July 25, 2014

Fox cancels Drive

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 25th 2007 6:20PM
drive; nathan fillion
TV Guide is reporting that Fox has canceled Drive, the new action series starring Nathan Fillion and created by Tim Minear. Even though it's not confirmed, it's pretty obvious that this is due to dismal ratings. Drive had the old Prison Break slot, but was only getting a fraction of Prison Break's ratings. There are still two episodes left... hopefully Fox will put them up on the MySpace webpage where all the other episodes can be seen. In the meantime, repeats of House will run in that 8 pm time slot.

Sadly, this does not come as a surprise.

Brett and I were sharing reviewing duties of the shows and many of you commenters were really pulling for it to stay on the air but had little faith that it would survive. While I wasn't in love with the series, I wanted to give it some time. Hopefully someone will give an interview at some point and tell us what was going to happen!

All this makes me wonder why Fox hangs on to Tim Minear. A lot of us out there in TV Fandom know he does good stuff, but Fox continues to give him series and then quickly cancel them. I just don't understand that relationship. Minear's IMDB bio says he signed a seven-figure development deal with Fox in 2001, so I guess he's getting something out of it.

MARIA

WTF NO WAY WHY CANCELING I JUST STARTED TO LOV THIS SHOW THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL IT PLEASE!!!!!!

July 17 2007 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ifrescki

my girlfriend and i loved "drive" please give it another chance, the show really does rock!!!!!

June 04 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

i hope someone picks this series back up it was good my family stoped everthing they were doing to watch it........IT was the only series THAT COULD COMPETE WITH HEROS................50 out of 52 people i know watched it..........

i mean come on it's about cars FOX GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE please

May 15 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danielle

i'm actually kinda pissed it was cancelled. i really enjoyed the show !

May 14 2007 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Damn..Damn..Damn... I finally had a routine down for my Monday's, getting home early enough to watch Drive then Heroes and FOX pulls a move like this. I love House, but I've seen the reruns and would have perfered something fresh and exciting. "Drive" provided me with that. Needless to say I was kinda pissed they took it off the air. There were at least 4 of us watching it at my place. Still want to see what happens... PUT IT BACK ON FOX!!!!

May 14 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Digit

Well, that does it for me. This is one too many times I've been screwed over, investing my time in something that gets cancelled after only a few weeks.
I'll wait for the DVD's from now on.

May 14 2007 at 6:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Schmange

I'm so sick & tired of shows getting cancelled like this.
The exact reason why I don't even bother watching new shows anymore. Might as well leave it a few years and just get it on DVD if it survives. At least that way I haven't wasted several weeks of time getting into a series that gets trashed yet again before it's been given a chance. The worst part of it is, nobody even bothers to tell you. I set my PVR up to record Drive last week & couldn't understand why it didn't tape, or why I couldn't even find it this week.

May 14 2007 at 5:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacke

I am so sick of TV Stations canceling programs before they even let them finsish one season. I am not getting involved in any more new programs like this one and then they are cancelled before you know how they end.

They neve even gave it a chance.

May 11 2007 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Synthia

I watched Drive the very first night that it premiered and liked it from the very beginning. There is nothing on television on Sunday or Monday nights to watch. I was really glad that Drive was showing on Monday nights. I loved it so much that i rushed home from work to watch it. To me it was a great show. It was something different to watch other than game shows, comedys and reality shows. America is tired of the same old stuff. Fox did not give Drive a chance to capture a large audience. I believe the ratings would have picked up if given a chance. My entire family loved this show. I miss watching it already. I hope by some stroke of luck that all of us Drive fans get a chance to see it again. And to all of you who did not like the show. That's why you have a remote control. At least you have the option to change the channel. We don't have that option since fox has cancelled the show.

May 10 2007 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bones

I liked Drive. I liked Studio 60 a lot. I liked Four Kings. Why do networks keep taking good TV off the air and show reruns of shows that suck. I've heard people say its about ratings. How many intelligent, money-making families out there have a Nielsen box? I don't know anyone who has ever even been offered a Nielsen box. Most people I know (advertisers: we spend money) watch good, creative television with a twist. I think all networks should be prepared to move their shows to their secondary cable networks if they don't hit it out of the park. They all have these cable networks and said cable networks have crap on them. So they have to pay the cast a little less than before. Make that part of the actors' contracts, if a show doesn't get X rating we're bumping you to cable. Most actors know going into a show that it might be cancelled and they'll be out of work. This way, they have more security and the network didn't completely waste time and developing the show. Who loses here? It's obvious many viewers aren't watching shows just out of fear they'll be cancelled right away. Network execs are all idiots. Then again, so are a lot of viewers. 24 sucks now too by the way. Wasn't good since season 3.

May 10 2007 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply