November 28, 2014

BewbTewb: Damned before you begin?

by Scott Johnson, posted May 7th 2007 2:40PM
bewbtewb
I was REALLY looking forward to seeing how Drive turned out. It was just what I seemed to be craving in my weekly TV diet: another bout of addiction to serialized drama and paranormal wonderment. Sadly, FOX gave it the old kick in the proverbial shorts, and I find myself sadly wanting more. You have to wonder, after all the work that goes into a series like that, do the networks plan on giving it a snowball's chance in hell, and only the super lucky survive?

Knowing that Seinfeld was nearly canceled after season one, and that 24 was on the chopping block before it was able to take hold makes me realize how many great shows we are missing simply because the networks don't have the faith or the desire to see good projects through the storm. Hence the comic.

Christopher J. Arndt

"Knowing that Seinfeld was nearly canceled after season one, and that 24 was on the chopping block before it was able to take hold makes me realize how many great shows we are missing simply because the networks don't have the faith or the desire to see good projects through the storm."

That's not the lesson at all! The lesson to take from that is how many great shows were once crap or were considered crap before they either proved themselves, or evolved to become good. Therefore many shows that are now crap or mediocre could grow to be good or great if given the chance, or not.

One cannot assume that a show that is cancelled would be good mand thus we are missing a good show but for cancellation: that ways lies superstition and madness. Oftentimes a pilot is cancelled because it is not good enough and must be left that way.

The only reason I can possibly be upset about Drive is that I liked the show, it was promoted to me for months, and was on the air for less than nine days.

May 08 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Go figure Fox cancels another great show. I swear, Nathan Fillion better start working on a show on another network. First Firefly, now Drive? When will these networks realize that there are a lot of loyal watchers who will spend the time to watch something besides crappy reality shows or idiot game shows? I realize the money involved, but they're losing constant viewers to cable networks. Why? Not because of swearing or violence (but maybe the nudity helps), but because the cable networks don't have as many idiotic shows. They're thought out and draw the viewer in... at least most of them.

May 08 2007 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Speaking of Daybreak, any word on whether or not the complete series will be released on DVD so those of us who actually liked the show can finish it off in peace?

May 08 2007 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Come on, people. Most of us are smarter than the network executives. Go over to DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com, search out which pilots are most likely to get picked up, then head over to TheFutonCritic.com and search out the premise and the stars of those pilots mentioned, and then ask yourself: Is this show really going to make it?

Most of the shows that "test well" and may get picked up will be canceled by the end of the season. Some sooner.

May 08 2007 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

Fox isn't the only offender... just the worst.

If it's a serial drama, and it's on Fox, just don't watch it.

May 07 2007 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith Turner

After Reunion flashed across the screen (and I missed the final episode), I decided I wasn't going to start watching any Fox shows until they were renewed for Season 2. My resolve failed with Wedding Bells - a guilty pleasure offering relief from the Friday night blight - I managed to see all the episodes broadcast and was finally getting the sisters, their employees, their friends and their clients sorted out and it too was cancelled.

Note to Fox programming: Try limiting the number of characters, and/or subplots and continuing story arcs, to the number of episodes you plan to broadcast.

May 07 2007 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

Hahaha...thanks, I needed a laugh. Great cartoon.

May 07 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

I think Drive split people in 2 camps.. The ones that hate it.. and the right side that loved it! :D guess you won this battle, haters!! :D

May 07 2007 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher J. Arndt

Drive was not "actually pretty bad". What it was is a show that I was actually watching.

I've stopped watching most TV.

They promoted the show for months and cancelled it after eight days.

Screw them.

May 07 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

It's called an editorial cartoon, Jameson. If you had the stamp read 'delecnac' the joke wouldn't be there.

:P