December 21, 2014

What's new and what's coming back on Comedy Central

by Adam Finley, posted May 2nd 2007 12:50PM

lil bushHere's the rundown on what Comedy Central has in store for this summer:

Returning series include Mind of Mencia (new season starts July 8 at 10:00 p.m.), and a new Comedy Central Roast premiering sometime in August, though we don't know who'll be roasted just yet.

Now on to the new stuff:

In June look for new stand-up specials from Larry the Cable Guy (Larry the Cable Guy: Morning Constitutions on June 3 at 8:00 p.m.), Brian Reagan (June 10 at 10:00 p.m.) and Daniel Tosh (Daniel Tosh: Completely Serious on June 17 at 10:00 p.m.).

Another stand-up special featuring comedian Gabriel Iglesias will premiere August 4.

Lil' Bush, an animated series featuring the president and his staff (not to mention his enemies) as little kids a la The Little Rascals, debuts June 13 at 10:30 p.m.

In July, some of your favorite webisodes make it to the TV screen for Web Shows, a showcase of the best series from ComedyCentral.com and Atom Entertainment, including "Golden Age" (which I said would make a great addition to Adult Swim) and "I Love the '30s." It premieres July 2 at the ungodly hour of 2:00 a.m., but that's why we have DVRs.

Also in July, the aforementioned American Body Shop, yet another improvised series in the vein of Reno 911!, Dog Bites Man and Halfway Home. The series premieres July 8 at 10:30 p.m.

mikecanada

There Roast is going to with Flavor Flav

May 02 2007 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I find Carlos Mencia so unfunny that I can't even sit through the promos for his show. Blech. Man, sometimes CC just latches onto a show for a while ("Battlebots," anyone?) before they finally cut it loose and do us all a favor. I can't wait until the cut loose "The Showbiz Show," too. Those are another set of promos that leave me queasy.

May 02 2007 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Myers

It's amazing that MenStealia has a show - if you haven't seen the Joe Rogan bits about how much theivery he does in regards to jokes, do yourself a favor and YouTube it. He even rips off Bill Cosby, from Bill Cosby Himself. Terrible.

Now Lil' Bush? How many GW Bush shows can Comedy Central do? We already had "That's My Bush", and on the animation tip, we've seen ol Dubya on Family Guy and American Dad. Okay, we get it. He's an idiot. Low approval rating. But enough already - let's get... dare I say... CREATIVE???

As for "Web Shows" - I think this already aired. It's on my Tivo right now, and it's... hit or miss. Some sketches are laugh out loud, but most were not. I'd recommend "Human Giant" on MTV for some smarter sketch comedy....

May 02 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I friend of mine hates the show so much that before it even comes up on screen he has read the bottom (the title of the show) and starts freakign out at how bad the show is. Normally if he hates a show he complains after 10 minutes, but the show is so bad he will have a fit if it shows up.

So no one watches that show?

May 02 2007 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

I hate the Bush Administration but what the hell? I don't need a bunch of stale Bush is dumb jokes, Lil' Bush sounds incredibly stupid. That Body Shop show looks kind of good. I just hope they steer away from the same old black guy and gay guy stereotypes that dominate Reno and HalfWay Home. Because aside from those gags the shows are hilarious. But man I wish CC would bring back SNL reruns because is a horrible at showing SNL reruns!

May 02 2007 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Mencia was renewed? Are there people who like that?

Even with South Park, The Daily Show and Colbert, Comedy Central was more consistently good when it was all MST 3K, SNL reruns and stand up comedians.

May 02 2007 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

Isn't Comedy Central airing a new season of Mencia right now?! Do enough people really watch that show to warrant it getting a new season every three months?

May 02 2007 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Matisoff

Ughh.... I can't stand Mencia, has to be one of the most annoying comics around. How does he have his own show when talented guys like Demetri Martin have had only one CC Special. Lil Bush looks good though.

I wish Comedy Central would bring back any of the following: Stella, Kid Notorious, Trigger Happy TV

May 02 2007 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Mind of Mencia is such a bad show. Imus gets fired for his "joke" yet this asss is still on the air.

And no Drawn Together?

CC really needs to bring Futurama back faster.

May 02 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply