totally hilarious and you just make it worse by giving it bad comments. Just enjoy the video for what it is, A Comedy.

May 08 2007 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elle

anyone who thinks that the pearl video isnt funny has got to get a sense of humour. Did YOU know what "bitch" meant when you were 2 years old? Unlikely. And Adam even said in his interview with People that she hasnt repeated it. Plus she's adorable! Where's the harm?

May 01 2007 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

i agree that people should lighten up, its not like she will be affected by this, probably she doesnt even remember anything she said.... and it was funny and cute... i think she is gorgeous and maybe she could become a great actress haha i would definetly be a fan... and maybe people should start worrying about their own children not others.... love pearl!!!!

April 30 2007 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miss Tina

Actually Where Do My Stars Go, there is nothing funnier than a toddler cursing like a drunken sailor. When my daughter was Pearl's age, she did the same thing.

And she thought it was funny that she was making us laugh.

She has no ill effects from her 2 year old debauchery. Lighten up.

April 25 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

There was no mystery to solve. A more appropriate headline for this post would be "Pearl McKay: Adam Finley Admits He Is An Idiot."

April 22 2007 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Have a flipping sense of humor, my God!! I have kids and grandkids (and no, I never allowed them to swear), AND I FOUND IT FUNNY. Lighten up.

April 22 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Yeah... wasn't nearly as funny as everyone's making it out to be.

April 21 2007 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply