August 22, 2014

CSI: Mistake - Getting rid of Wolfe smart?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 6th 2007 4:44PM
WolfeWell the weekend is here and since I never had a chance to see this past Monday's installment of CSI: Miami (S05E22, "Burned"), I figured I'd sit down and watch the crappy feed on the CBS website. For whatever reason, my TiVo tweaked out last week and never recorded the show. So to those who were expecting my weekly post, I apologize. That being said, it seems foolish to write up a normal review this late in the game especially since there's really only one thing that people are talking about: the firing of Ryan Wolfe.

Beyond the fact that the episode brought back both Yelena and Stetler, Wolfe is still what's worth talking about. It's funny if you think about it, because CSI: Miami seems to have higher turnover than either of the other two shows. The Vegas cast has pretty much stayed the same and in New York, the only casualty thus far has been Aiden. In Miami, Megan left the team midway through season one, Speedle was killed in the season three premiere, and ever since the death of Ray, Yelena's appearances have been few and far between.

So what does the firing of Wolfe mean? Well at this point, based on the previews for tomorrow night's episode, it looks like Wolfe's previous relationship with Erika Sikes is back on. Only this time, it's professional. He's on TV in some sort of news reporter/crime analyst role. Clearly he's no longer going to be getting along with his former team and I think we can assume that he's bitter about the way his tenure at the Miami-Dade Police Department ended when Stetler took his gun and badge.

Of course, all this begs the question, "when did Wolfe become that guy?" He's always been an upstanding cop, concerned with the case and getting the criminal and now he's a serial gambler in the hole for thousands? Just look at his progression. Horatio even hand-picked him from the uniformed officers to replace Speedle. So needless to say, this does feel a little out of left-field as up until now, the only questionable thing he's done was agree to take part in that city sponsored documentary. Which begs the next question. Was this move to TV planned all along, with the documentary being used as a spring-board and his firing simply expediting the process? I assume we'll get answers tomorrow night, but in the meantime what's everyone's opinion because I'm starting to think that maybe Wolfe isn't who we thought he was.

mrlorax

What was the name of the songwriter/singer shown at the end of the episode aired 05/14/07?

May 16 2007 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike adams

If anyone remembers, Wolfe took a break from investigating the suspect he owed money to to be involved in an "old case"; could have been a snow job, or he could be under-cover...

May 14 2007 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ratchet the Lombax

I think that there may be an underlying reason for his firing. But even it there isn't it won't be any great loss he was a bit annoying. I agree if they do get rid of anyone I would like it to be that coroner she is really annoying how she talks to the bodies.

May 07 2007 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OhioMoose

Wolfe is going to come back, probably after some successful undercover arrest. This is way too predictable. H was grinning his mouth off (even with Caruso's perpetual smirk) as he watched Wolfe slink off in disgrace.

Short of a salary dispute (wrong time of the season for that), Wolfe isn't going anywhere.

May 07 2007 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony B

Not to get too philosophical about this plot twist but there seems to be something to Wolfe not "breaking the law" but "breaking the rules". For the first time I thought Stetler did the right thing in firing Wolfe. His mistake could open loads of cases for scrutiny and convicts could walk for that.

May 07 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bas

I would love for Wolfe to be gone. He was one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen on tv.

The show has really gone downhill after the death of Speedle and the suicide of the cop (sorry, I forgot his name) that dated Callie/H's brother's partner.

If anyone else is going to leave the show, could it please be the coroner? I hate when she calls the corpses "baby."

May 07 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

My $.02 is that NBC needs to bring the Black Donnelly's back and quickly.

I left CSI: Miami to watch TBD then NBC couldn't handle a good show AGAIN and so I thought I would give Miami another try ... well disappointment AGAIN, this show has become just utter crap and I like the other Two installments of the CSI shows. So whatever I won't be watching from here on out. Period.

May 07 2007 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jill

Jake is correct. To beg the question does not mean to cause one to ask the question. To beg the question is an error in the logic of an argument where the conclusion is based on an assumption that has not been proven.

I was confused about why Wolfe got fired when he paid the bookie instead of settling his debt by doing something to get the guy off. I even watched the crappy feed on the CBS website thinking I must have missed something. I don't get it.

May 07 2007 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

So Wolfe isn't actually "leaving" the show at all, I would have thought there would have been buzz about that. They seem that they're just going to shift him over to another role? I think that their team is pretty sparse as it is, they never seem to really be stretched over more than one case as the other two CSI's are (they always seem to intersect in some way).

I think Wolfe could end up getting his job back if the actor is still contracted to continue with the show. He was fired for the pay-off, right? Or was it really because he didn't come clean when Horatio asked him? I have a feeling there may be some sort of shady blackmail-like deal (not actual blackmail, H nor the DA would fall for it) that may come out of Wolfe working the television angle.

Delko has always been truthful to H when he's asked, that's why I think H bends over backwards to keep him and didn't do so for Wolfe. Overall, Delko's had much shadier dealings and occurrences - he's just lucky that H married his sister as well.

If they leave Wolfe out with the television reporter angle, I think that'll spread the cast too thin and put too much strain on telling the story. Hopefully they move some of the evening shift, that will allow for them to feasibly pull more characters into the lab aspect. Any news on additions to the cast?

May 06 2007 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Two issues. One, you misused beg the question!!!!!

second I stopped watching CSI Miami about the time the Wolfe character appeared. Way too annoying to be entertained.

May 06 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply