December 18, 2014

A change is gonna come for 24

by Paul Goebel, posted May 2nd 2007 8:40PM

Is this the kind of change 24 fans want?In a recent interview, producer/writer Howard Gordon told the press that he has been dramatically affected by the criticism 24 has gotten from its fans. It would seem that the show is in for a big change and I, for one, don't like it.

I was discussing the show with some friends the other day and one of them was saying they think the show has gone too far. "I mean, how can Jack get released from torturous imprisonment and be ready to save the world without a break?" they asked. Quite frankly, I was offended.

Jack Bauer is one of the few remaining American heroes. He is my generations answer to James Bond. This is the same guy who has repeatedly worked to save the world for 24 hours straight without eating, sleeping changing clothes or even going to the bathroom. In every sense of the phrase, Jack Bauer is the man.

The character of Jack Bauer and Keifer Sutherland's portrayal of him are at the heart of what makes 24 work as a series. Aside from playing to our innermost fears of terror at our front door, every character plays his or her role with the same ferocity and dead seriousness that befits a show like 24. I admit there are times when I think the show is stretching things a little thin, but those thoughts are fleeting, at best, because I am immediately pulled back into the drama of the show by just about every character. Jack, Chloe, Tony, Edgar, the Palmer brothers and yes, even Kim Bauer engage me in a way that few TV characters ever have. I simply can't get enough of this show.

A little change can indeed be good for a show, but I, for one, watch because I know what to expect from the characters I have come to know. I think adding great characters like Noah Daniels is more than enough to keep the show fresh.

So to those of you, who find 24 hard to believe, remember, when you doubt Jack Bauer, the terrorists win.

Joe Bane

FUCK AOL! I HOPE AOL DIES A MISERABLE DEATH! IT JUMPED THE SHARK YEARS AGO!

May 14 2007 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharky\'s Machine

The producers of 24 keep trying to surprise and shock the viewers and in return go over the top. There was no need to kill off Tony ,Michelle , Curtis or David Palmer. It did not add to the show but detracted from it. Wouldn't it be better if Tony or Michelle returned in an episode down the line (say in season 8)? How many times will CTU LA be infiltrated in some form or another? And Wayne Palmer as Prez? Give me a break. Rick Schroder's character is a nice add. More LA CTU agents get whacked than quit. I agree that Jack needs a new office like Chicago or NY or maybe should go abroad. There are better ways to keep the show fresh than trying to out-shock the previous seasons. 24 needs to be wary of shark jumping.

May 14 2007 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

THE PICTURE -- I had to Google this to find out what the story was. He was at Dimples, a karaoke bar in LA, and for some unknown reason he decided he didn't want to wear his pants. He not only sat around like that but got up and danced around.

May 05 2007 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Delmarc

C.C, I never agreed on your theories one bit, but I gotta say, I agree 100% with that last post. Seasons 1 and 5 were just outstanding, while 3 and 6 were the complete opposite. I like that whole analogy with rock albums, and I do believe once this season is over, some of it's highlights and good points will be valued more. Hey, 24 was able to come back after a weak season 3 with a pretty good season 4 and then it followed it up with the legendary season 5, so Im hoping good stuff happens after this current season.

May 04 2007 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I would make the analogy that each season of 24 is like an album that a famous, acclaimed rock band puts out every year. Some albums are five star masterpieces (seasons 1 and 5), others are critical disappointments (seasons 3 and 6). But all the albums are part of this band's oeuvre. We may not purchase the album because we don't like it, but do we stop being fans of this band? Do we quit attending their concerts? No.

Also, it happens that an album is panned by the press and the fans initially, because the expectations were so high before it came out. But years later, the fans look back and realize that despite the fact it wasn't a masterpiece, there were still some quality songs on it.

Somehow, I foresee that this season will look better once we're removed from it, and we see how it fits into the overall scheme of the series.

May 03 2007 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boobi

JACK BAUER FOR PRESIDENT '08!!!!!!!!!!!

May 03 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

I don't think peoples expectations are that it would live up to a "perfect" season 5....But I think the expectations were there that it would not do a complete 180 in just 1 season. In five seasons it had been up and down, but at it's worst -- it was good....This season has just been a real stinker after the first 4 episodes. (With the first 4 being on par or better than anything that came before.)

May 03 2007 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkiatotx

Paul - PLEASE tell us...

What's up with the pic?????

May 03 2007 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

I was worried I would be the only person to notice that picture! (I think #16 was the first :))

May 03 2007 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

What is up with that photo?

May 03 2007 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply