September 22, 2014

Remember when FOX used to give shows a chance?

by Paul Goebel, posted May 1st 2007 1:56PM

Nathan Fillion at the precise moment he learned 'Drive' was canceled.I will never forget being in high school and hearing the news that a new network would soon be premiering. It was only going to be on a couple nights a week, but instead of airing reruns and crappy local shows, it would air all new programs; it was unprecedented.

That network was called FOX, and while many of the programs were of no interest to me, I was really impressed at how they followed through with their promises. Specifically, cutting edge programming and big budgets. I watched Al & Peg Bundy say things that my parents didn't want me to hear. I watched George C. Scott in the only sitcom he ever starred in. Most importantly, I was witness to the phenomenon that became The Simpsons.

As the years went on, shows came and went, but one thing always stayed the same. Even when a show wasn't doing well, FOX kept airing it if they knew people were watching. The folks at FOX liked to spend money on their shows and we, the viewers, got to see all that money on our TV screens.

Well, times have changed. It seems that along with the other three networks, FOX has decided that unless a show gets big ratings right away, it's not worth their time or money. I suppose I should have seen the signs when they canceled Action, one of the few funny sitcoms of that season, but I always justified every cancellation. "Maybe Action was too edgy. Maybe Firefly was too good for TV. Maybe I was the only one who liked Vanished." Sadly, I can no longer make excuses for FOX

Drive was the most exciting, interesting and well acted show I have seen on TV in a long time. Amid the sea of forensic and courtroom dramas and reality shows, I was actually looking forward to Drive in a way I haven't since the first season of The X-Files.

I only hope that true TV lovers like myself will one day take their YouTube-ified web presence and transfer it over to the broadcast networks and bring greatness back to the small screen. It's up to you, guys.

The Snappy Sneezer

Drive was a great show, while it reminded me of Heroes and Lost in the modern era, it also harkened back to some of the action shows of the early 80s, something sorely missing from TV these days. Drive was a hybrid and could have been a great success for Fox had they gone along for the full ride.

I morn Herman's Head, VR5, Strange Luck, and Flying Blind.

July 24 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gs78

It is getting to the point where all I am going to watch on TV are Sports, Cartoons and Syndicated Reruns of Shows that were once on Network TV! I agree that many shows aren't given a chance by all the networks, including FOX!

In addition, the family sitcom is almost extinct , thanks mostly to reality based television! Where are shows like Cosby or Roseanne, Home Improvement or Married With Children in today's TV landscape! Even a few seasons back, you had shows like Raymond, Yes, Dear, King of Queens and Still Standing on CBS Monday Nights. Today, you are lucky to find a few decent sitcoms to watch!

There is something wrong when Julia Louis-Dreyfus gets nominated for an Emmy, but her show can only muster a mid season spot on CBS! And don't even get me going about "Arrested Development" That was an awesome show that should still be on the air!

July 24 2007 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I am saddened by the fact that my all time favorite show ever on Fox, which was cancelled, was not mentioned in any of the previous post. I must conclude that it was done so because I was the only one watching. Kindred: The Embraced, IMO it was miles above Buffy, with more depth and potential. I never understood why the show was cancelled; the main lead Julian Luna played by Mark Frankel, died in a motorcycle accident, or was it a car? I can’t quite remember, even though he was pivotal, the writers seemed competent enough to over come that set back and write it into the script.
When it comes to Fox shows today being cancelled I rarely if ever watch a show when it first starts due to the reasons stated here, Firefly case in point, I was watching the reruns , before I ever knew the show was cancelled. I saw the advertisement for the Movie 2 weeks after I started watching the show; I remember thinking why is a movie out in theaters for a show that is still in production? DOOH.
Ok the ratings, do any of you know anyone who is polled or has a Neilson box on their set or anyone who is part of the Diary set? I do not now nor have I ever even met anyone who to my knowledge was. No this is not a staple question upon meeting someone; it just seems strange to me that I never have known of any. I did some reading on the rating system , and to me in my limited view it appears to be simple with the box , but the diary is a whole different ball of BS. It is an actual written diary, the whole family gets one and I don’t know about you guys but if my dad said write Hee-Haw in this spot and Lawrence Welk in this one and Bill Dance Outdoors here, I would have complied weather I watched them or not. (Dad loved fishing, orchestra music and Buck Owens) So if someone likes a show they watch it, but let’s say they were getting ice cream and missed the show, but because they like it they write it in the spot. Who’s to know? I think a new system needs to be in place, If you like a show call this number , or email here, and depending on the actual people who want to respond the show lives or dies.
I’m sorry just rambling
Oh about shows coming back after a hiatus, did anyone see that the Bionic woman was returning after 30 years WOW? Talk about reviving the Dead.

May 23 2007 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angelcake

One word- REUNION. But I figured I'd give Fox another chance with Drive. Well that was the final nail in the Fox coffin for me.

I liked Drive. Thought it was interesting. Different. I would've loved to have at least seen how it would've all played out. But they cancel after 4 episodes. How do they even expect to get an audience?

They should've saved Drive for the summer when nothing else is really on but reruns and I'm sure it would've been worth it to them. Like with the launch of the O.C. and years ago with Melrose and the summer 90210 eps. Instead they start it at a really weird time in the year. I've never heard of a serial starting in April.

They really need to get their act together. Or the companies that make these shows should just stream them online without a network and depend on online advertising and dvd sales to fund them.

Sure there are other networks that cancel shows. But Fox is just abusing it. Like House reruns are bringing in big ratings?

I just hope that CW doesn't cancel Veronica Mars. I'll be done with them too.

May 02 2007 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

When Fox first came out, it became a staple in our house. But now I rarely watch it. Drive, a mid-season replacement, never got a chance. Lucky they weren't that unsupported of their shows a few years ago or we'd never have gotten X-Files.

May 02 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I loved Drive cause it was a GOOD show imo, and to people saying that it was trash, they only aired 4 episodes, they didn't even give it time enough to develop that much.

I think this is the last straw for me with FOX after 24, The Simpsons, and Family Guy (new episodes every new moon) seasons end, I'm done with them.

May 02 2007 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Drive was not good. I called this last week, after watching the last episode.

May 02 2007 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I'm sorry guys but I get a little annoyed with people who say that Arrested Development was a show "cut down in its prime." I'm sorry but with the ratings it got, if Arrested Development had been on any network except Fox it probably wouldn't have made 13 weeks and certainly wouldn't have gotten a second season.

May 02 2007 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keeba

I wasn't that impressed with THE INSIDE, which just looked like another PROFILER clone, only with a fashion model lead. The Tim Minear show that I really mourn is WONDERFALLS, a brilliant offbeat comedy that I knew was doomed the first time I saw it.

WONDERFALLS had the bad fortune of finally getting on the air around the same time as the thematically similar but otherwise completely different JOAN OF ARCADIA. JOAN took off, WONDERFALLS was yanked after a few episodes.

May 01 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

The problem with Fox is that they don't use American Idol to promote new series -- House can stand on its own -- they should use that hour to promote another series -- like the superb JUSTICE or even Standoff. But they stupidly don't use that great lead in that shows like Drive could have used -- how can you expect viewers to start new series if there is a possibility it won't continue.

May 01 2007 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply