July 31, 2014

Rosie O'Donnell leaving The View

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 25th 2007 11:40AM
Rosie O'DonnellAh, Rosie... we hardly had a chance to say hello, and now you're saying goodbye.

Actually, given what we've heard over the last few months, this isn't a big surprise: According to the AP, Rosie O'Donnell will leave The View in June. She was unable to come to a contract with ABC, saying in a statement that "My needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me."

Of course, Rosie has been the best and worst thing to happen to The View since she started there last year. Her controversial presence raised the show's ratings. But producer and star Barbara Walters has had to support her host through many a verbal battle, including dust-ups with Donald Trump, Rupert Murdoch, and Clay Aiken. There's been speculation that Rosie is going to go back to hosting her own show, and the production company for her old talk show reportedly wants her back. But, for now, O'Donnell hasn't announced what her next move will be.

[thanks to MrsEldubya for the tip.]

RON DITZEL

i AM GLAD ROSIE IS LEAVING AND DO NOT THINK SHE
WAS A GOOD CHOICE INITIALLY. I AM SICK OF HEARING
SHE IS GAY AND SICK OF HEARING HER HURTFUL COMMENTS MADE TO OTHER PEOPLE. SHE IS NOT A
PROFESSIONAL PERSON IN ANY WAY AND THE SHOW
WILL BE MUCH BETTER WITHOUT HER.

May 24 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CombatEwok

I like The View and I like Rosie. Babs and Elizabeth keep things so politically correct that it is nauseating. Joy speaks her mind more now which is great but can't control any type of combative situation. The View on May 23 was explosive and the pretend friendly comments were just that, pretend. Why can't Elizabeth accept other people's points-at all? It is all or nothing with her which is a sad way to live. All the name-calling that everyone is doing on the comment boards is childish, I hope you all feel better about yourselves now that you have trashed someone else.

May 24 2007 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher

lynn powlistha, Rosie has always said, she supports the troops not that war. There IS a difference. I am the same way.

Basically the war and the motives behind it by the people in charge are something I do NOT agree with BUT I pray for the success of the soldiers and their safety. They are the ones who put their lives on the line. I have nothing but respect for them. Rosie says these EXACT same things.......all the time actually, so please recall the facts before you make such statements.

May 22 2007 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynn powlistha

I am mortified that Rosie would actually have the gall to say anything about our military. She has been given her freedom and the right to live as she chooses and adopt children in our wonderful FREE country
This has been fought for and blood shed for the rights she has. I truly wish I was her Mother for 5 minutes,she would learn to regret saying such crap

May 19 2007 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher

Ok I never normally respond to these things. I feel like it invokes way too much negativity, and well...the bitching is kinda annoying...

But some of these comments are too much to pass up, ok let's break it down one by one...

Crambam...the Imus Rosie Comparison....interesting. Well I don't see how someone who called young girls "nappy headed ho's " can be compared with someone who merely did a (granted inappropriate) vocal imitation of Asian Americans. Your analogy is a little off balance and is merely driven by a dislike for Rosie.
Doug, sounds like you have a problem with her being a liberal woman with an opinion. You know that some people in this world are conservative and some are liberal right? Some are smart conservatives and liberals and others are idiots. But you used liberal as a bit of an insult. Sounds a little nutty to me Dougy.....
Joanna, I can't begin to tell you how much your "rant", made me laugh out loud. I think its incredibly admirable that you feel so strongly about abortion, I don't agree with it either. However you went a little overboard sweety. Rosie is not the ONLY person on television who is pro choice, and that is no reason to hate someone. I guarantee if you went to anyone and said what you said, nevermind someone with as much money and power as O'Donnell, they would laugh out loud. Keep your views. Don't hate or go on little tangents because of them. Rosie has a right to believe what she wants about a topic that naturally is very up in the air.
Skilsnme, I watched Rosie be incredibly reserved when it came to Views that directly opposed her own (I.E. Elizabeth) for the first few months. Only after that did she start to directly clash. However the growth of these arguments are directly synonymous with the growth of the problems in our country. The more heated THEY got, the more heated the arguments between O'Donnell and Hasselbeck became. And as this message board is proving, LOTS of people have trouble dealing with the views of others when they directly conflict with their own.
Suzanne, being gay...NOT a life style
Hugeliver, alot of people on this board have a problem with Rosie because alot of people come onto message boards to attack. They of course mask this with the phrase "speak their mind".

Alright now, Rosie leaving. Hey I didn't always agree with her, but I didn't exactly hear anything new from her than I heard from Joe Schmoe up the street. The World Trade Center thing being a Government Conspiracy?? Ummmmmmmm I've been hearing people with those theories for yeeeeeears people. Ever SINCE 9/11. Why is it we feel Rosie stated a "revolutionary theory". She was just the first person to mention it on air. Hey I don't know if I agree that its a conspiracy. Probably not. However its not the first I HEARD of it.

Basically shes an INSANELY rich lady, who can entertain, and just has some strong extreme opinions. (Mocks) Oh no, lets get a firing squad. Jeez. This is supposed to be America. We all have an opinion on something.....

May 13 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Hajjar

Rosie I'm definitley not the only one who is going to miss you on the View!!!!!!!!!!! It was like someone hit me in the gut when I heard the news. Luckily I DVR the View every morning and I got to hear your response day after day so I know it was strictly your decision. The one thing I'd like to pass on to you is don't give your energy away to Donald. If you keep doing it the cycle of energy between the two of you will continue, and I have a good feeling you'd like to stop that. I'm a school teacher and I do many empowerment days in my classrooms. The example I often use is to consider yourself to be a hundred watt light bulb. If you give your time and energy away to someone you don't like; it's like wrapping up your energy in a gift wrapped package and giving it to them for free. Now you become a 75 or a 40 or even a 15 watt light bulb. As hard as it may seem, send him Love and Light. Remember what you have said on the View lately, everyone is a valuable soul. We are all in this game of being a human being, no one is any better or any worse than another, some are just living more consciously than others. He's going to have an interesting life review when he dies. Love yourself enough to send him good thoughts so the cycle of venom can be stopped. You've come a long way spiritually since your last TV show! The View won't be the same without you!!!!!!!!!! Love and Light, Kathy

May 06 2007 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

I never liked of Rosie. I think she's a loud mouth,obnoxious blob of hot air. She always took over every conversation on The View and I think it was a bad move to even consider her for that show. She thinks she can say whatever she wants about anyone else and they shouldn't be upset, but don't ever make a comment on her lifestyle or about her cause then you are stereotyping!! Good Riddens Rosie!! We won't miss you!! Go home to your wife and kids and stay there!!

April 25 2007 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

Will the view be the better or worse without Rosie?

I work for a social polling website, Buzzdash.com and they're taking a vote on whether or not losing Rosie and her drama will be good for the show. Cast your votes here:

April 25 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

If Rumors hold true that Couric's days are numbered on the CBS Nightly News, she could take Rosie's spot on The View. Rosie can take her spot on CBS News and Merideth Viera can stay put on the Today Show. If ratings slump on any of them they can do a ring around the Rosie (pun intended) and swap shows. ;P

April 25 2007 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I really wasn't a watcher of The View prior to Rosie being on it; I thought it was pretty boring! With Rosie, I tuned in every day just to watch the differing views of the ladies and their "debates" (even about Sanjaya's hair!!) ... gave my day a little excitement!!! Doubt I'll be inspired to watch after she's gone.

April 25 2007 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply