September 21, 2014

Will The Office expand to one hour?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 3rd 2007 5:21PM

The OfficeThat's one of the revelations in this Forbes mag piece about Jeff Zucker and NBC. It says that not only is it possible that NBC will cancel Law and Order (the first one, CI and SVU are pretty safe), Zucker and Kevin Reilly are thinking seriously about making The Office a one hour show.

Hmmm...a one hour Office? I don't know. Will that be too much of a good thing? Bigger isn't necessarily better.

Zucker also discloses that when NBC gives its upfront (on May 14), there will be 5 new shows announced: three dramas, one comedy, and one reality show. I've never been good at math, so I'll leave it to you to decipher what that means about which current shows will and won't return.

[via TV Tattle]

JW

I don't watch the Office, I tried once, but didn't really get it. But anyways I think NBC should stick to 30 minutes shows from 7 till 9 (more shows) and then that one hour ER. Thursday night used to be Must See Tv on NBC...more shows would get more people watching....but if they did do 1 hour...move it to a different night.

May 03 2007 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bearxor

New Comedy: The IT Crowd

May 03 2007 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Woods

How about more regular size episodes and less reruns.
That's a crazy idea. :-)

May 03 2007 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j

u wanna see the real office it was made in the uk went for 6 half hour episodes and is comedy classic.NBC dont ruin one of the greatest comedies in years

May 03 2007 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

First, Toolman, you are a tool.

Also, I agree that it should be 40 minute episodes. I LOVE the office, and 40 seems good.

May 03 2007 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

The reason three 40-min shows will never happen is because of the way broadcast TV is rated: Nielsen ratings are given for half-hour, hour blocks.

Given that, an hour-long Office would be great: it gives the show space to breath, plots & characters to develop, and allows for all those deliciously extended awkward moments that make up the show. Also it could go up against the hour-long Ugly Betty, a good matchup.

May 03 2007 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Maybe it's time to question this whole business of half-hour and hour shows. I'm not sure if "The Office" could sustain for an hour (with commercials) but I am willing to bet that it could manage 40 minutes. So why not a block of three 40 minute comedies instead of four 30 minute shows? Oh yeah, syndication. I don't know, I think it's still worth thinking about; broadcast TV needs people to think about a lot of things in new ways if it's going to survive.

May 03 2007 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan S.

Nope, Nope, Nope. Sorry to burst all of your guys bubbles, but part of the reason the Office is great is that it is only 22 minutes. Any more than that, it starts to grate on you. Nope, Nope, Nope; it would be great for like 5 or 6 epi. but then they would run out of jokes, story, and Michael and Dwight would become the most annoying combaination of characters in quite some time. Nope, Nope, Nope

May 03 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Here that sound Bob? It's the nails gonig into the Studio 60 coffin.

May 03 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I'd prefer it if The Office was 40 hours a week.

May 03 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply