July 30, 2014

Oh no, it's TV Turnoff Week again

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 23rd 2007 8:31AM

TV TurnoffEvery April we can be sure that several things will happen: the weather will alternate between warm/sunny and cold/rainy, kids will enjoy spring vacation before going back to school for the end of the year push, and a bunch of people will decide "hey, this is the week I won't watch television!" for some reason.

Yup, it's that time of year again. Today is the start of TV Turnoff Week (they've changed their name to "The Center For Screen-Time Awareness"), that week when all the misguided souls around the country decide to shut off their televisions and read a book and eat salad. Or so they'd have you believe. I write about this every year, and a couple of years ago even debated a guy on MSNBC about it, so I won't rehash all the points here. Check out this post, where I give all the reasons why this week is such a silly idea.

In short, don't celebrate TV Turnoff Week this week. To quote Jim Halpert on The Office when Pam told him to get a life, "but who will watch my television?"

Scott Rogers

You poor stupid, fat people. You think TV is a GOOD thing!? AMericans test scores are going down and waistlines are going up. Violence just keeps going up and you don't think it's related to TV? Wake up and start living life. The sitcoms are not your friends - YOU DON'T HAVE ANY! Go out and find a life.

Let’s start with some simple numbers

How much TV do you think the average American watches?
More than 4 hours a day
That is: 2 full months per year
That is: 7 to 10 years of your life, spent staring at a box of light

TV and Education

* Only 14% of 12th-graders who watch TV six hours a day or more achieve proficiency on reading tests, whereas 52% of students who watch an hour or less do.

• Hours of TV watching that have been shown to negatively affect academic achievement: 10 or more
• Average time per week American child watches TV: Over19 hrs.
• Time per week that parents spend in conversation with their kids: 38.5
• Percentage of Day Care Centers that Use TV: 70
• Hours per year average student spends in school: 900
• Hours per year average student watches TV: 1,023
• Hours per year average student watches a screen of ANY kind: 4 hours 41 minutes.

• Percentage of 4 to 6 year olds who, when asked, would rather watch TV that spend time with their fathers: 54

TV Promotes Obesity
The proportion of overweight kids has more than doubled since 1980
Percentage of American children who were seriously overweight:
In 1964: 5
In 2003: More than 15

_ 40% of families always or often watch TV while eating dinner.

_ The proportion of overweight children has doubled since 1980 due, in part, to sedentary leisure time activities such as watching TV.

Average number of food ads seen annually by kids aged 12 and under: 12,000.

Of the 8,854 ads reviewed by the Kaiser Family Foundation in their study of the effects of advertising on children, the number of ads that were for fruits and vegetables: 0

Violence
# of violent acts seen on TV by age 18: 200,00
# of murders seen on TV by age 18: 16,000
Percentage of Hollywood Executives who believe there is a link between TV violence and real violence: 80
_ By age 18, American children will have seen an average of more than 200,000 acts of violence, including 16,000 murders on TV.10

_ Virtually all 3,500 research studies over 40 years show a link between watching media violence and committing acts of real violence.

Go ahead. Give it to your kids. Losers.

May 22 2007 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aric

Ha ha ha You guys are funny! TV as a development tool! Book shut week! hahaha I about to fall out of my chair!

...Thanks for that. Ok, if you haven't yet realized how much damage tv has done to our mental environment, then you are way behind. How much wasted time could you spend developing your skills? How much time is lost to the TV that could be spent getting to know your friends or family? How many new friends can you make while being out participating in the world?
Face the facts, advertizing has taken over television programing. Now we even have product placements in 'programing.' If a show doesn't meet the needs of an advertiser it doesn't last. Whose interests are in mind, you the citizen, or the advertiser?
Tv turn off week? How about TV turn off lifetime? Lets really "get real" and really "get a life" come on people the world is out there not in your tv box!

April 23 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jccalhoun

I'll participate in TV Turn off week just as soon as the organizers of it start "Book Shutting Week" where we go a week without reading.

April 23 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bert dansereau

TV or at least 80% of its content has become a joke that most people are now watching because they are conditioned to do so. Me included. Cable TV was originally sold to us with the promise that because we were now going to pay for our content directly there would be no further need for commercials. (most younger people will think Im joking) Check it out. TV today is mostly commercials. I guess I could live with that because I was dumb enough to believe their BS to start with but the garbage they are feeding us now as "entertainment" is almost beyond belief. TV execs say they are only reacting to demand . I dont believe that there are that many morons in America. I would love to see TV exec swear under oath (like the cigaette monkeys) that they truly do not believe that that what they provide as entertainment is not as detrimental to the mind as cigarettes are to the lungs. True, I dont have to watch it but I do have to live in a world with morons that do and suffer the consequences of thier "as seen on TV" actions.

April 23 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

I remember when I was in grade school and my TV watching would be limited. Now I watch more TV than ever, that I am in collegeuniversity, and my brain is not roted whatsover. These "Non-TV" watchers out of principle are losing out on the greatest thing mankind has ever produced: mass entertainment.

April 23 2007 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I have two-year-old twins and I don't see tv as this be evil that's going to rot their brain. If I deny them tv, they'll just want it more.

Instead I try to use it as a developmental tool.

April 23 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Turn off the TV - ya like that's going to happen!

April 23 2007 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply