April 24, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Into the Woods

by Jen Creer, posted May 7th 2007 12:58AM
lynnette and rick(S03E21) I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait to find out what happens in the next few episodes. I still miss Bree and Orson, but the storylines are fantastic right now! And I like the stronger role they have moved Edie into while Bree is gone. I hope Edie doesn't get moved to the backseat once Bree returns.

Edie
So, let's talk about Edie first. Thank God Carlos has integrity. I have sympathy for Edie because I think she recognizes that as a threesome, she and Carlos and Travers have a really good thing. But she isn't thinking about what is best for her child. That puppy was just over the top. I can't believe Travers didn't see right through that.

It was very human and genuine when Edie looked Carlos right in the eye, though, and said, "Don't say that if you don't really mean it." It was like Carlos was falling on his sword to protect Travers when he realized what Edie was doing: trying to get joint custody of her son to keep Carlos around. And, did you see the previews for upcoming events? Do you believe that? (I am trying not to give away any spoilers here if you haven't seen the previews yet.) It is going to be very interesting to find out whether Carlos and Edie end up together in the long run, especially if Gaby actually marries Victor.

Gaby
The minute Victor said, "Your behavior reflects on me," I said out loud, "Turn around and run out of the room." Yes, I think Victor has valid points about Gaby needing to behave more maturely. However, I don't think that that necessarily goes hand-in-hand with his becoming her significant other. He doesn't get to privatize who she is. As Gaby pointed out, "That was just me being me. I thought you liked that." Asking someone to adopt a public persona is not a small thing. It would be one thing if Gaby really loved Victor and wanted to share in his political career, but she is just careening toward a collision. And, thank you DH writers for hammering my point home when Victor's goons beat up the meter reader. What is this, the mafia? I hope there is only one wedding at the end of the season. Does anybody think Gaby is really going to go through with this?

Susan
Susan is everything her guide said she is. She is a drama queen who doesn't know simply how to be happy. Maybe that is another reason she broke up with Ian. Maybe she figured that life would be too boring with him. Don't get me wrong. I am not defending Ian. Good riddance. It's a testament to Dougray Scott that he can be so likeable in Ever After and so horrid in DH. On the other hand, Mike does love Susan, warts and all. So, I'm glad that she went after him, in typical Susan fashion. But honestly, doesn't anybody on this show suffer the ill effects of hypothermia and dehydration?

Lynnette
This was absolutely a great storyline. Well-written and well-acted. I think Rick was genuinely surprised when Lynnette fired him, and that Tom was right. I think Rick actually thought that he had more of a chance than the strength of a ten-year marriage. The writing was so spot on - Tom seeing exactly what was going on in the video tape; his confrontation with Rick; Lynnette admitting that she had gotten too close to the line, but then telling Rick that she had no other choice but to fire him. The scene with Lynnette crying quietly in the bathroom was very rating 6poignant and very real. Very un-campy. It was beautifully handled. I know that Lynnette danced too close to the line, but she did the right thing. And that gives her a lot of points in my book. Do you think she should be hailed for that, or castigated for letting things go as far as they did?

This was a stellar episode. I'm giving it a 6, on a scale from 1 to 7 with 7 being the highest.

(Desperate Housewives - S03E21) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst2 (1.1%)
21 (0.6%)
34 (2.3%)
49 (5.1%)
531 (17.6%)
675 (42.6%)
7 - Best54 (30.7%)

Rick

Gordy,
I may be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if a subpoena shows up before the end of the season.
It may not be right in "legal terms" but in sitcom terms it generates a crisis for Lynette for next season.
Since when does accuracy limit TV? I'm a surgeon and I rarely, if ever, see a medical situation handled properly on any show, except maybe Scrubs.
House, Grey's, ER, etc. are all so outlandish they drove me to jeer at the screen the few times I could stick it out through an episode.

May 07 2007 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

This show has gone beyond unwatchable.

Susan, high school is over. Grow up.

Edie, you're not deserving to be a mother. Playing your kid for a man. Despicable

Lynette, whine whine whine. I used to like you until I saw that you're a ball busting bitch who has to have it your way. You only broke up with coke boy because you got caught.

Gaby, eat a freakin' sandwich and put on a pound or twenty. You're not the head cheerleader any more. Like Susan, high school is over. She's like a Latino Paris Hilton. There's nothing redeeming about her. The cute, helpless, woman act got old the day you turned 18.

Mike and Carlos are the only two likable characters right now. Even those two are treading on thin ice. Both need to grow a pair and leave the drama queens.

May 07 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie

The best reason to watch Desperate Housewives this season is to watch Carlos and Edie. Who knew Carlos was soooo sexy! Gaby is pathetic, I have to fast forward thru her childish antics. Susan is too studpid, but her daughter is a jewel. I felt so sorry for Lynette. The only 30 minutes of her day that she thoroughly enjoyed was spent with a sexy young man making dinner for her and treated her like a woman...not a doormat! I felt like crying with Lynette when she had to face that horrible pizza parlor with her sorry, flaky husband and those kids! I thought she might drown herself in that tub.

May 07 2007 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Not quite Rclay. This, in fact, was handled perfectly. Once Lynette realize that the situation had 'crossed the line' she stated that he 'had to go'. Up to that point, it was just innuendo, flirting, and rumors. Once he openly stated that he had feelings for her, the line was crossed, and she made the statement and left the room. If she had done nothing, and let the situation continue, maybe. See, sexual harassment (in legal terms) begins 'after' the first incident.

Furthermore, he stated to Tom that he would stay as long as Lynette wanted him there, so, was he fired? Did he quit?

Finally, just cause someone has 'a million-dollar sexual harassment lawsuit,' that should not imply that they have 'a million-dollar sexual harassment judgement,' especially if the complainant is an out of work recovering coke-head.

May 07 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Lynette just handed Rick a million-dollar sexual harassment lawsuit. He was fired because his boss had feelings for him and she admitted it. It's about power and she was the boss. He's the poor struggling coke-addict just getting his life back together when this wily seductress led him astray then fired him when he reacted. Denny Crain couldn't defend it.

May 07 2007 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caela

Lynette didnt have on her orange shirt, because she changes to look sexy for her dinners with Rick. She also wears her hair down. At the end of the show, she pulled her hair back up before she went into the bathroom to cry.

May 07 2007 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Why wasn't Lynette wearing the orange shirt when they were robbed? I know she's a manager, but Tom wears his.

I'm glad they decided to take her story in that direction. Lynette isn't Gaby, she honors her vows.

May 07 2007 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I still miss Bree, but the other three (Gaby, Susan, and Lynette) story lines were excellent. Especially Gaby, and the 'Married to the Mob' angle that I did not see coming at all. I just don't see Carlos living too long if she marries him.

Lynette, what can I say...just excellent.

Susan and Mike deserve each other. She does tend to be overly dramatic, but, he's so dull that they match perfectly.

So sick of Edie.

May 07 2007 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Wasn't Edie's Ex-husband the guy from BJ and the Bear??
Lynette has turned into such a whine-butt. What a baby. Live up to your responsibilities like every other person in America, and forget about the cokehead. That story is so annoying, and the actress has only two faces:fake happy, and put-upon.

May 07 2007 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I agree, this show has definitely returned to its roots and is now featuring women who are truly desperate again. Gaby is really going to have to decide how much to compromise herself for the sake of money. Carlos always let her run loose and wild and she could do her own thing. Now that she is involved with another man who challenges her when she gets out of line, things will be different. She will be pushed to the point where she has to make a choice and I think she'll decide for her independance and not for all the perks the marriage would bring.

Lynette's story has been fascinating to see unfold. I wondered the past few weeks just what her motivation might be for staying with Rick so late. After last night, it was clear that all she really wanted was time away from the chaos of her home life and Rick shattered that when he read more into it than that. I hated the fact that she didn't tell Tom the truth when she got home though. He's an insecure, emotional baby and Lynette let him think that he was the one who pushed Rick out of her life. Nothing could be further from the truth and I see it causing the rift between the two of them even more. Terrific writing for this duo and I can't wait to see how things develop between them.

Edie and Carlos? Wow, what a turnaround for these two characters. Who saw this one coming a few months ago? Carlos has really stepped up to another level and he's just about the best guy on the block instead of one of the worst. I too am glad that Edie's character has gotten some much deserved face time. She's played a secondary character since the show's inception and I find her current story MUCH more compelling than that of Susan. I'd be happy to see her and Mike move away and live happily ever after OFF of Wisteria Lane someplace. She's become a characature of her original self over the last three seasons and frankly, now that Susan and Mike are together, I can't see her story going anywhere else. She's been so one dimensional that I'd much rather see Edie's and Carlos' storyline developed than hers. We'll see what the writers do with them I'm sure.

May 07 2007 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply