October 30, 2014

CSI: Miami: Kill Switch

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 7th 2007 11:59PM

Jonathan Togo as Ryan Wolfe on CSI: Miami.(S05E23) "I wear make-up now." -Wolfe

Great episode! Solid case, plenty of tense moments, and what turned out to be a really good (slightly cheesy) performance from Jonathan Togo.

The big question on everyone's mind? Wolfe ain't going anywhere. Looks like we're only getting one episode revolving around his brief flirtation with being a TV news "special correspondent," and one was more than enough. It was thoroughly enjoyable but man, was it weird to see him doing something so different or what? It definitely felt like he was selling out his former colleagues by busting out some of the tricks of the trade on live TV, but at least he came to his senses by the end of the hour.

The case the team was up against was very well laid out and included some fairly decent twists, although the outcome was still pretty predictable. I loved that fact that Chris Carmack guest-starred too. Whenever I see him all I can think of is, "Welcome to the O.C. bitch!"

At this point, talking about the case is pretty inconsequential because with only one episode to go (next week is the season five finale), all our season story arcs are starting to wrap up. First off is the pseudo-romance that's started to develop between Calleigh and Delko. It definitely feels like it may be going somewhere and we got a sense of how Delko feels when we saw his reaction to Calleigh having a phone conversation with Jake. If I recall correctly, we haven't seen him since the episode when Natalia's ex Nick Townsend (Rob Estes) was murdered. Anyway, Delko seemed jealous, so it'll be interesting to see if he pursues what he feels in the finale next week.

OK, back to Wolfe. As I said, it was a little cheesy near the end. Especially with the whole "I was born to be a cop" montage. It was cool to see some of the old scenes from previous episodes, but yeah... cheesy. I loved how he came to Horatio at the end though. That was a solid move to promise his presence in court whenever any of his old cases were re-opened. Notice how he mentioned that it didn't matter if he never got his job back too? Now that he quit the news station gig, what's he going to do for income?

rating 6Overall, very enjoyable and pretty much exactly what I'd expect from CSI: Miami during sweeps. Not perfect, but definitely worth watching. I suppose there's a reason why this show is the number one program in the world (crazy... I know). Everyone can enjoy it though. 6 out of 7.

natalie

I want to know the maker of the short terry outfit the girl was wearing who was hijacked.

May 18 2007 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DLong

The song at the end of Kill Switch was Carry Me by The Jealous Girlfriends

May 11 2007 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

Does anyone know what the name of the song is that was played at the end of this episode while Horatio and Wolfe were talking?

May 10 2007 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarakanne

So, what was the point of Sofia Milos brief appearance in last week's "Burned" episode? I thought she was coming back as Caruso's love interest. No mention of her on "Kill Switch". The writers need to develop some storylines outside the crime lab. We need to see some of these guys' personal lives like Horatio hooking up with Yelina and or Marisol (Law and Order is not going to be renewed next season so Alana de la Garza will be available to come back from the dead.) Surely these CSI's are entirely one dimensional. All work and no play makes Jack and Jill rather dull. Ann Donahue--please get Horatio a love interest and a demonstrative one!

May 08 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

I've been fed up with most of this season, but this week (and last week) were easily among the best of the season. It was nice to see Ryan finally own up to his mistakes, and I hope this marks a turning point for the character, going back to the kind of person he was when he was first introduced.

May 08 2007 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I love it when people from the US considering something #1 means it's the best in the world

Which reminds me of Die Hard with a Vengeance. 100m US$ at the US box office and 261m US$ in the rest of the world (just read that today). Or Robbie Williams, who is a absolute Zero in the US and a big hit in the rest of the world.

Who again won that world cup of baseball (or whatever they called it). I think it was south korea? *snicker* I sometimes wonder how every winner of a US trophy is "world champion" and the US president isn't the president of the world :-)

It's also funny that it's now called "NFL Europe" with 5 german and one dutch team. You could just as easily name it "NFL Germany" now. And they aren't playing the "World Bowl" anymore they now call it something else.

Anyway, I honestly can't wait for real Baseball and NFL world cups with teams from all over the world taking part in it and the US pro leagues finally dropping the "world champion" titles. It seems so absolutely pompous and I would really rather see the US teams win titles fair and square like the FIBA basketball world cup. The US players really are the best basketball players in the world hands down, I also guess the same goes to baseball. They should be allowed to show that skill in real competitions with teams from around the world :-)

Ok that was completely off-topic. Sorry :-)

May 08 2007 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugeliver

DudeBoyz you saved me some typing! I concur unequivocably. : )

May 08 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DudeBoyz

Meh.

So Horatio tells Wolfe that since he came correct, they won't give up on him. Guess that means Wolfe is around for the long-haul.

How the heck does the guy get his job back though? Is it because he should have just been suspended (first offense) instead of fired, according to union rules or something? Thought civil servants got some protection for initial goof-ups to prevent getting fired for such a one-off. Guess we will see.

I did think that "bear trap" thing was absolutely lame, and how many times must we see Horatio standing solo on the deck of a Coast Guard ship, looking like John Wayne coming to take down the bad guys at sea?

I like David Caruso a lot, but those dramatic slow motion silhouettes against the vibrant Miami sky can really be over used, as can the whole "check the sunglasses" vibe they usually include in those.

I wish they would tone it down just a bit. Horatio is NOT supposed to be Clark Kent / Superman, now is he? Perhaps take him off the pedastal and make him "mortal" again, ok? :)

May 08 2007 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply