October 2, 2014

Alec Baldwin wants to leave 30 Rock

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 25th 2007 4:41PM

30 RockRather surprising news coming from our friends over at TMZ.com: Alec Baldwin has told his bosses at NBC that he wants to be let out of his 30 Rock contract.

The news actually came during an appearance on ABC's The View (which seems to be the epicenter of all TV-related and celeb news these days). Baldwin pre-taped the interview today, which focused a lot on his recent problems with a phone call, and it will air this Friday morning.

No word on whether or not the recent controversy involving Baldwin is the reason why he wants to be let go from the show or whether he just wants to "pursue other opportunities," as they say, but the next few weeks should be interesting. Baldwin is one of the big draws on 30 Rock.

Update: NBC says no to Baldwin's request (though I guess that doesn't mean he can't leave when his contract is up).

30 Rock Fan

Say it isn't so :( Alec Baldwin IS the show...seems to be ANY show he is on.
Unless A.B. wants to leave, please Tina and Company, convince him..okay, beg him to stay:)
His personal life is just that...it's his family's business, not the world's. Whose idea was it to play the alleged phone conversation on TV ?
Best wishes, Alec, whatever the outcome is..would like to see things go the way you are happy. :) If anyone else leaves as well, you might as well call the show, "30 Stone " :-)

April 26 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugeliver

if Will Arnett takes over on 30 Rock, who will fill HIS role when they bring back Arrested Development?

They ARE bringing back Arrested Development, right? RIGHT?????

I know...I'm the only one holding on to hope...

April 26 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Heintjes

They've really beefed up the Donaghy role as the season went on...it would really screw up the show's dynamic if he left. I guess it's a good thing that Kenneth the page trained in Jack's job!

Anyone seen 30 Rock gear for sale? I've seen stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hoganstore/2312608 but nothing at the NBC store...they're missing an opportunity there.

April 26 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

I could see the following guys take over:

1) Christopher Walkin
2) Charles Grodin

April 26 2007 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

After that phone call bit, I can't stand the site of this "Rude, thoughtless little pig"!

April 26 2007 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Well might as well cancel that show; Fey and Baldwin make the show...I haven't gotten to watch it in the past month or so though. But on the whole phone call issue: so what...a lot of parents yell at their kids, I have been yelled at before, big whoop.

April 25 2007 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I love to see Will Arnett in Alec's role but I think his movie career's taking off and so that probably won't happen.

April 25 2007 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

I really would miss him, but I thought last weeks episode was great, and Alec was hardly in it. So I think I would still watch... and if they got Arnett or Rip Torn as a replacement the show would be even better.

Hopefully it's just an overreaction though, and he can be talked down.

April 25 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

NBC is advertising the upcoming finale of 30 Rock as a "finale." Not "series finale" or "season finale," just "finale." Why are they leaving it open? Hmmmm...

April 25 2007 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

UPDATE: NBC has issued a statement to TMZ that says "Alec Baldwin remains an important part of '30 Rock.' We look forward to having him continue his role in the show."

In other words, "No."