July 23, 2014

4 from 24: More on hour 19

by Meredith O'Brien, posted Apr 27th 2007 2:19PM

Karen Hayes on 24*Warning, spoilers from this week's episode.*

Will the acting president actually get to rendezvous with his aide or will their booty call be sidetracked by, I don't know, national security issues? Will Audrey Raines snap out of her shell-shocked, confused state? Will our boy Jack Bauer retrieve that Russian circuit board?

Maybe we'll find out in the 20th hour. Maybe we won't. But first we need to give one more shout-out to four interesting moments from hour 19:

Quote of note: "I have the fate of the western world and the lives of millions of Americans hanging in the balance, and I just can't stop thinking about you," Acting President Noah Daniels said lustfully to his aide Lisa Miller. This was easily one of the cheesiest and creepiest lines ever uttered on 24.

Moment of tension between White House staffers: National Security Advisor Karen Hayes debated Tom Lennox about whether she should fire her husband, CTU Chief Bill Buchanan in order to secure a scapegoat for the whole terrorist mess. "That's Bill's signature on Fayed's release document," said Lennox, the chief of staff Lennox, noting that Buchanan released terrorist Abu Fayed two years ago after determining that there was insufficient evidence to detain him. "It's over for Bill. It's not for you." And Karen, who gave this some "serious" thought for less than an hour, decided to sacrifice her husband's career.

Moment of tension between CTU staffers: The O'Brians. The bickering. The invocation of the middle school directive to "shove it."

ACLU nightmare moment of the week: I have to go with the chaos that ensued near the end of the hour when Mike "The Brawler" Doyle shot the Chinese sniper who had his weapon aimed at Audrey as she fled,while Jack was handing the Russian circuit board to Cheng. After Doyle shot the sniper, it was bedlam. Jack was shot. Some of Cheng's people were wounded. A CTU chopper was shot down. And the bad guys got away. Certainly something in that scene had to outrage our ACLU friends.

C C

Hi Allan-*giggles*

April 28 2007 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

I can't believe how absolutely BORING some of these postings have become!

Meredith, you are wonderful, but even you must be growing tired of encouraging these monotonous musings (Hi..cc.).

The sooner this train wreck of a season is over, the better.

April 28 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Kuja's spoilers for the last two episodes are a hoax as well. He's been reliable in the past, but this time the producers made sure he put out false spoilers. I think SOME of what he's saying is true, but overall it's baloney. I've been over on the 24 Fox board, and already a few people are starting to doubt the spoilers. Kuja just posted script "revisions" for those episodes that make absolutely no sense at all.

Also, I've come across a few independent posters on the net who are claiming that certain characters are going to be back in the last few episodes-completely contradicting Kuja's "spoilers".

I know I'm not going to be right on all the details I've posted about what's really going on. But I think I'm in the ballpark. This is 24-there's ALWAYS a major twist that changes everything.

April 28 2007 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

This is still one of the best hours on TV.

BC what are you talking about?

April 28 2007 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cinesister

Viv - when Jack gets hold of Cheng he's gonna make what he did to Fayed look like dinner and a movie. :) I have every faith in that lol

April 28 2007 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

If this whole season has been a hoax, then who is in on it? Why does everyone act the part for the whole season, even when alone or with one other person? Also, a guy named Kuja has most of the spoilers for the rest of the season and it doesn't look too good for your theory. I guess when it's disproven, you'll either give us an 'I was wrong' or the infinitely more likely 'I was just kidding'.

April 27 2007 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Don't even worry about the circuit board. YOu know Mr. Bauer will get it back. Who cares whenever he gets it back. I just wanted him torture the hell out of Cheng.

April 27 2007 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

B.C.- I'm honored. A satire of my posts! Frankly did a funny take-off as well a few weeks ago.

I apologize if I've gone overboard trying to convince people of my theories. This season IS a hoax. Things are NOT what they appear to be. But I am starting to worry exactly how the writers are going to explain everything that has happened this year in the remaining five hours.

Actually, the writers' intention this season was to fool their audience into believing they'd "lost it". And it has worked beautifully. The fans think the show has "jumped the shark", and that the writers are lazy and unimaginative. The critics have penned their disappointment in column after column about this season's "collapse".

The 24 writers are too good. They wouldn't be this stupid. They've got an ace up their sleeve.

I just hope the ace is good enough to push this season over the top.

April 27 2007 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B.C.

Don't worry! The relationship between the acting president and the aide is only an illusion. The writers will let us in on the whole scam in the last five minuted of the day.

You actually believed Audry's act? She is in on the whole fake setup to try and draw out the "patriots." This whole season is about this plan; too bad the fans don't have the intelligence like I have to see this comming.

I'm telling you: PAY ATTENTION to the show!

April 27 2007 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply