July 28, 2014

Tom Poston dead at 85

by Bob Sassone, posted May 1st 2007 6:15PM

Tom PostonTom Poston, one of the classic veterans of TV comedy, died earlier today at his home in Los Angeles. He appeared on The Steve Allen Show in the 1950s and Newhart in the 1980s.

Poston played handyman George Utley on Newhart, and was also a regular on another Bob Newhart series, Bob. And to keep the connection to Newhart going, he played Cliff "The Peeper" Murdock on The Bob Newhart Show in the 70s. Poston also appeared on Grace Under Fire, Mork & Mindy, The Simpsons, Will & Grace, Home Improvement, Murphy Brown, Get Smart, Coach, The Love Boat, Studio One, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Just Shoot Me, That 70s Show, and dozens of other shows over the years.

Poston was married to actress Suzanne Pleshette, who played Newhart's wife Emily on The Bob Newhart Show.

Jack Yan

He just never seemed that old. Tom had this childishness about him that made all his characters endearing. Go well, Tom.

June 03 2007 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicky

I had never heard of the movie Cold Turkey, but knowing Tom Poston was in it I will definitely look for it. He was an outstanding actor, I always thought he should have been offered a main character roll somewhere. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

May 02 2007 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmb

Tom, I will miss your quirky characters--you are one of a kind. Heaven was made for people like you. And, lets not wait until great actors are no longer with us to say something positive about them.... Suzanne Pleshette, what a phenemonal actor you are--you bring a touch of class to every performance. God bless you and keep you.

May 01 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Caldwell

Thanks for the posting. I had not heard of Tom's passing tell reading your story. I remember him on the Steve Allen show. Great comic. www.dougcaldwell.net

May 01 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

I remember Tom fondly as Art Hipke, the dentist, jewler, agent in a recurring role on Coach.

May 01 2007 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

RIP, Tom Poston. Your humor and gentleness will be missed.

May 01 2007 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Kimble

He was a great game show player and panelist -- in fact he was on the same panel with Kitty Carlisle for many years on the Bud Collyer '50s-60s "To Tell The Truth."

May 01 2007 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meneses

We saw Mr. Poston at The Palm restaurant in West L.A. a couple of years ago, as he made his way to the exit, my wife looked up at him, he realized she recognized him and gave her a warm smile. Godspeed.

May 01 2007 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Goodnight Peeper, you'll be missed.

May 01 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Satine

How sad. My parents watched Newhart faithfully, and when I wasn't being an irritable teenager, I would watch it with them. I'm not familiar with any of his other work, but he made me smile when he was on Newhart.

May 01 2007 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply