July 25, 2014

Stargate SG-1: The Shroud

by Will O'Brien, posted May 5th 2007 4:35PM
Daniel, now a prior, spends the episode convincing SG-1 to follow his plan
(S10E14) I've been trying to figure out just where the title of The Shroud comes from. I've still got no idea, but I do know that SG-1 turned in a great episode last night. Unfortunately, the previews gave away some plot details. I spent most of the episode wondering when Daniel would break free from his confinement chair.

I'm still a bit miffed by the previews for the episode. Just knowing that Daniel was returning as a Prior negated most of the suspense. When Daniel appears, preaching to a village, we knew it was him - despite the hood and the altered appearance. The real crux of the episode was the time spent determining Daniel's fate. Deciding if he was on the level or trying to trick them was still up in the air, but we knew he'd break out of the chair eventually.

I definitely enjoyed the conversations between Daniel and the others. His normalized demeanor combined with the Prior look just cracked me up. I was hoping for a bit more from Vala. Her conversation with Daniel fell a bit short by my expectation. She's damn smart, but didn't have a plan. It's easy for me to suggest this after the fact, but having her tamper with the beaming controls on the ship would have fit her and Daniel's relationship just perfectly.

Things get interesting once Daniel escapes the chair and takes over the Odyssey. Adria's appearance is a nice surprise. For a short time we wonder if Daniel has actually turned to the Ori's side. That is, until he takes out Adria. The plan just manages to succeed, but there is one hitch. The team didn't have a plan for disabling the super-gate after the original gate was destroyed. Why wouldn't they re-deploy another gate at the black hole and prevent any future Ori visitors?
rating 6
It was a great episode, slightly tainted by the previews and a lack of follow up strategic planning.

Sue

Well this is an eps that I gave one of the best eps ever for the fact we have Jack N Daniel banter back. Which is missed but Mitchell and DAniel seem to banter in their own way.

And nice to Vala put fourth the question about what if roles were reversed even though he has backed her every step of the way.

Just an over all great team eps.

May 14 2007 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

Even though this episode was predictable, it still has heart. There is great chemistry between both Daniel and Jack and Daniel and Vala. I think this is the big reason that so many stories revolve around Daniel - Shanks is awesome. Honestly, there was probably even chemistry between Daniel and Vala's daughter.

I loved the scene with Daniel and Vala. How hilarious was it for her to sit there on his lap and chat with him like he's Santa while in reality he looks like a Prior? But I think it was only right that Vala didn't believe him. She's more vested in this story than any of the others. Only she truly understands how easy it is for people to fall under the spell of the Ori. So even though she would trust Daniel with her own life, she can't trust him with the lives of everyone in the galaxy.

May 11 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobW

They did have a plan for disrupting the wormhole from the Ori galaxy - they talked about beaming a Mk IX gate buster just behind the event horizon to disconnect the wormhole, but they never followed through with that. I suppose with O'Neil by himself on the Odyssey, it would have been implausible for him to suddenly push the "Beam Gatebuster into place" button, but you think Carter might have thought of something.

May 08 2007 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Morena Baccarin's presence trumps any bad episode

May 06 2007 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon88

"Unfortunately, the previews gave away some plot details .... I'm still a bit miffed by the previews for the episode." And yet you continue to watch the previews. Perhaps you could, oh, I dunno, maybe ... not?

May 06 2007 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I missed all the promos, but I still knew everything that was going to happen. It's amazing how SG-1 and Atlantis are so different in terms of quality. I think it's glaringly apparent that SG-1's time was up last year - this season has been chock full of stinkers like this episode. Boring and totally, 100% predictable. I knew every single thing that was going to happen or was going to be said before it showed up on screen. It was cliche city. If I had to use the really stupid TV Squad rating system, I'd give it a 3, tops.

Loved Daniel and Jack though. Always a great bit of chemistry there.

May 06 2007 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

Excellent "team" episode, and so wonderful to see Jack as part of the team again!

Morjana

May 06 2007 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thigh_High_Boots

Loved the interaction between Jack & Daniel....
'Have I ever lied to you before?' Also with Vala ...would you believe me if the roles were reversed? I liked how they let Cam keep his role as comedy relief there instead of Jack taking the whole bit. What the heck happened to Dr. Lam? I know she's married to Michael Shanks and they have two kids, but has there ever been a reason for Gen Landry's daughter being gone?

May 05 2007 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Well Andrew, they were originally going to have Daniel stay evil for a big arc (I believe it was 3-4 episodes) but with the cancelleation they decided to tidy it down to a one episode story.

As for the promos...I refuse to watch them since SciFi has an idiot in charge of making the promos for the show.

May 05 2007 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Liptak

It was a fun episode to watch, but I felt that because they left a back door to turn Daniel normal again, they really cut off a plotline that could have been really cool. Evil Daniel?

May 05 2007 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply