October 24, 2014

Scrubs: My Turf War

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 27th 2007 12:21AM
Scrubs cast(S06E18) In the promo they ran right before 9:00, NBC followed up its promotion of 30 Rock by saying that this was the first of the "final four episodes of Scrubs."

Whaaaaat? Do they mean of the season or ever? Are they trying to tell us something in code that we'll find out in the next couple of weeks? All the talk from Bill Lawrence on down had indicated that there would be a seventh season of the show, either on NBC or their production company's corporate cousin, ABC.

But, can I tell you something? I'm not sure if a seventh season of Scrubs is such a good idea. Don't worry. This'll just be between us.

Why am I so ambivalent? Season six has been Scrubs' most inconsistent, with the highs of episodes like "My Musical" and "My Long Goodbye" tempered by some really uncomfortable episodes, especially early in the season. In the case of tonight's episode, the inconsistencies came within the body of the show; there were some really funny moments and some really... uh... let's just say they were less than funny.

Like I said last week, the episode got some felicity, or rather, Felicity: Keri Russell, looking better than she ever did for J.J. Abrams, played Elliot's sorority sister Melody who somehow, as we found out during "Turk's Booty Breakdown," managed to make a living reviewing hotels for Zagat's (I thought they "solicited" outside "reviews" from "readers"). The best part about the Breakdown? How Turk highlights her feet, "if you're into that kind of thing," which we know he is.

Oh, and when I went to college we used to have a name for sorority sisters who would giggle and scream at such a high octave that they created a vortex similar to what J.D. imagined. I can't say that name here, but I'll just tell you that it wasn't pleasant. But, then again, neither was that freakin' noise those girls created. It's too bad I didn't have a baby picture to show them.

We don't know much about Melody beyond the fact that she's still a party girl that likes to "mack" guys at bars and climb on people's backs a la Danni Sullivan. I kind of felt bad for "Grill Face," but it seems like something that would have happened to the insecure Elliot (otherwise known as "Jengi") in college. Where the unfunny started to happen was when J.D. told Melody that Elliot thought it was weird that Molly stayed the same all these years, without adding that she actually liked that part of her. When he got found out, the extended gag where J.D. couldn't bring himself to pay $100 for an appletini just to get himself out from under the glare of Elliot and Melody played like an overly-long Family Guy joke.

And then we have the quick tie-up where J.D. feels he and Elliot are drifting apart, then Keith surprisingly proposing to Elliot. It all moved a little too fast for me, though I was happy to see someone move to a different step in their lives (especially Elliot, who seemed to be stuck for quite a while). If they had dispensed with the endless appletini gag, they could have developed that story a bit more.

On to the B story... For a guy who feels he's superior to everyone else, Cox sure gets his comeuppance often, doesn't he? I just think the elaborateness of this one was especially delicious. Didn't think Turk had such deviousness in him... I mean, for crissakes, he even got Kelso involved in the scam. But here's my question: Why did Lloyd become this week's designated hypochondriac? Was Richard Kind -- who played super-chondriac Harvey Korman -- not available? When they turfed poor Lloyd back and forth, it's too bad they didn't write down fake problems like "Count Choculitis," like we saw on The Office. I guess that wouldn't have been ethically feasible...

Oh, and the Janitor haunts pediatrics. On rollerblades. Just to keep the place clean. It really looked like they just gave Neil Flynn something to do in this episode instead of giving him a really good gag. Even seeing a sheet-clad Janitor roll around while J.D. and Elliot were talking didn't do it for me, and those "two things going on at once" scenes are usually pretty funny.

rating4So, this episode was the second one in a row that was light on "lessons," which was good after the heaviness of the Laverne-dying episodes. But only half the jokes hit for me; usually a good episode of Scrubs has a 75-80% hit rate. So because the show was only half good, I will go half-way up our 1-7 scale and give this one a 4. Hope some of the "final three" are better.

Justin

Lease? Leash? Freud? Dig it!

April 29 2007 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

It seems to me that ever since the press coverage concerning Zach Braff leaving/not leaving the show there's been a lot more anxiety in the episodes, especially with the JD character. Anxiety is a familiar territory for Braff, look no further than Garden State and The Last Kiss (both of which I love, let the record show). That's not JD though. B Lawrence better put a lease on him and not let Braff ruin one of the great sitcom characters by applying too much of his real-life artistic style.

April 29 2007 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

A seventh season for Scrubs? Oh, goody. Now, Scrubs can overtake the last two seasons of Friends for worst sit-com. This show should have said goodbye after the fifth season.

The show skipped past Ally McBeal in season 5 and is neck and neck with Arli$$ this season. Don't slow down because you are gaining on Friends.

With a seventh season, we welcome JD, Turk and the rest of the gang to the Crap Party. Rachel is serving cookies. Ross will take your coats.

What ever Bill Lawrence wanted to say, he has said it. This show has stuck around one season too long. Don't make it two. Bill Lawrence, you will ruin this sitcom for all your fans if you bring it back for a seventh. Always leave them wanting more.

April 29 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaiser1778

I am, unfortunately, sick of this season all together. It has been over the top and we've lost the connections with each character previously established as the show becomes more ostentatious and obixious. Please bring back the old Scrubs!

April 28 2007 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
summer

On Zach Braff's most recent myspace blog he said that they still don't know if they're a-go for next season, even though he is signed on for it. he said that he hopes so, otherwise there's a potential for disappointment when this season ends with a big cliffhanger.

April 27 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I thought last night's episode was one of the best of the season--it had an old feel to it that I liked. And it's always nice to see someone get one over on Cox.

My one complaint is Keith. I don't like him--never have and never will. Him proposing to Elliott is Scrubs' way of jumping the shark. I don't want Elliott with JD, et. al., but Keith has had but one funny line in all his time on Scrubs. He just doesn't mesh (actor and character) with the rest of the cast.

April 27 2007 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

The appletini bit was horrible. Total filler, that took up way too much time on a horrible gag.

I agree that the JD/Elliot thing is done. Don't put them back together. The character of Elliot has grown so much in the past 2 seasons that bring her back with JD wouldn't work for me. Let's not forget that JD has a baby on the way that he doesn't know about....

April 27 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I thought that this was a great episode, very much "old school" scrubs style. I think the bit with the appletini ran long (very much like Family Guy), but it was still pretty funny. The creator has said that scrubs will definitely have a seventh season,http://tv.ign.com/articles/782/782639p1.html, he is just not sure on which network it will be on next year as ABC owns the show.

April 27 2007 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Though I actually did like the $100 appletini gag, J.D. being that mean to Elliot just because he's jealous kinda did derail the episode for me. Keri Russell did look great though.

April 27 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

I have read the writers are in disagreement as to having Eliot and JD get together yet again and possibly for the long term. Let's be real about this, these two are great friends and terrible lovers. Let them be friends and let Eliot get on for the life she wants with a man who loves her, Keith. If the writers are pressed for story lines, why not have JD finally come out once and for all. He is gayer than Jack on Will and Grace.
Failing that, I think he should fall in love with a woman and for the time of the romance, we should never see her face. Later, we learn she has alopecia and the facial reveal at the end would show us a very sexy woman with Turk's face and bald head.

April 27 2007 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply