April 18, 2014

Lost season three: Unanswered questions

by Erin Martell, posted Apr 25th 2007 10:37AM

Terry O'QuinnWe've reached the home stretch, and the final episodes of Lost's third season are upon us. As usual, there are tons of unanswered questions. Some will be answered, some will not. Over the last few weeks, I've come up with a list of my own Lost questions. My questions concern a wide range of things, from loose ends to major mysteries. It's only a partial list, so please feel free to include your own questions in the comments section.

Where is Danielle? Danielle disappeared after watching Alex through the bushes in "The Man From Tallahassee." Where did she go? It's possible that she followed the Others as they left the Barracks. She could also be laying low and avoiding contact with anyone, like she usually does. According to IMDb, Mira Furlan is set to appear in a few more episodes this season. It's likely that fans will get answer to this one.

What was that flash of light during the monster's last appearance? During "Left Behind," the smoke monster flashed a light on Juliet and Kate, and made a strange noise. Some fans think that the monster was taking some sort of picture of Juliet. Will the truth about the monster be revealed this year? To quote my favorite Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

What happened to Karl? Why was he caged in the first place? Why did the Others brainwash him?
Karl was last seen in the "Stranger in a Strange Land" episode. Sawyer cut him loose to go off into the jungle and pursue Alex. The reason for Karl's imprisonment in the bear cages was never given. Neither was his time in that creepy brainwashing room. I could live without these answers until Season Four, and as storylines go, the writers have bigger fish to fry. I doubt that we'll be seeing much more of him this season.

What did Eko mean by "You're next"? Just before Eko died, Locke heard him say, "You're next." Was he predicting that Locke would die, or have some other run-in with the monster? Sayid, Nikki, and Paulo were also present for Eko's death. Could Eko have meant that the entire group was in danger? Nikki and Paulo certainly didn't last too long after that statement. I can live without Nikki and Paulo, but I will be devastated if Sayid dies.

Who is Jacob? The Others have made a few references to Jacob, and he is rumored to be their leader. Jacob's name appeared in the strange brainwashing video as well. I would be thrilled if Jacob's identity was revealed in the season finale, but I'm guessing that we will only get a few clues about Jacob to hold us over until next season.

What is the "Magic Box"? Ben explained in the island's powers in terms that Locke could understand, likening them to a box. If you desire something, it will apparently show up "in the box." Shortly after telling Locke this, Ben revealed that Anthony Cooper was a prisoner of the Others. How does this power work? Can anyone take advantage of it, or do you need to have a special connection with the island?

And, finally, a question left over from Season Two: Where did Michael and Walt end up? I know that there's no chance of getting an answer anytime soon, because Harold Perrineau is no longer on Lost. Still, Michael and Walt were such a large part of the show that it would be a shame for them to disappear forever.

What questions do you have going into the last month of Lost? What could you live without knowing?

Bill Sellers

So now we're flashing forward in time to the characters being back stateside? What was up with this meeting between a suicidal, drug dazed Jack, and Kate, who obviously wanted nothing to do with him. How far in the future is this? Makes me wonder if the end of the series is coming up sooner than we think. As far as who's in the coffin, my best guess is Juliette.

May 24 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Sellers

Not only are we having flashbacks ,but now flash forwards to post-rescue life? What was with this stateside meeting between a drug dazed Jack and Kate? Why did she not want to meet him, and who was in that coffin. My best guess is that it's Juliette.

May 24 2007 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandy

Jacob might be the black smoke.
I think Locke is going to sabotage any rescue attempts by messing around with the controls that kept the island hidden.
And what about the fact that the parachute girl (Naomi?) said that the plane was found and that there were no survivors?

May 24 2007 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
walker

Something that really puzzles me is the men in the "ice hut". I've looked at it over and over and still believe the man that makes the call to Penny is played by Matthew Fox (Jack). It definitely looks like him with the beard. You can see the scene in the Answers episode that aired before the 2 hour finale. If it wasn't going to have any significance they could have hired any no-name actor to play the part not someone who looked like Jack. I'd love to hear your comments.

May 24 2007 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Man, not friend or family, he thought kate would go to the funeral, begins with J

.... who on the island's name was JAMES?

May 24 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ray

^^ it's actually a news of a body found in downtown Los Angeles. That someone's name starts with a "J" and it is a man as indicated in the newspaper clipping.

May 24 2007 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelsey

What obituary was Jack reading on the plane

May 24 2007 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charliefan

I think it's entirely possible Locke could be one of the deaths this season. People on this island seem to die after they have resolved some issue and if Anthony Cooper dies (which seems likely to be one of the other 5 deaths) then Locke's biggest life issue would be resolved. I think it's also highly likely Rousseau could be another casualty since they haven't bothered to give her any flashbacks thus far and it would be a highly emotional moment for her to die just as she's reunited with Alex. I'm really hoping the whole "Charlie's gonna die" thing is a smokescreen and he lives long enough to finally have a real relationship with Claire.

Could the skeleton couple in the cave be Desmond and Penny? I have no idea how that would come to be but I don't understand much that goes on on the island so it makes as much sense as anything!

May 02 2007 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I've been catching up on old episodes and realized a couple interesting things:

1) Walt seems to maybe have a similar power to Desmond. He touches Locke's arm and warns him about the hatch. He tells his dad they have to take the raft, etc. Also, on the topic of Desmond, when he first meets Jack in the arena Jack tells him he was wrong about his future wife. Suddenly, and assuredly, Desmond says 'what if you did fix her?'. Did he see this? Now, humor me. What if, since Desmond usually only sees deaths, he saw her death far in the future and therefore knew she didn't die from the surgery (or at least was up walking around). Could that mean we'd see Mrs. Shepard again? Probably not, but a fun tangent.

2) wouldn't it be sweet victory for both Locke and Sawyer if Locke contracts Sawyer to kill Anthony Cooper and he (Cooper) turns out to be the original Sawyer? What are the changes of this?

Here's my biggest question: what's the deal with the crystals that Jack found in season 1 on the bodies of the couple in the caves and the appearance of those same crystals on Desmond's desk in a flashback to his and Penny's apartment? The official Lost Podcast pointed out that those crystals might prove to fans they've known how they were ending the show from the beginning.

April 29 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply