October 23, 2014

24: 12:00am -- 1:00am

by Meredith O'Brien, posted Apr 24th 2007 12:19AM

Bill Buchanan on 24

(S06E19) *Warning, spoilers from the latest episode ahead.*

A dirty old man. A trigger-happy agent. A politically cut-throat spouse. Wildly inappropriate personal bickering in the workplace. Special guest star Jack Bauer.

What do those five things have in common? The 19th hour of 24.

Maybe I'm just growing more cynical, but this episode bummed me out on many fronts. Overall, it felt like filler to just inch the story forward to the final episodes. All I know is that throughout the hour, I wanted to see more Jack, much less of Chloe and Morris "Drill-Bit" O'Brian and felt nauseated by that scene with Acting President Noah Daniels. You know the one.

But, let's focus on the positives first, shall we? Hmm. . . positives . . . well, Audrey Raines is safe. Our hero Jack disobeyed the president and his CTU bosses by successfully securing Audrey's release from the Chinese by bargaining with a piece of Russian technology the Chinese wanted. Oh, and 24 fans who were hoping to see more of Nadia Yassir, the resident CTU hottie, will likely be pleased that she got a job promotion to acting CTU chief, particularly given the fact that, just a few hours ago, she was suspected of treason and was choked by Mike "The Brawler" Doyle.

One moment of pseudo-realism that I liked from this episode was seeing that Audrey was not quite right after her time in Chinese custody. She actually displayed effects of being in captivity, unlike Jack who bounced back from his many months of "brutal" torture super-fast. However I fear that Audrey's current lack of lucidity might be milked in all the wrong ways in the remaining hours of the season. This has the potential to get ugly. Fast. Let's hope it doesn't.

Another plus from the 19th hour: I could appreciate the notion that Washington pols would seek to blame the release of the now-dead terrorist Abu Fayed on a bureaucratic scapegoat. Two years ago, Fayed was detained during a border sweep, but he was later released by CTU chief Bill Buchanan because there wasn't enough evidence to keep him in custody. But because Fayed was behind the weeks of terror attacks on the United States that preceded this particular day, not to mention the nuclear bomb detonation in California that killed thousands of Americans, a Department of Justice interrogator told National Security Advisor Karen Hayes that someone's going to have to pay for setting Fayed free. It would either be Karen or her hubby. I could feasibly buy that pressure would be applied to find someone on which to pin the blame, but Karen turning on Bill so quickly -- given that she resigned just a few hours ago during a crisis in order to avoid embarrassing him -- felt forced, as did Karen firing him. Based on her character this season, I would've thought that Karen would've gone to the mat to defend him.

Now for the negatives. Jack, who had gone rogue in order to rescue Audrey, resumed his role as a guest star in this episode, lurking in the shadows. And, one irritation with Jack, other than his on-screen absence, I know that Jack planned to blow himself, Cheng and the Russian component up as soon as Audrey was safely out of the range of the sniper, so that's why he took a moment to gingerly remove her gag, caress her cheek and stroke her hair. But the display of tenderness was a bit much, particularly in light of that creepy moment in the Oval Office with Daniels and his aide Lisa Miller. I'm going to be having nightmares after that scene when Daniels said, "I have the fate of the western world and the lives of millions of Americans hanging in the balance and I just can't stop thinking about you." He kissed Miller's neck as she coyly told him his behavior was inappropriate. "Well, there's the phone," Daniels said in a throaty voice, "call the media and tell them the president's a dirty old man." After a long kiss, Daniels told her he wanted a booty call that night, so she promised to get a change of clothes.

Was this still 24? For a moment, I thought I'd accidentally changed channels to Lifetime. It reminded me of the similarly distasteful scenes with Jack and his sister-in-law Marilyn Bauer earlier this season. But, in all fairness, if I hadn't had to witness the Daniels-Miller scene, I don't think the Jack-Audrey moment would've bothered me.

Speaking of inappropriate behavior, the sniping between Chloe and Morris was over-the-top. She accused him of being jealous. Again. He retaliated with juvenile responses, telling her to "shove it." She told him not to activate nukes for terrorists. . . oops. . . apparently that was one step too far for Morris who, in the midst of a crisis, asked for an immediate job transfer. Morris can deal with literally being drilled in the shoulder and returning to work hours later, but he can't handle a sharp remark from Chloe?

And, we cannot forget Doyle, the trigger-happy agent who doggedly tracked down rogue Jack and sabotaged his plans. Because Doyle shot the Chinese sniper who had his gun aimed at Audrey while she fled to safety, he inadvertently kicked off a chain reaction. Jack had just handed Cheng the Russian component when Doyle fired his gun and chaos ensued. Three Hummers filled with Cheng's people arrived on scene, just as a CTU chopper got there, only to be shot down as Cheng escaped with the component. "I had this handled," Jack yelled to Doyle, the Bauer-wanna-be. "Why the hell didn't you listen to me?"

rating 4On the TV Squad 7-point system, I'm giving this episode a 4. (If 3.5 were available, I think that's closer to my real assessment.)

Allan

Frankly: your question about the mole?

I think it's C.C.

April 26 2007 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Could not believe my good luck. Got to post 26 with only 1 CC post. Alas, my luck ran out as it soon turned into the CC show. Does anyone still read those posts? He/she/it turns away many people from this blog.

OK, enough of that!
A question: any idea who the mole/spy is???

April 26 2007 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Mike (38), that was really, really boring.

And you took so long to say it.

April 26 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

For anyone who cares, I just have to comment on all of this.

I have been reading many of these blogs for a few months now and I really wanted my first post to be something positive and maybe even helpful, but I can’t resist any more.

Why are so many people who post here such a bunch of pretentious whiners?? 24 sucks, the reviewer sucks, the rating system sucks (if you don’t like the 1-7 system, do a little math and make it a 1-10 or 1-1000 I don’t care, just quit whining), I’ve been watching 24 since the first episode so I know better, I’m a script reader so I know better, blah, blah, blah.

Nobody cares!!!! How about posting something that may be interesting or insightful for the reader…..positive or negative

In most of the other blogs I read (Lost, Heroes, FNL, Boston Legal, HIMYM, etc) the people who post there lend insight into the show, they don’t just bag on it.

Just my 2 cents

April 26 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cinesister

CC, stop trying to seem smarter than the rest of us. You're clearly banking on the fact that if your big prediction does come off then you'll look like a visionary and everyone will lift you on their shoulders and declare you the ruler of all 24 fans (what a lame ambition). Trouble is, that's not gonna happen because we're all so bored of you that we'd probably just be disappointed with the show's writers for using such a stupid idea.

Like many of the others here I've been watching the show since the first season, which clearly you haven't, and if you want to go to bat with me about nuance and the elements of a good narrative, then I'm a professional script reader and screenwriter, so take your chances and see how far you get. I'm with everyone else here - we're not stupid or unable to appreciate nuance. And we don't appreciate being told we are week after week after frickin' week. Get a life. You obviously spend far too much time analysing and predicting 24. Maybe those efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

April 25 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugeliver

C C, I haven't missed an episode since the first one. I'm also pretty damn intelligent.

YOU are HIGH if you think that I don't "have the necessary attention span" and appreciation of "nuance" to "get" what the writers are doing.

Your ramblings on here are just sounding desperate now too. Give it up.

April 25 2007 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

C C... Even if the final episode does something to blow us away, if the writers lost us and failed to entertain us in the episodes leading up to that, it doesn't matter. The movies you mentioned didn't just consist of plot twists. They were entertaining movies that lead us down an interesting road. I am still interested in this show, but certainly not as much as I used to be. I sort of don't care if there's a big twist in the final episode that will blow my mind because you know what... it's ONE episode out of a whole season. The whole season, while it will always have its ups and downs, should be entertaining and intelligently written. You can't rely on one big plot twist to carry a season. I think the main reason 24 has gotten away with this season is because it has built a reputation and a loyal fan base. If this was the shows first season, it could have very well been canceled and the plot twist would have been stuck on the cutting room floor.

April 25 2007 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delmarc

C.C, You know I"ve argued with you for a long time by now. But Ive been trying to keep it civil and clean with you, by using facts of previous seasons of 24 to prove you wrong. But the reason why I and many other people are disappointed with yor posts, is because your hardheaded. Your not aware of the fact that your theories are wrong because your BASING THEM ON WRONG INFORMATION. INFORMATION THAT I PROVED WRONG AND COUNTLESS OTHER VIEWERS HAVE PROVED WRONG. You need to understand that your theories doesnt make sense. Not one bit. So please re-think your speculations, and try to watch more of 24. Cause you need to understand, your theories do hurt longtime and devout fans of 24, who are smarter than your average t.v viewer. And dont argue that we can't catch what the 24 writers are doing, because we know that their smarter and more intelligent than doing something stupid like having a "scam" of momentous occasions as a final twist for this season. So have your apology written by the time the seaon finale airs.

April 25 2007 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I'm sorry if I offended you guys. If the end of this season proves me wrong, and it truly sucks, I will come back and apologize to the entire board. But until then, will you PLEASE keep an open mind about this season? Until it's over? That's all I ask.

April 24 2007 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

You crossed the line, C.C. Big time.

Spare us any more predictions. They are a waste of our time.

Just wait until the final episode, then send us your apologies for all the drivel.

April 24 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply