October 26, 2014

The ick factor: 24's awkward romantic moments

by Meredith O'Brien, posted Apr 25th 2007 8:01PM

Milo and Nadia in 24*Warning, spoilers from this week's episode.*

This week's scene with 24's Acting President Noah Daniels pawing and kissing his aide Lisa Miller in the Oval Office, was, in a word, creepy. And when I thought about this season's multitude of, shall we say, unusual romantic/couple scenes -- of which there's been an abundance by 24 standards -- there was no question that the Daniels-Miller necking topped my list of the most uncomfortable amorous moments the season.

Other awkward contenders:

Jack and Marilyn: Marilyn Bauer kissed her brother-in-law Jack Bauer just hours after she became a widow (he didn't kiss her back), and mere moments before she told him that the love of his life was supposedly dead.

Jack and Marilyn II: They had a strange, flirty scene in hour 10 when it seemed as though Jack was either trying to avoid or deliberately trying to peek at Marilyn in her black camisole as she donned a bullet-proof vest . . . a vest, by the way, that was apparently confusing, so Jack had to help her fasten the Velcro belts over her silky undergarment.

Chloe and Morris: The relationship between these two divorced CTU staffers has been fraught with jealousy and weirdness all season. However their scene in hour 10 -- when Chloe gave Morris a deep kiss to "check" if he'd been drinking -- was a shudder-inducing one.

Nadia and Milo: In the 15th hour, these two CTU analysts passionately locked lips in a darkened CTU hallway while Chloe leered at them through a glass divider. Given that there had been romantic tension between Chloe, her ex-husband Morris and her ex-flame Milo, this development possessed its own brand of oddness.

C C

Metz-totally agree. I've never understood Eric Balfour's appeal either. I think the only role he's ever stood out in was as Claire's nutjob boyfriend on Six Feet Under. And that character was not likeable at all. In fact, I had seen the first season of 24 before I started watching SFU, and I didn't recall Balfour at all. Then, when I went back and watched the first season of 24 over again, I went "Oh, my goodness, it's Claire's nutjob boyfriend!"

April 26 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Milo? Eye Candy? Sorry but he's one ugly looking dude...Every time I see him on screen I wonder how he ever got cast in a single role.

April 26 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

The producers didn't intend to have much of a plotline for Milo this year. He was, in a way, supposed to be eye candy.

April 26 2007 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

"I started watching 24 this season. The only reason I watch is because Eric Balfour has joined the cast."

Is this a late April Fool's comment? Good acting? Really?

The Milo scenes are the worst.

April 26 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I quit watching 24 a long time ago, but... Lisa Miller? Won't Johnny Johnson be upset?

April 25 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MagmaRose

I started watching 24 this season. The only reason I watch is because Eric Balfour has joined the cast. I have been aware of him for a few years through his musical endeavours. As far as his acting career, I watched him on "Conviction" - NBC last year.

None of the couples on this show have any chemistry. I don't think it's the actors. I truly believe the stories the writers have come up with leave them with gaps in the timeline/storyline to fill. America loves sex and romance so the writers just use these 'love triangles/relationships' to fill those gaps. These 'trysts' are awkward and inappropriately placed within the show. They do not feel 'real' or make us, the viewer, feel they are a necessary part of the storyline.

Personally, I think they hired Eric B. purely for his physical attributes. He can act quite well from what I've seen. However, on 24, they haven't given him anything to work with. On this show he's nothing more than eye candy.

I find 24 tedious and disappointing. Despite that, I will continue to watch - but only because I keep hoping Eric B.'s character will develop more of a storyline. Something that reflects his abilities and talents rather than his gorgeous eyes and thick, wavy hair.

April 25 2007 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Shickles

Yeah... that didn't work for me either..

April 25 2007 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

"Ick" is right. None of these couples have ANY chemistry.
I hope I'm correct that this season is a total lie, and all these romantic "pairings" are a charade. Otherwise, we're in big trouble.

April 25 2007 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply