April 17, 2014

Heroes: .07%

by Michael Canfield, posted Apr 24th 2007 8:40AM
from Sylar's Cubist Period(S01E19) It's Linderman's voice we hear over the "previously on Heroes" opening segment, rather than that of previous narrator Mohinder. That's an improvement. To tell you the truth I didn't know what to expect tonight. Heroes seems like it has been gone so long, I started worrying that its return would inevitably fail to live up to my anticipation.

I needn't have worried. I quickly found myself falling right back into the groove of the show. My favorite storyline was the Texas one. I enjoyed HRG's orchestration of the escape, using his knowledge of Matt and Ted's powers. As the Eric Roberts character will later say of HRG to the Artist Mohinder: "Glasses? Tall fella? He's no longer with the company." No doubt.

Though how funny is it when Matt suddenly realizes HRG is not some major player, but only "middle-management" without absolute knowledge of what the Company's overall agenda is, or even that Linderman is involved?

Linderman turns out to be some sort of idealist, in his own mind at least. Got to say though, that plan of bringing about world unity via nuclear disaster is a pretty tough sale. Recent history alone is filled with plenty of unprecedented catastrophes -- none of which have brought the human race to any condition approaching unity.Portrait of a Petrelli in Power Sorry, even for a super-villain this plan's dicey. Naturally, this may not be Linderman's real motivation, but only his approach at hooking Nathan. And Nathan seems to take the bait.

Early on, it does look as if Nathan's repulsed by the whole scheme. The clincher seems to be Nathan's discovery that Peter might (though it is still a mighty big might) be able to survive self-explosion. By this time Nathan has had a chance to salivate awhile over the idea of himself in the Oval Office. Nathan hears Peter's theory that Claire's presence in New York is the "save the world" part of a certain famous catch-phrase. He decides to send her to Paris until after the election anyway. Seems clear that Nathan is signing on to the Linderman plan.

It's a good thing Mohinder packed Peter's corpse into the cab and personally brought it to the Petrelli mansion, rather than, say, call 911. It's probably no surprise to viewers that Peter didn't stay dead. The real suspense here came in wondering how he would return to life and how long it would take. Because of the early reveal of Linderman's own ability, I thought Peter might actually stay dead awhile and get resurrected by the big man himself. Or maybe that Mama Petrelli's (still unrevealed) power might also be as a healer of some sort. But Claire's removal of a glass shard hidden in Peter's trademarked dark wavy locks made a nice sort of symmetry with his first meeting of cheerleader.

Future Hiro, when he contacted Peter, stopping time in a subway car early in the series, mentioned not recognizing Peter "without his scar." Peter didn't get that scar from Sylar we now know. With his Claire-ability I imagine giving him a physical scar won't be easy in any case. Maybe this indicates that the past (from Future Hiro's point-of-view) has been changed, or maybe additional scarification possibilities lie ahead in Peter's future.

Candice tries to pass herself off as Claire to HRG, but he isn't fooled. Impersonating family-members to get information is not the kind of trick you can pull over and over again on the same person, after all. Linderman and MicahActually, I think Candice and the Company are attempting to mess with Mr. Bennet's head here, and not really fool him.

Candice soon moves on to kidnapping Micah for Linderman. He politely asks Jessica for Micah first, which you'd think would spur Jessica into running away immediately with the kid, but it doesn't. Anyhow, with the way Jessica/Niki and D.L. handle their lives, maybe Micah is better off as the pawn of an evil billionaire for awhile. D.L. makes an interesting statement at one point. He says Jessica's personality is a lot more like Niki/Jessica's father than that of the dead twin, so crazy in this family goes back at least one generation.

Isaac the artist gets a real send-off. I actually started to like him for the first time right as he's dying, which is the way it seems to go on these contemporary serial dramas. Sylar appears mesmerized by his newest ability, painting the future. But if Isaac is right this is just about the end of the road for the serial-killer. Syar's own painting-style is, appropriately for the character, much more twisted than Isaac's. His own rendering of a previously-painted scene is distorted and savage.

We only get back to the future with Hiro and Ando in the final minutes, just enough time for Hiro to confuse Ando with his theory about how Isaac might still be alive. I suspect most fans were happy to see Future Hiro turn up. However, Future Hiro himself seems none too pleased with his past self. "You," he says, with unreserved contempt. Didn't expect that. I'm looking forward to see how it plays out ...6

On TV Squad's recently implemented 1-7 scale I've settled on giving this one a six. Not as awesome as, say, "Company Man" but still pretty good.

Allan

Come on everyone, this is all a scam. There is no explosion in New York. Issac isn't dead, and Sylar isn't really bad. He hasn't killed anyone. He is simply part of a huge sting operation designed to capture "the Patriots" who, driven from L.A. by Jack Bauer, have moved their nefarious schemes to the BIg Apple.

And, *spoiler alert*, don't be surprised if the season finale doesn't include an appearance by "Mr. Hawkins", newly arrived from a small mid-western town in search of the same "Patriots" responsible for so many of his recent problems.

April 26 2007 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tomind

I love this show and enjoyed this episode as well but the one question I had was how did Issac think he would be a hero if he was able to kill Sylar? Guess we shall find out soon enough. Too bad we only have four more episodes.

I am curious what the mother powers will be as well.

April 26 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LA Dave

Your comments: I really recommend people to read the comic books at
http://nbc.com/Heroes. There are comics there that deal with things
that they do not have the time to air or film. This week's comic is a
spoiler.

April 25 2007 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonburn

LC... I know he doesn't have the illusionist's powers... YET. I was speaking in future terms, meaning by the final episode (or whatever episode the explosion will actually happen) he may have her powers, and Ted's.

April 25 2007 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Sonburn-

Sylar didn't get the illusion girls power. She is still alive and kicking. They never even met. Sylar only gains new powers by killing people.

On a side note, is the deep echoing we have seen a few times from Sylar a dramatic effect that the director put in there? It sounds very similar to the way Edens voice sounded when using her power of persuasion. We all know she shot herself in the head before he had a chance to see how she "worked". I'm wondering if he got an imperfect version of her power.

I am leaning more toward the dramatic effect explanation though.

April 25 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

I love these postings! Interesting, intelligent comments. Lots of insights, lots of enthusiasm. A pleasure to read.

What a show. Look at all the buzz, look at all the comments here alone. The folks at Smallville and Supernatural (two other very decent series) would give their eye-teeth for this kind of reaction.

Where the show is going from here is anybody's guess, but I'm sure looking forward to tagging along for the ride.

April 25 2007 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

Brad, no.

In the past the entire background shimmered because she altered the entire background. Remember, she hid Simone's dead body. She made it look like a neat, clean apartment with a made bed when it was actually messy with a dead body.

More recently only she has shimmered because she has altered only herself.

She is an illusionist, visually for sure, but she can alter sound as well. Who knows what else she can do?

April 25 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonburn

My theory...

It's not Peter who blows up, but Sylar... because he has assumed the powers of the illusionist girl, and possibly radioactive man. Him assuming those powers will be the filler for the next couple episodes leading up to the explosive finale.

April 25 2007 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

I may be waaaaay off base here but there was something strange about the way Nathan talked to Claire at the end of the show.

Peter had just explained to Nathan how Claire needed to stay around. And then Nathan tells Claire that it's best of she go to Paris with Super Granny.

When he hugs her I thought to myself "Is that really Nathan or is it Candice? There was this strange look on his face.

Of course it could be, as someone mentioned, that he does plan on going along with Linderman and he needs Claire gone, but with this show anything is possible. I love it!!

April 25 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

That's a good catch Brad though maybe her ability is still that of casting illusion, but she controls how much of an area of effect based on what was needed. In the hotel she was hiding Eric Roberts and a couple of goons, for Micah or Mr. Bennet she only needed to cast the illusion of herself.

On a side note, I think the writers could have done a better job on how they had her portray Claire. I mean the girl is on the run and she would expect her father to buy her story while wearing a cheerleader uniform? I think Jeans and a Standard T-shirt would have sufficed.

April 25 2007 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply